TT Scale Display Shelving

Re: TT Scale Display Shelving

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:40 pm

We have mulled over the options of glass or plastic or plexiglass, and we decided that glass was not a good option due to the weight and the tendency to shatter (with a 7 year old in the house, shattering is too big of a risk). I would take scratching over shattering any time.

All things considered, we will almost certainly build our own shelves, as the costs of a custom made shelf set would be more than we could do on our own.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby MacG » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:57 pm

A combination of a display cases and a storage yard is this "revolver" from Train-Safe.

Another manufacturer of acrylic display cases is WAWIKO.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:53 pm

That "revolver" looks neat, but is likely far out of the range of what I want to pay for shelving.

I dislike the tube-type of display shelves, primarily for the fact that one would need to either shove dead powered locos, or apply track power to the shelf, with the entire issue of if multiple locos are on display, that they will likely not travel into the tube at the same speed, which can cause derailments within the tube.
AstroGoat760

Postby Juup » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Just as MacG, my vote goes to:
http://www.vitrinenschmidt.de/
Sturdy design, but cost of shipping may be prohibitive. Perhaps use TT dimensions from their website to recreate yourself, or get local joiner to do it for you? It is a non-T&G design so would be easy to recreate. Mine is constructed using 12mm ply (what is that in imperial ... 1/2 or 5/8"?). I assume it is Birch plywood because it is white, is nearly as hard as tropical ply, and is better quality (visually) than ordinary softwood ply. I have a 180cm wide unit with seven shelves. Actually, it is two 90cm units which combine by way of little tunnel openings cut at the abutting ends of the two display cabinets; very nice touch. I think the widest ones they do are about 150cm - except of course MacG says he has a 170 wide one. There is some indication there of how wide they are willing to go ... not because of sag because shelves get additional support from the white-faced hardboard backing. However, the unit as a whole might be less stable once it gets too big/wide. There are groves cut directly in the wood to emulate 12mm track. I would have preferred actual track - just too lazy to add that - would be visually better. Two sections of thin plexiglass (sp?) on each 90cm case - sliding along in groves.
Juup
Juup

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:38 pm

"Two sections of thin plexiglass (sp?) on each 90cm case - sliding along in groves"
That looks like it would be pretty simple to build. If one could find the plexiglass locally in pre-cut sheets might be able to size the cabinets to match and not even need to cut the plastic. Off the shelf pine 1 X 2 ( or wider if more than one track was desired) should work for the shelves and the perimeter? .DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby CSD » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:55 pm

I was able to find a couple local plastics companies that sell square tubing in 6' lengths at about $6 a foot. Find a way to fix some track to the inside and you'd have something just as nice as Train-Safe or WAWIKO.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:15 am

Here is an idea:

Adapting a built-up display case with legs and attaching said display case to a display module at a train show.

Has anyone tried this before, or has any advice?
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to General Discussion