TT Scale Models Library Q&A

Re: TT Scale Models Library Q&A

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Ok, misc. it is. By the way, I think between you and Sailor we may get most of the American models :lol:
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Ok Misc. is there : )
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:18 am

Hey, Sailor. I noticed that the Craftsman late 1800's has no wheel sets. Perhaps one of these Pennsylvania style trucks would be appropriate. http://www.modeltrain.cz/item.php?producer=57&item=p1 or http://www.modeltrain.cz/item.php?producer=57&item=p3
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:56 pm

ConducTTor, on your Ludmila posts you mentioned that the roof details vary and indeed I have noticed the pictures. Are the details applied by Roco or are they separately supplied in a detail pack?
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:00 pm

Applied by Roco. While we're on the subject, I believe the new BR 120 and all its variants are same way.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:12 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Applied by Roco. While we're on the subject, I believe the new BR 120 and all its variants are same way.

Nice! I hope they decide to make the Czech version again.

Speaking of the BR120, just got an email that my T679 is on the way. Hopefully it will arrive before I leave for work again on tuesday. Very excited!
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:15 pm

CSD wrote:I hope they decide to make the Czech version again.

Yeah it was on their site until a couple of months ago and then POOF. I bet you could find one somewhere out there - unless your Czech buddies are hording all of them.......
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:34 am

ConducTTor wrote:Ok, misc. it is. By the way, I think between you and Sailor we may get most of the American models :lol:

And to think, when I got into TT scale, I was originally wanting to collect only European models...
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:34 am

areibel, very nice collection of american TT. Your finished items look good. That Scale Rail import is much nicer than its contemporaries. Until now all the american TT I've seen has been disassembled or smashed to bits. Are you planning to restore/complete the rest? How is the function of the old mechanisms?
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby areibel » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:42 pm

CSD wrote:areibel, very nice collection of american TT. Your finished items look good. That Scale Rail import is much nicer than its contemporaries. Until now all the american TT I've seen has been disassembled or smashed to bits. Are you planning to restore/complete the rest? How is the function of the old mechanisms?

Thank You!
I can't take credit for the paint on anything, I have airbrushophobia. I need to just sit down and do it, it is something that takes practice and time. But mu schedule is a little crazy, I work a full time job plus part time for the local shortline RR (The Western New York and Pennsylvania) so time is my biggest constraint.
Restoring the old stuff isn't too hard,I had an experienced TT'er with a great collection give me some tips. A lot of the old time TT'ers must not have been all that skilled, so a lot of them have really bad paint, very thick and the models aren't too well assembled. I have a "wall of shame" collection of some of the worst stuff, everything else gets stripped or reworked.
The easiest way on an old HP loco is to disassemble it completely. Put the drivers, trucks and motor aside. Then everything else gets dunked in a jar of acetone, available in at hardware stores. You have to be careful, it will destroy any plastic (voice of experience here!), but metal or wood will clean up nicely. Plus all the funky old glue comes off so if the cab is glued on too tight to pop off it will come loose in the dish along with any glued on parts..
The motors will usually clean up, clean the armature with a piece of fine emery cloth and oil it up. The quickest way to destroy a motor is to try to pry off the worm gear- don't try to remove them unless you have a small press or can heat it to pull it. Again, voice of experience! The nice thing abbout the DC60 motor is it was used in HO models, so they'll appear at shows and Ebay from time to time. They are a little different, the bottom steel plate isn't milled down to fit between between TT drivers but if you have a junk TT version you can swap the bottom plate to the HO version and voila!
Passenger cars can be anything- HP's are aluminum shells on wood bases with plastic or cast metal ends, Jewel or Starline can be plastic sides or embossed metal, Gandy Dancer made some cast metal ones, etc.. You have to do a little investigating before you get too radical, or they could dissolve!
And freight cars, I usually try to dress them up if they have printed sides. You can clean them up with a damp cloth or alcohol and Q Tips, touch up the paint with a small brush, add some different details- HP's original cars used a small clothing snap for a brake wheel! I usually replace them with oone from Kemtron or Possum valley. The HP trucks are a little funny looking, but they roll well. You can leave them as is, clean the frames up with acetone (but watch the wheelsets- they have a plastic insulator that will go away). I like the Gold Coast /Sleepy Hollow trucks, they're nice and rool as good as any HO truck. Or you can dress up the HP trucks, Possum Valley had a set of resin sideframes you could glue on the HP's with ACC, they look a lot better.
Hal Joyce was a Genius at getting the most models from the least number of parts. Dress snaps for brake wheels, staples for grab irons and steps, it might seem goofy by today's standards but it helped keep the costs down. And the locomotives- for as many as 20 different steam locomotives they were built with two sizes of cabs, three sizes of drivers and three different tenders. The boilers were common on several models, but a lot of them were the only different pieces for a certain model. The Mikado 2-8-2 had the mid sized drivers, but it was the basis for the 4-8-2 and 2-8-4, they had a longer frame and boiler but even the detail parts were common- pilot, lead and trailing trucks, etc.. It does make it a little easier to restore stuff, there aren't a lot of spare parts out there but they often appeared on several models.
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models