TT Scale at Work

Talk about anything and everything!

Re: TT Scale at Work

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Well,

At the risk of beating a dead zombie horse, I have been given permission at the Market that I work at part-time now to setup a model train layout in the store window for the holidays, as well as a train around the tree that the Market sets up every year.

Considering that setup is about 60 days away, I need to get started on ideas for the display.

I told my boss about how things went 9 years ago with the office decorating contest, and he is willing to let me "go wild with the trains" this year.

I know that I want to show some TT scale trains, just a matter of what to display.

Any comments/suggestions?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:16 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:I know that I want to show some TT scale trains, just a matter of what to display.

Use as much American rolling stock and buildings as you have. I believe if it is American based you'll have a larger audience or a more interested public. It's something people can relate to since they see trains at railroad crossings and other places. They can't relate to European equipment because they haven't see it up close and in person. My thought on getting the public interested in TT.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby RodTT » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:50 pm

I'd also be inclined to say as much modern ready to run as possible.
RodTT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:47 pm

Bernd wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:I know that I want to show some TT scale trains, just a matter of what to display.

Use as much American rolling stock and buildings as you have. I believe if it is American based you'll have a larger audience or a more interested public. It's something people can relate to since they see trains at railroad crossings and other places. They can't relate to European equipment because they haven't see it up close and in person. My thought on getting the public interested in TT.

Bernd

Can do!

I have some more buildings in the pre-production phase right now, and with the area where I am living right now being former Soo Line territory, I plan on having my SOO 1216 running at the least.
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:55 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:...... and with the area where I am living right now being former Soo Line territory, I plan on having my SOO 1216 running at the least.

There you go. People in that area will be able to relate to that and not some European train they've never experienced before. Remember, pictures. We need pictures of the setup when you get it done.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:58 pm

Bernd wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:...... and with the area where I am living right now being former Soo Line territory, I plan on having my SOO 1216 running at the least.

There you go. People in that area will be able to relate to that and not some European train they've never experienced before. Remember, pictures. We need pictures of the setup when you get it done.

Bernd

The big thing that I am trying to figure out right now is what I am going to display. Do I use my 3' x 4' two loop layout that is built for constant running, or do I build a new layout?

Also, do I "winterize the layout" by adding snow, or is my spring-grass fitted layout good enough?

The space for the window layout is a little bigger than 4' x 6'.

I have the option of more layouts in the Market as well, such as a train under the tree, which will likely be a Lionel or American Flyer train.
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:The big thing that I am trying to figure out right now is what I am going to display. Do I use my 3' x 4' two loop layout that is built for constant running, or do I build a new layout?

I'd say for the sake of time I'd go with the 3' X 4' two loop layout. Make it a spring layout because I'm sure people are thinking about spring and warm weather about that time. Don't try to make it to fancy. Simple sometimes is better.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:14 pm

I showed some of the videos of the 3'x4' layout in action, and the management at the Market wants it for the window layout. I will likely put together a Lionel or American Flyer layout for the main part of the store with literally the bells and whistles.
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:19 am

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Well, this may be an exercise in futility, as it is unlikely that I will have the job long enough to put the layout up, as the Market's owner is refusing (or is unable) to keep up with the bills on-time, so the Market may end up closing sooner than later for good.
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to Off Topic