TT Scale 2014 NEW Models

Re: TT Scale 2014 NEW Models

Postby milwrd1 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Bill D - you have certainly done your part, I believe you now have 5 or 6 SW1200's....I can't remember them all, they all have appeared in photos on this forum. It was such a common engine and the prototype operated over a long time period. I believe it can be easily modified to make a SW1, SW9 and the SW1500. As previously stated, every one should have at least 1.

I also agree with jp. Models which were previously made and are relatively easily available (the Kemtron hopper is a good example) should not be made again. Could use a general purpose flatcar and gondola (various lengths, I haven't forgotten Rob M's excellent G31 gondola) and a 3 bay hopper. Common cars which would transcend many years.
milwrd1

Postby scaro » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:30 pm

Bill, GP7/9 with low nose gets complicated because no two RRs did it the same. The EMD low nose kit, about the only 'standard' one, was not common at all.

The two later GPs you mention were a foot longer. But, add a few of those dimples for screws and the same chassis can be used for any EMD road unit, from an FT to the GP60. As far as a model goes, the guts are the same, except for the length of the wheelbase, which can be a simple as two pieces of brass channel. Does a cab unit need a different chassis to a hood unit? Make the wheelbase a compromise 9'2" and it can be used for all Alco, GE and most FM four axle units too. I think we are agreed no one is likely to notice 2" less or more.

The thing with oddities ... Fairbanks Morse, Baldwins etc is that it is sometimes easier to find a chassis for them than the 'basics' like F7ss.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:06 pm

milwrd1 wrote:Bill D - you have certainly done your part, I believe you now have 5 or 6 SW1200's....I can't remember them all, they all have appeared in photos on this forum. It was such a common engine and the prototype operated over a long time period. I believe it can be easily modified to make a SW1, SW9 and the SW1500. As previously stated, every one should have at least 1.

SW1 isn't an option because of the way the underframe of the model is designed... SW1 has a shorter hood on the same wheelbase, and the guts of the model's chassis won't allow for a shortening of the hood. I know because that's the first thing I looked at!

SW7, SW8, SW9, SW600, SW900, SW1000, SW1001, SW1200, SW1500 is possible, though!

And this model is useful for modelling outside of North America, too - SW8 in South Korea... SW900 in Liberia, Venezuela, Peru... SW1000 in Jamaica and Mexico... SW1001 in South Korea, Morocco, Mexico, Guinea, Saudi Arabia, UK... SW1200 in Brazil, Chile, Panama... SW1500 in Brazil... and the Mexico-only SW1504 might be possible too.

And... NW2 is also doable with it... I've got one scheduled.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:39 am

Marquette wrote:
milwrd1 wrote:Bill D - you have certainly done your part, I believe you now have 5 or 6 SW1200's....I can't remember them all, they all have appeared in photos on this forum. It was such a common engine and the prototype operated over a long time period. I believe it can be easily modified to make a SW1, SW9 and the SW1500. As previously stated, every one should have at least 1.

SW1 isn't an option because of the way the underframe of the model is designed... SW1 has a shorter hood on the same wheelbase, and the guts of the model's chassis won't allow for a shortening of the hood. I know because that's the first thing I looked at!

SW7, SW8, SW9, SW600, SW900, SW1000, SW1001, SW1200, SW1500 is possible, though!

Oh, well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. As Marquette's entry states, the SW1200 can be used as a basis for several models.
milwrd1

Postby Rich B » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:38 am

First glimpse (for me) of the Hornby/Arnold 251/171.

Is it wishful thinking that the windscreens are better proportioned than the H0 Rivarossi model?
Rich B

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:36 pm

They appear to be better. The area between the two windows is definitely narrower.

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Dibbedabb » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:51 pm

Hornby promised to change a few mistakes from the H0 version.
Dibbedabb

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:21 pm

When this order arrives i will have five, four CN and a Custom painted CP Rail.
If all goes well with money this week I will order two more, another undec to become another CP Rail and one I haven't decided on yet. Although I would like a SOO Line and a Southern Pacific I will stop at seven while I deal with other purchases.

milwrd1 wrote:I also agree with jp. Models which were previously made and are relatively easily available (the Kemtron hopper is a good example) should not be made again. Could use a general purpose flatcar and gondola (various lengths, I haven't forgotten Rob M's excellent G31 gondola) and a 3 bay hopper. Common cars which would transcend many years.

You must not confuse "occasionally available on E-Bay for various prices and needs work to make run" with Ready-To-Run off the shelf. I would like a readily available selection of R-T-R cars so a new TT-Scale modeller can easily get started. After they are established they can start searching out older products that are still available.

One thing I forgot to mention was track. If we are going to dream in technicolor lets try for Code 60 Kato Unitrack in TT-Scale.
Turnouts - #4, #6 and a #3 wye. A selection of curves starting at 15" radius and going up to 24", plus the various straight sections needed to tie it all together. Kato quality track in TT-Scale would be fantastic.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby j p » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:48 pm

Bill, this is getting somehow misunderstood.
The idea was to prioritize those models which were not made before.
Of course, the 2 bay offset side hoppers can be made too at some point later when we get (hopefully) larger NA TT community. But 4 bay hoppers would find more customers - and that is important for the manufacturer, so they would get higher priority. If you want to make 2-bay hoppers, then try to choose a prototype nobody did before (composite hopper?).
Here is a better example: AAR 40' boxcar. I don't think it would make much sense to make those because they were made by GoldCoast. If you make AAR 40' boxcars, you'd have to share the market with GoldCoast/Lok-N-Roll and it would harm both, even if you make some minor difference in the details (door type or size, ends..) We see this happening in European TT where various manufacturers make models of the same prototype (while nobody makes models of other prototypes). That approach is bad for everyone.
Other manufacturers are not supposed to be your enemies. They help you to add more variety to the scale and attract more customers also to your products.

Turnouts yes, but why the streetcar size? #6 and higher please, not #4, this is not H0 scale :grin:
HP Products made #5 and #7. Should we aim for worse than them?
I have just finished assembling some #6 turnouts from Filigran. They are really good, but they are also the shortest pleausible. I'll buy some longer turnouts from them if the budget allows.
j p

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:
milwrd1 wrote:I also agree with jp. Models which were previously made and are relatively easily available (the Kemtron hopper is a good example) should not be made again. Could use a general purpose flatcar and gondola (various lengths, I haven't forgotten Rob M's excellent G31 gondola) and a 3 bay hopper. Common cars which would transcend many years.

You must not confuse "occasionally available on E-Bay for various prices and needs work to make run" with Ready-To-Run off the shelf. I would like a readily available selection of R-T-R cars so a new TT-Scale modeller can easily get started. After they are established they can start searching out older products that are still available.

One thing I forgot to mention was track. If we are going to dream in technicolor lets try for Code 60 Kato Unitrack in TT-Scale.
Turnouts - #4, #6 and a #3 wye. A selection of curves starting at 15" radius and going up to 24", plus the various straight sections needed to tie it all together. Kato quality track in TT-Scale would be fantastic.

No confusion here. I fully support RTR models, and yes, the more RTR models which are available, the easier it will be for anyone to get started in TT. We all support the new technology and want to see that technology used to develop new TT models. The Gold Coast boxcar kits are a better example of the point I was trying to make. I don't think a RTR or kit model of an AAR boxcar should be at the top of the list for new TT models. It's already been done and they are currently available. I think you mentioned a X-29 boxcar. The X-29 is a model which most can probably use, and is not currently available. Make a X-29 first before producing something which has been previously made.

For the older stuff ("various prices and needs work to make run"), I believe the example of the Kemtron Offset Hopper is a good one. It has been done before. Yes, it is true that some work will probably be required with the older kits. But this is a matter of modeling preference. I've enjoyed many hours putting together the older style kits. I fully realize the changing times and the current modelling trends favoring RTR models. Without a doubt RTR is the vehicle to grow the scale.

Track. The old stumbling block of TT. The lack of flextrack and assembled turnouts was probably the single thing which contributed to TT's demise in the 1950's and 1960's. Kato Uni Track in TT scale would be great :!: :!: Quality track components (readily available in North America, code 60 or 70) should be at the top of anybody's list, when discussing potential growth of TT scale in NA. I am aware of what's available at Euro Train Hobby; it just takes time for George to get the requested items.
milwrd1

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models