TT scale 'General Store'?

TT scale 'General Store'?

Postby ConnRiver » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:37 pm

I would like to see one Web site where most TT scale items for sale from a variety of sources can be viewed. Anyone else here like to see such a site?

Really, proposing nothing more than an online catalog, I guess. But, rather than a 'by guess and by golly' search for a transition era Chevy sedan, say, or to see what flex track and turnouts are available, or if someone makes an E6 EMD passenger diesel, to have one location where a TT scale modeler can take a look-see would be a terrific thing, I'd think.

At such a site, if a shopper found just the right laser-cut wood freight depot, for example, a click on the picture of the item would take the shopper directly to the home page of the manufacturer, possibly to place an order if wished or just to peruse that site further.

What would be in it for the creator of such a TT General Store site? Maybe a small return for every click through, or a small fee for every item purchased via the site. . . . Or, for those vendors who would rather create products and not mess with orders and shipping, perhaps the Store owner would stock and ship orders for a fee, too.

Just tossing the idea out for comment, if any. (BTW, I'm not bucking to run such venture. I'm a wannabe manufacturer so will invest my time elsewhere.)

-Brian

Brian Chapman / Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Re: TT scale 'General Store'?

Postby MacG » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:43 pm

I think for months about a similar idea. But more like a online shop for various small series builders of NA stuff. Because of lack of time I have no real progress with it. It will also cost some bucks, because there is no shop system "out of a box" for such a use.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby LVG1 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Let's call it "TT-Guide"...

I've been thinking for quite a while about something like this—but without shopping possibility, rather with links to shops.

There's only one big problem. Whoever operates it, will need the ultimate overview over anything that happens in TT. And this overview is really hard to get nor keep. So it's not easy to keep this "guide" up-to-date.
Another smaller problem will be the pictures. If you derive the pictures from somewhere else, there will sooner or later be problems concerning copy rights. So it's better to make your own photos. But who has ALL TT-items?

Technically, it' not a problem. It's a simple data base. A bit of html, a bit of php, a bit of MySQL and possibly some javascript. That's all you need to create it.
I've learned html at university—and the basics of javascript and SQL. Additionally, I have literatur about php and MySQL. I've not yet utilized this knowledge. So I lack in experience. For programming I would need quite a bit of time.
I'm not the one with the overview. And I'm not patient enough for maintaining the content of something like that.
But if somebody else sponsors the webspace and somebody else cares about the content and if there's nobody with more experience and if this project is not in a hurry, I would contribute my share to it.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Shipsure » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:46 am

It would be nice for those of us who are developing kits to have a reference to make sure we aren't duplicating the efforts here. I have six building kits that are close to being finished so I can do a general release with advertising on this site, but they have been a "leap of faith" given I don't really know what is out there beyond Google searches.

Joe
Shipsure

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:46 pm

I as well have been thinking about this for a long time. Im a software engineer so doing it is not a problem. The general upkeep is something that turns me off. Im still mulling the idea....

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Bernd wrote:I see many manufacturers out there that produce the same engine or rolling stock and many other products. I think competition brings out the best of the manufacturer of a product. It also lets the buyer vote with their wallet as to what they want. Capitalism at it's best.

Bernd

That is true only if the market is strong enough.
Some examples from much larger EU TT market show that if 3 manufacturers launch the same model at the same time all of them lose money.
If the same happened in much smaller NA TT market all 3 would be out. EU manufacturers can cover the losses by profit from other products. NA-TT manufacturers which are mostly nonprofit do not have that possibility.
Therefore, I would not recommend anyone to make another SW1200 or AAR 1937 40' boxcar.
There are many other good prototypes which are not available in TT yet. The potential is larger there.
j p

Postby Marquette » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:27 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with J P - NA TT is far too small a market to compete like that. If something already exists, don't make it unless it is *far* superior.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Christtking » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:21 pm

ConnRiver (and all members) I am not sure that I've understood your question/comment. There is such web site available called Andreas homepage (http://www.abvv.de). Give it a try! I apologise in advance if this is not what you looking for.
Christtking

Postby Marquette » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:29 am

Christtking wrote:ConnRiver (and all members) I am not sure that I've understood your question/comment. There is such web site available called Andreas homepage (http://www.abvv.de). Give it a try! I apologise in advance if this is not what you looking for.

The idea is a site which shows all North American prototype models - I did a quick look at your link, under diesel locomotives nothing North American is listed, not even the MTB SW1200s.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Christtking » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:23 pm

Let's brake into the European market! Maybe we should contact the owner of that site.
Christtking

Next

Return to General Discussion