TT Scale Archbar Trucks?

TT Scale Archbar Trucks?

Postby Bernd » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:38 am

I've begun a long term project. Part of this project is to build a "freelance" module featuring logging. I've already have a layout in mind. Also on the agenda is a class A Climax. In my research for log trucks I came across a fellow modeler that is interested in HOn30. He designed a SR&RL swing motion truck with brake detail. I'm going to attempt to see if they can be converted to TT scale.

Here's a picture of the truck.

Here's the link to Rich Burngard's Shapeway products.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/5L8ABN864/10x-hon30-swing-motion-trucks-brakes-a-hon30t003?li=user-profile&optionId=57743042

Bernd
Bernd

Re: TT Scale Archbar Trucks?

Postby Arseny » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:38 am

Do you think it would be better than using Peresvet trucks?
Arseny

Postby j p » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:52 pm

Arseny wrote:Do you think it would be better than using Peresvet trucks?

Peresvet archbar trucks are TT standard gauge (12 mm).
Bernd's are narrow gauge trucks, e.g. they would be TTn30 (9 mm) when scaled to TT.

I would be interested in those trucks. I have N scale trucks on most of my narrow gauge models.
j p

Postby Bernd » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:38 pm

j p wrote:
Arseny wrote:Do you think it would be better than using Peresvet trucks?

Peresvet archbar trucks are TT standard gauge (12 mm).
Bernd's are narrow gauge trucks, e.g. they would be TTn30 (9 mm) when scaled to TT.

I would be interested in those trucks. I have N scale trucks on most of my narrow gauge models.

Better than Peresvet trucks? Mmmm! Maybe, but I like to support my local hobby modelers.

The trucks are not going to be narrow gauge. I'm going to convert them to standard gauge by widening them. Why? It's something I like to do in modeling, re-purpose, modify or convert to something I like or think will work. This is were I get my enjoyment from the hobby. I also like to share these ideas with others in hope that others may try it.

I might even consider asking Rich if he could redesign them for standard gauge TT if the idea works.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:55 pm

I was anxious to get home from the camp today to try out modifying the HOn30 truck.

First I cut it in half.

Then I glued a piece of .040" X .080" styrene in to widen the truck frame. Drilled out the end axle holes a little. Wheels are very free rolling.

I consider the experiment a success. Might try a Precision Scale Company HOn3 truck. They are plastic.

Once I get a second truck made it's on to designing a log buggy.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:28 pm

The side frames look incredibly delicate. Will they stand up to the wheels being taken out once or twice?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:12 pm

I did a second truck. So the next thing I want to do is make a master of a skeleton log car so I can make resin castings for multiple cars. Here's a picture of both trucks and the original HOn30 truck. I had to remove the brakes because they interfered with the wheels.

ConducTTor wrote:The side frames look incredibly delicate. Will they stand up to the wheels being taken out once or twice?

Alex,

The material has some give to it. You don't need to bend it far to insert/remove the wheels. I did break one because it bent it to far. The material seems quite brittle when cutting with a knife or using a file. A plastic truck frame would be better. I'm also going to look into using a Precision Scale Company HOn3 truck to see if the same can be done with it.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:34 pm

I received my two sets of Precision Scale Company HOn3 archbar trucks.

I made a bolster out of 1/32" thick brass. It was cut out using a fret saw. The end tabs where bent and holes drilled in the ends. Look pretty good. I'm using Fox Valley TT scale wheels.

The side frames come with a nib cast into the side to mount the plastic bolster that comes with it. I decided not to use that. Instead I made the brass bolster. This will allow the truck to twist going over rough track. The bolster was a quick and dirty part just to see if it would work. The red arrow points to the nib sticking out. This can either be heated or a styrene washer made to glue to the nib thus allowing the truck to swivel.

Next up is setting up the CNC mill and cranking out a few of these to more precise tolerances. Then a fixture needs to be made so when bending the ends they will all be the same.

I'm going to go with the Precision Scale Company trucks. Much easier conversion than the Shapeways HOn30 trucks.

Stay tuned much more to come. :grin:

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:57 pm

So I guess the side frames accept the smaller tt scale wheel points no prob....or did you modify those in any way?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:00 pm

ConducTTor wrote:So I guess the side frames accept the smaller tt scale wheel points no prob....or did you modify those in any way?

At this point in the experiment I did not do anything to the points on either the axles or the holes in the side frame. Once I get a better bolster made I'll be able to tell if the holes need modification.

Bernd
Bernd

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models