TT Scale 2014 NEW Models

Re: TT Scale 2014 NEW Models

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:44 am

I agree with Ben wholeheartedly but we are where we are just now. But that said I do think on the whole there is major improvement in TT supply and much of this is due to the German influence. Prior to this group the old TTSMR and TT-IMS of which most of us are or were members of, were happy with models that merely represented American profile such as did the old HP stuff.
However with the arrival of tt-nut a newer younger breed of guys evolved who are much more into the finer details of things. Now this affected me big time in as much as I found myself getting dragged into the finer scale approach to things. The German groups were pretty fundemental to me in this fact and Carstens 44 tonner was the thing that made me learn enough Autocad to draw for etching purposes for myself.
Now that has evolved into me planning a small layout with all handlaid track with code 55 rail wooden ties and tiny tie plates which are being etched now. So for myself I see the flaws in some models as part of continual improvement which will eventually become fully correct scale models in their own right. Now if I can do this then so can anybody with enough skill to type on a computer keyboard.
Personally I think us modellers are on the verge of a new brilliant age where we will be able to draw and make our own models quite simply and the only problem for me is I wish I was twenty years younger to hopefully see it happen.
I have no doubt that in the next twenty years there will be excat scale TT models running on layouts albeit in very limited quantities --- well I hope so

Regards to all
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:57 am

Taxari wrote:Hello friends,
it's just a car. I understand that you are frustrated, because there are no correct cars and locos for low price.I think it will never be. In my opinion it will ever the most unusual scale for US modelers. But for some of us it is that the charm. Just my opinion, no more.
If anyone of you like to develop a correct car, we (me, MacG and Lok-n-Roll) are open for any ideas. Please feel free sending plans and production ideas. We can discuss everything.
Have fun, Jörg

I missed this post before my last rant, this is what I think is great about our group, there is a willingness to try to improve things for us all plus the ability from people with the skills to be able to do it.

Yes chaps as Jörg says it is supposed to be fun as well
richardedmonds

Postby MacG » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:47 pm

The flat car is, what it is and ready for sale. I will do a research for the diagonals on the end bulkheads.

The cylindrical hopper is currently a the building phase. It was a fast model for the toy fair. The paint schemes was taken from Microscale N, with no prototypical accordance. I open for it a topic for research. It's a short version.

For research we haven't a big library. It is a thing of costs to import these books. We use the internet and we discuss to each other.

For me, my inquiries about models research remained here mostly unanswered.

I'm a rivet counter, but if I decide me for a model of my stock car, then is there only one or two prototypical railroad company that matches. That means less sales, thus an expensive model. The numbers of sales must be estimated beforehand, what isn't easy in TT scale. Therefore I must make a compromise. Also a long research and for example multiple changes of a etch film rises also the costs.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby scaro » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:38 pm

Be careful with the roof on that stock car. If it is the one on Shapeways that has a diagonal panel roof, you may find the roof is a mirror image of what it should be. This was something Athearn did in HO years ago and the error has often been copied. As a 3-D drawing, at least it would probably be easy to correct.
Last edited by scaro on Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

Postby MacG » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:47 pm

scaro wrote:Be careful with the roof on that stock car. If it is the one on Shapeways, you may find the roof is a mirror image of what it should be. This was something Athearn did in HO years ago and the error has often been copied.

I know, someone said it already this year. I haven't updated the file at shapeways. :wall:
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby scaro » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:41 am

That was me. If it can be fixed, the roof alone would be a very handy product, one I would buy.
scaro

Postby j p » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:14 pm

It seems to me that we missed the new versions of Fowler?
The real prototype is not Fowler, but Mather (thanks Richard). Anyway, these are much closer to the prototype than GoldCoasts's AT&SF cars.

Fowler.jpg

Rob Dikken's picture
j p

Postby scaro » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:49 pm

sweet!! nice idea

not too far off and the cost is modest. that's an OK combination.

what could be done to make them slightly closer is to add an extra truss on the side panels at the ends, to overlap the lower diagonal strap. strictly speaking the channel is different, U vs Z.

here's a real muncie & western car for comparison:

http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/uplo ... A28854.jpg

AT&SF did have howe truss cars inherited from a subsidiary but with hutchins or murphy radial roofs, indented dreadnaught ends (probably the major single discrepancy) and about 6" higher, which does create something of a difference in the look of the car, a fair few differences.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... df&ei=57g-
scaro

Postby rdikken » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:51 am

Hi TT-fans,

Yesterday I spoke with Mike about his new MWR cars. First of all I admire his guts to make this injection moulded model. It is not an easy decission to make this model based on the GC Fowler moulds. There is always a lot of time and money involved and you can never do it 100% realistic. And yes, he added a new TT-model to our (still) limited choice. :clap:

But it is still a prototype with decals and Mike is looking for a company who can do the tampon printing. This means the model will be available on the market in 2015. I cannot tell you exactly when.

Cheers,
Rob Dikken
rdikken

Postby j p » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:17 am

Taxari wrote:No, A&D offers the 53'6 and Lok-n-Roll the 52'6.
Some pics for comparision:
20140619_114347.jpg

20140619_114440.jpg

20140619_114410.jpg

20140619_114421.jpg

Any information about suitable prototypes? At least some indication where to start please...
It does not have to match 100%.
I have already seen the riveted Lok-n-Roll flatcar with wrong lettering :thumbdown:
j p

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models