TT Scale Market

Re: TT Scale Market

Postby Bernd » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:47 pm

ConducTTor wrote:The GuiTTar case would be a perfect article....

Another good idea. That's one of the topics today, very small layout's.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Seligman Sub » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:26 pm

FWIW- American TT is a total chicken-egg paradox. My perspective is a bit different; my interest in the hobby is more about recreating and operating my favorite railroad in a realistic way. I have limited time to spend on my hobby, between a full time career, raising 3yr old future model railroader and starting over again after a divorce. So I would personally rather spend that limited time on building a layout and any scratch building or modeling of that type is a means to an end.

That being said, I absolutely love the scale, even though I only have a couple of 3d printed cars and loco shells. I've also dabbled in some layout designs in 3rd Planit and its amazing how much more you can do in TT vs HO. I truly feel its the Goldilocks of scales. So if I could get a fair amount of locos, rolling stock and track available in high quality ready to run, I would jump at the chance.

I would think that it would require a significant investment from a company into the scale for it to carve out a niche. I would think at least 4-6 locos and 10-20 types of rolling stock to kind of jump start it. Maybe that's unrealistic but I personally would be hesitant to jump scales unless I was confident I could get (or eventually) get the those products that I would need.

I'm hoping that additive manufacturing keeps improving and hopefully some breakthroughs that might enable companies or individuals to introduce products and lower costs. Carbon3d has a new process that offers real promise. The T-rex head looks like a high quality injection molded part.

My 2 cents.
Seligman Sub

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:07 pm

"but I personally would be hesitant to jump scales unless I was confident I could get (or eventually) get the those products that I would need."

You can always get into TT scale as a secondary scale then switch sometime in the future if the scale becomes more attractive as a primary scale. What I'm doing is slowly building up a TT scale roster by buying a few each of older finished models , older kits, newer kits, and new finished stuff like Gold coast and Saz model products. Buying at a slow pace reduces the frustration of not having everything available on demand. While building my TT collection I'm working on a small TT layout as well as a larger S scale layout but in a few years I'll probably move to a smaller place and the TT scale will become my primary layout scale.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby WillYart » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Seligman Sub wrote:FWIW- American TT is a total chicken-egg paradox. My perspective is a bit different; my interest in the hobby is more about recreating and operating my favorite railroad in a realistic way. I have limited time to spend on my hobby, between a full time career, raising 3yr old future model railroader and starting over again after a divorce. So I would personally rather spend that limited time on building a layout and any scratch building or modeling of that type is a means to an end.

That being said, I absolutely love the scale, even though I only have a couple of 3d printed cars and loco shells. I've also dabbled in some layout designs in 3rd Planit and its amazing how much more you can do in TT vs HO. I truly feel its the Goldilocks of scales. So if I could get a fair amount of locos, rolling stock and track available in high quality ready to run, I would jump at the chance.

I would think that it would require a significant investment from a company into the scale for it to carve out a niche. I would think at least 4-6 locos and 10-20 types of rolling stock to kind of jump start it. Maybe that's unrealistic but I personally would be hesitant to jump scales unless I was confident I could get (or eventually) get the those products that I would need.

I'm hoping that additive manufacturing keeps improving and hopefully some breakthroughs that might enable companies or individuals to introduce products and lower costs. Carbon3d has a new process that offers real promise. The T-rex head looks like a high quality injection molded part.

My 2 cents.

It sounds like an awesome product. And fortunately the 3yr cost of ownership for a the Carbon3d product is only USD $290,730.00! /sarcasm

source: http://www.fabbaloo.com/blog/2016/4/6/t ... -ownership

Anyway, my feeling is that there are enough RTR already available to start a layout. You have to work within some severe constraints but if you're flexible it's doable. me and my kid are having a lot of fun with our layout.
WillYart

Postby Richard-B » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Re: Carbon 3D
WillYart wrote:It sounds like an awesome product. And fortunately the 3yr cost of ownership for a the Carbon3d product is only USD $290,730.00! /sarcasm
source: http://www.fabbaloo.com/blog/2016/4/6/t ... -ownership
Which makes perfect sense if you are a 3D Service Bureau , making high-value commercial prototypes...
Carbon 3D's target market.

In my opinion... 3D prints are NOT the model... they are a step in the production path of models.
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bernd » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Richard-B wrote:In my opinion... 3D prints are NOT the model... they are a step in the production path of models.

I second that.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:57 pm

Won't it be nice to have one of these in TT scale?

Picked this up at the RIT Tiger Tracks train show, plus a few other kits. Nothing in TT scale though. :cry:

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby tomvanhoy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:36 am

Bernd,
Who is the manufacturer of this Crocodile? I know it isn't Marklin, maybe Roco?
Tom
tomvanhoy

Postby Bernd » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:32 pm

tomvanhoy wrote:Bernd,
Who is the manufacturer of this Crocodile? I know it isn't Marklin, maybe Roco?
Tom

Yes, Roco. I see it's a model of the first ones built in 1921. Love to find an older version with the front jackshaft.

Bernd
Bernd

Previous

Return to General Discussion