TT roofwalks

TT roofwalks

Postby scaro » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:23 am

hi

i got a trial run of 40' and a few 50' boxcar roofwalks etched.

they turned out very nice. they are a scale 1'11" wide -about spot on, i think 1'10" was the normal width. they are the apex pattern which is the most common type.

i'll take a pic sometime over the weekend and upload. they come as a pair, so enough for two boxcars. i'm happy to sell some of the 40' ones. i believe a few of you expressed interest, so message me.

i've got less of the 50' ones and i need those for my own aussie modelling; we had a lot of grain hoppers converted from 45' boxvans and they had two roofwalks.

ben
scaro

Re: TT roofwalks

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Sure thing Ben I will take some off of you. See what your response is and I will take the rest of what you don't need. I would like the details of where you got them from if you can. I would like to ask them for some fifty foot ones if possible. Do you know if the fifty foot ones cut down will be good enough to do a forty foot car or not
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:52 pm

the pics. quite nice work. 4.8mm or .188" wide. 40' ones are 4.25" long or 108mm. 50' ones are 5.16" or 131mm.
TT scale roofwalk etches 004.jpg

@richard:
i believe marquette commented that just trimming them would not work but with these ones, i suspect they would. i am not sure why he thought they wouldn't, but it might be because some real ones were in sections- but i'd defer to him to say why as he's more of a US freight car guru than i'll ever be. they are quite fine so i do not believe that cutting them would be hard.

it does make me think that getting an etch of other essential parts like ladders and brake wheels would be the next step ...

PM me or call me re getting some.

cheers, ben
scaro

Postby railtwister » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Ben,

The roofwalks look very good, I'd like to get some as well. If you are considering brake wheels and ladders, don't forget the little platforms used under the high mounted brakewheels on the ends of boxcars and reefers prior to the time when brakewheels began being mounted lower on the ends after roofwalks were banned. Stirrup steps are another item that could be made with the etching process. Also, roofwalks could be made up for Alex's PS-2 hoppers and perhaps platforms for chemical tank cars, too.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby scaro » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:19 pm

@railtwister

unfortunately they are scaled down from HO or S ones and the maker does not do brake wheels and other bits and pieces. i think it would be good to get these done in TT too, and may take it up with him, as maybe there would be a market in S particularly for those parts too. i have to see how many i've got left over.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:55 am

Ben, what's the price?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:24 pm

That looks pretty decent!

scaro wrote:i am not sure why he thought they wouldn't, but it might be because some real ones were in sections

That's exactly why - metal running boards were all assembled on the car out of shorter sections. So my comment was made with the thought that the etching depicted the seams between the sections. If that detail is represented, than cutting a 50' board down wouldn't work. However with these, as the seams aren't represented, I think you could get away with cutting the longer ones down.

Brake steps are essential too, to go with the running board - I'd say in upwards of 90% of cases the brake step was of the same design as the running board - wood with wood, Ajax with Ajax, Morton with Morton, etc.

So I'd say brake steps and brakewheels would be the next step - if needed, I can provide pictures/drawings of the various types of brakewheel.

Ladders of various types are a good idea too... though I'd leave those till after the brake steps and brakewheels.

I'd also echo Conducttor's question - how much?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:31 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Ben, what's the price?

the ones i got came in at $8 or £8 a pair (cant' recall which) but let me consult further on that because i had them done just to use up space on an S scale run of etches ....
scaro

Return to Prototypes / Models