TT scale buildings

TT scale buildings

Postby WillYart » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi folks,

I talked to John Harman today and apparently he doesn't make building kits anymore. I saw a link to some .gif image file attachment on ttnut related to this, but it was inaccessible. Does anyone have these kits? Or plans?

It's been a long time and I only did it a little, but I'm willing to get back into scratch building. (It's rewarding, the outcome is unique!) But it would be good to have plans to go from. For starters I need:

- A passenger station.
- A 2-locomotive shed
- Freight platform(s)
- Maybe a switch tower
- Maybe a track-workers' barracks-style residence
Last edited by WillYart on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillYart

Re: TT scale buildings

Postby WillYart » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Hmm, I may have found who is making them now. BTS, http://www.btsrr.com/
WillYart

Postby areibel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:12 pm

The BTS kits are excellent, they are laser cut wood with cast details, and they build up really nice.
John's kits are "old school", basically they were copies of the old Ideal HO scale cardboard building kits he reduced to TT. They were paper that you have to laminate to cardboard and add details to, Another TT'er (Tom Collard) did a nice job building a couple of them up with some added details. I'll have to see I got some of that stuff from John but I'm not sure what all I have.
Al
areibel

Postby Arseny » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:19 am

Al, maybe you've forgot - you had presented a lot of them to me sometimes ago! 8-)
But I still did not assemble any, although I scanned some.

Do you have a photo of Tom Collard's buildings? It would be very interesting to see ready structures...

WillYart, John Harmon's kits were paper/cardstock.
In actual fact they were the resized copies of H0-scale kits by Ideal Models produced in 1950s. (To say truth, I never heard about this company). Look here, I posted some photos of the assembled HO-scale paper model and also John Harmon's list of his buildings:
j-e-harmon-fire-house-prototype-t1362.html
His page on ttscale.com : http://ttscale.com/members/jeh/JEHarmonTT.html
Some more discussion: j-e-harmon-buildings-t1016.html

I've got some John Harmon's kits from areibel, and scanned some (but I did not scan railroad buildings kits yet).
If you need, I can send you some scans.

WillYart, to get American buildings you can use:
1) BTS RR kits - http://www.btsrr.com/btstt.htm

2) Some industrial buildings from Auhagen
We discussed it here:
industrial-structures-t1445.html

3) Also some other European structures can work as American.
For example, I used Busch freight station:
busch-freight-station-t1391.html

4) Some Vollmer buildings can work too:
commercial-vehicles-for-tt-and-almost-tt-t1368.html#p13785

5) Some Czech railroad buildings that are looking-like American:
laser-cut-kits-in-tt-t1631.html#p17706

6) We discussed the American buildings also here:
american-style-buildings-t1256.html
Ideenladen.de offers nice wooden kits of western-style American buildings from XIX century.

7) Here you can find some patterns/drawings for old American buildings (residential ones):
paper-buildings-t1436.html
If you have any problems with downloading from narod.ru - I've downloaded them and can send them to you if you need.

8) Also maybe you can use some H0- or N-scale structures after some kitbashing:
over-sized-or-under-sized-t1130.html
(Also I've read in TT Empire an article about Blair Line's HO-scale "Fred&Red" diner building kit kitbashed for TT).

9) For backdrops:
north-american-signs-and-backdrop-buildings-t1394.html
Arseny

Postby WillYart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:24 am

Thanks very much, I feel well supported and I see there is hope in coming up with plenty of suitable buildings. I've looked the links and will use these posts as a resource.

By the way someone, on this board I think (I haven't forgotten) at some point cited a beautiful passenger station kit that comes with thousands of strips of wood, but it was a bit out of my price range (~USD$200.00).

These kits are a bit more achievable. Lamination would make the buildings shiny and reflective, right? This is an issue with plastic models as well. Perhaps the shininess could be resolved with a matte finish? I vaguely remember having a bottle of that 18 years ago when I was tinkering around with trains.

I was looking at the Auhagen "old plant" depected under one of Arseny's links; it is actually a Gas Works, an industry that has as its input, coal, and as its output, gas for street lighting and occasionally fueling stoves up until 1950 or so. Apparently we did have these in North America (which I am trying to model), though I'm focused on around 1965-1985.

Anyway, the Auhagen gas works goes well with the gas-o-meter which is buoyant in water, though less so when more gas (higher pressure) is in the tank.

According to the always infallible wikipedia, the sole remaining old style coal gassification plant in my country is Seattle Gas Works, but I think there are some modernized facilities.

On a side note, today I computed the size in TT scale of a standard nominal 2"x4" board/stud (actual dimensions 1.5"x3.5") just to see if it's possible to realistically model something that small. A 0.01" x 0.03" strip of Styrene is close enough!
WillYart

Postby Arseny » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:01 am

Yes, you are right, this Auhagen building is "Gas Werks", gas plant.
But I am sure you also can use it as some other plant factory, "generic" one.
Arseny

Postby jpachl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 am

Arseny wrote:But I am sure you also can use it as some other plant factory, "generic" one.

As I did here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpachl/3243484819/in/set-72157613192144979/

The engine house of the Auhagen machine factory is also a nice industrial structure that can be modified in many ways. Here, on the right hand side, it is to be seen as part of my industrial complex:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpachl/3244311422/in/set-72157613192144979/

Joern
jpachl

Postby areibel » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:52 am

One trick a friend of mine showed me was to take the paper building sides and laminate them to sheet styrene instead of cardboard. You lay the paper on the styrene then soak it with styrene cement (like Tenax) and it will "melt" into the plastic. You can then cut out the doors and windows and assmeble just like a plastic kit.
areibel

Postby ConnRiver » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:31 pm

areibel wrote:One trick a friend of mine showed me was to take the paper building sides and laminate them to sheet styrene instead of cardboard. You lay the paper on the styrene then soak it with styrene cement (like Tenax) and it will "melt" into the plastic. You can then cut out the doors and windows and assmeble just like a plastic kit.

Al,

Isn't this -- or something like it -- being done will photos of building walls printed to scale size? Perhaps certain 3D items, such as doors and door frames, might be separate items. Seems like this approach might be highly effective.

Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Arseny » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:57 pm

TT-scale doors and windows are available from Auhagen, maybe use them?
Arseny

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models