TT scale 'General Store'?

Re: TT scale 'General Store'?

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:49 pm

Guys, I am more than willing to set up and care for a space for something like this (it would be "free" to me since it can just be a sub domain of this site). However, it is ultimately up to the individual manufacturer/producer to keep me/it up to date on everything. This is where I'm a bit concerned. Since this would be a free service I won't waste my time hunting down individuals whose images/links/products no longer exist. I hate the idea of outdated stuff that is no longer relevant.

So, my proposition is the following:

I can set up a space. I can change content when you ask for it. The moment I find outdated links or images from someone, I'm done offering that individual my personal time.

If you're interested, let me know. If there are enough people interested, after the Cleveland show, I can dedicate time to it.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:28 am

I think that this project has the potential to go south very fast. The issue is the amount of work it will take to keep this current. There is a risk that it will become as irrelevant as ttscale.com in short order. Someone should turn that site off, by the way. There have been other "what's up" topics, which, like others, fizzle out once the novelty has passed. Seems to me that those who want to share, already are.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:07 am

CSD wrote:There is a risk that it will become as irrelevant as ttscale.com in short order. Someone should turn that site off, by the way.

Exactly my concern.

CSD wrote:Seems to me that those who want to share, already are.

Yeah but you have to dig around and know what you're looking for. Not the best way to introduce a newbie to the scale. It's not in a single easy place (the reason for this discussion).
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Dibbedabb » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:28 am

Hey guys,

In fact there is such a database, but unfortunately for the European models only: www.tt-pics.de
A few downsides:
- It's not open, the user has to sign up
- German or mainly German only
- (already said) It's hard to keep up to date. I don't see the problem of new things not getting spread around the world. It's more a problem with previous models. You can't see any hint, if a model is still available or sold out already.
Dibbedabb

Postby ConnRiver » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:44 am

I think the General Store idea is likely premature. Maybe it would work after we reach a little more product "mass"? Wheels, track, another loco or two? . . . Or, maybe now is the time if all the Shapeways products and companies would jump in, too.

Alex, you're right on target, imho, with a requirement that each company owner keep his listings up to date or be booted. Shoppers should be encouraged to report problems (maybe with a reporting system shopper-to-owner to alert owners that there is a problem at the site) to give owners a shot to fix the issue.

Me, I'd like to see departments, though, maybe something like: Locomotives (sub-departments diesel, steam, electric), Rolling Stock (sub-departments freight, passenger), Structures (railroad, lineside details [signals, etc.], lineside commercial/industrial, other).

But, the responsibility should be on the owners to make this work.

-Brian

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Previous

Return to General Discussion