TT Scale Laser Tie Bases

TT Scale Laser Tie Bases

Postby dwyaneward » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:09 pm

Today, I make my first two cutting with my new laser. Track and #5 turnout tie bases. I have been planning these for my new switching layout for my new SW1200 Switcher.

Here are a few photos

Laser Setup

Track and #5 Turnout tie bases from 1/16" Taskboard

Video of second cutting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4sLim9Amjo
Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
------------------------------------
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Re: TT Scale Laser Tie Bases

Postby CSD » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Dwyane, that is just super cool. Are you going to be making these available?...
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:10 am

I've never laid my own track and the recent posts regarding this are awesome. A newbie question - how do the rails get attached to the ties?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:06 am

"A newbie question - how do the rails get attached to the ties?"

In general there's 3 ways to build from scratch. Spike them down, Solder them to PC board ties, or glue them down. I find soldering to PC board ties the easiest and most secure but it requires a lot of PC bard ties to do long stretches of track so I try to just use PC board ties on turnouts and other more complex stuff and just spike to wooden ties for the common straight and curved tracks. Since tt scale ties are so thin it requires a spike friendly roadbed if spiking is to go smoothly, PC board ties can be used on harder roadbed since no spikes are required. Gluing rail to ties can be done with various glues so some experimentation would be needed to find what works best for each situation. I highly recommend using flex track in most cases and just building turnouts to maximize the speed of layout construction and the cost/time benefit.The payoff for hand built turnouts is much greater than the payoff for hand built common track in most scales but due to the lack of affordable flextrack TT might be an exception.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby j p » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:44 am

ctxmf74 wrote:"A newbie question - how do the rails get attached to the ties?"

In general there's 3 ways to build from scratch. Spike them down, Solder them to PC board ties, or glue them down. I find soldering to PC board ties the easiest and most secure but it requires a lot of PC bard ties to do long stretches of track so I try to just use PC board ties on turnouts and other more complex stuff and just spike to wooden ties for the common straight and curved tracks. Since tt scale ties are so thin it requires a spike friendly roadbed if spiking is to go smoothly, PC board ties can be used on harder roadbed since no spikes are required. Gluing rail to ties can be done with various glues so some experimentation would be needed to find what works best for each situation. I highly recommend using flex track in most cases and just building turnouts to maximize the speed of layout construction and the cost/time benefit.The payoff for hand built turnouts is much greater than the payoff for hand built common track in most scales but due to the lack of affordable flextrack TT might be an exception.....DaveB

There is a 4th way: cut holes in the wood by the laser and use injection moulded or 3D printed "metal parts" - spikes or bolts and "the thing which sits under the rail".
j p

Postby CSD » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:42 am

Looks like Dwyane has crosshatched the ties that would be replaced with PC board ones.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby dwyaneward » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:54 pm

CSD wrote:Dwyane, that is just super cool. Are you going to be making these available?...

Mark, Have not thought that far ahead yet. Maybe.
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Postby dwyaneward » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:58 pm

CSD wrote:Looks like Dwyane has crosshatched the ties that would be replaced with PC board ones.

Mark's correct the crosshatched ties are where I will use PC board ties. Planning on just build the turnout on top a printout of a Fasttrack template. I have frog and point jigs for code 40and 55 from my N scale Fasttrack stuff.

Next up is laser cut some track gauges from acrylic and then get some PC Ties.
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Postby dwyaneward » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:00 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I've never laid my own track and the recent posts regarding this are awesome. A newbie question - how do the rails get attached to the ties?

DaveB has covered most of the options....
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:22 pm

dwyaneward wrote:
CSD wrote:Looks like Dwyane has crosshatched the ties that would be replaced with PC board ones.

Mark's correct the crosshatched ties are where I will use PC board ties. Planning on just build the turnout on top a printout of a Fasttrack template. I have frog and point jigs for code 40and 55 from my N scale Fasttrack stuff.

Next up is laser cut some track gauges from acrylic and then get some PC Ties.

So....the crosshatched ties are thinner, not as high as the regular ties (to allow the PC ties to be glued to the thinner ties) or are the crosshatched ties removed and replaced with PC ties:?: :?:

Very much impressed with the product and use of the laser technology.
milwrd1

Next

Return to General Discussion