TT Scale Display Shelving

TT Scale Display Shelving

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:50 pm

CaTT and I have been toying with the idea of installing shelving for our TT scale fleet, at least the North American Prototype TT. We know that the prefab shelving will not work for TT, as nobody makes shelving for TT scale.

We have made shelving for O gauge and HO scale in years past, but I do not think that the shelving style that we used for those shelves are adequate for TT. We want to build covers for the shelves to keep dust and the risk of trains tumbling off of the shelves to a minimum, but seem to have hit a snag as far as the shelves themselves. With my first HO scale shelf display that I built, I opted to cut grooves into the wood to act as rails for the trains. With the large O gauge shelving (8 shelves tall and 22 feet long), and the second HO scale shelves, we used long lengths of straight track to hold the trains. A third option is to use a raised section of material that is short enough to fit under the train frames and fits between the flanges.

As with the prior topic where I asked for advice on my layout, suggestions and comments are welcome.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: TT Scale Display Shelving

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Grooves.

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Richard-B » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:59 pm

My Managing Director of Residential Quarters has just forwarded my similar Display Shelving request to the Facilities and Space Planning Coordinator for approval: She (both of her...) said "Ohhh... Ok".

My train room (4th bedroom) is to the left near the end of the 2nd floor hall: The blank wall at the end of the hall next to the 4th BR door is 35-1/2in wide, 7ft-10in high, and has 3-3/8in clear space to the edge of the door casing.

I'm considering using 3in wide by 3/8in wood floor boards for display shelves... and Tillig TT Bedding Track straight sections. I currently use the Tillig track in an 18in oak & plexi display case... and like the clean look.

Shelf spacing in the next issue: My (graciously referred to as "chubby") fingers have to be able to reach cleanly over the display items for safe removal; This probably means minimum 4in center-to-center spacing for 3/8in shelves. Comfortable reach puts the top at 76in (I'm ~6ft-1), and the bottom at 36in... giving me 10 shelves. At an average of 7 cars per shelf... that's a reasonable 70 cars.

Then the door question: Swinging or sliding? Sliding or swinging? Full-width or 2-piece? ...or maybe lift up...
Glass or Plexi... Should the glass be tempered?

Opinions????
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Arseny » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:23 am

My bookshelf:

bookshelf1.jpg
bookshelf2.jpg
bookshelf3.jpg

It is just an usual bookshelf, and I've put some old rails inside.

I did not perform any anti-dust actions, maybe I should attach some foam-rubber stripes to the sides of the glasses and in the middle.
Arseny

Postby Richard-B » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:50 am

Arseny wrote:My bookshelf:

I have a similar arrangement... glass-fronted lawyer's cabinets, but mine are overflowing with BOOKS!
(...and in boxes... and in stacks on the floor!!! ) Which is why I need the display/storage case.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Arseny » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:42 am

As concerns books, I have a bookcase for books. :) And I need one more. :)
Arseny

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Our shelving is just for rolling stock display, we have no need for dioramas on shelves for now, at least.

We actually had never thought of sliding doors for the shelving to protect the TT trains on display, but that sounds better than hinged doors.

Here are photos of my most recent shelving projects, both completed before I got into TT scale:
Yes, the train below the black Penn Central GG1 is a Roco SNCF train set with a pair of Fleischmann German cars in the middle:

I do not plan on running the shelving quite so tall this time around, perhaps only to 6 foot high, with things such as our locomotive number boards and pictures above them (and possibly a G or Standard Gauge track setup that high).
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby railtwister » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:50 am

I have a professionally made display case about 4 feet wide that has glass sliding doors, but I have found that the glass is so heavy that it causes the bottom of the case to sag. I think that Plexiglass would be better at least as far as it's weight is concerned, although it is much more easily scratched than glass. Hinged doors would be awkward, requiring more clearance room in order to swing open, and the weight of glass would be a problem as well, especially while the doors are open, but they might be easier to achieve a decent seal against the intrusion of dust.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby The Fish » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:05 pm

The Fish

Postby MacG » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:24 pm

I have also a professionally made display case. 170cm long and with four floors. It is cheap produced. Untreated wood with nails at the side walls. At the floors are milled grooves as rails. You can rise the quality with putty and paint.

http://www.vitrinenschmidt.de/shop/Vitr ... :4_49.html
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Next

Return to General Discussion