TT-places in USA?

TT-places in USA?

Postby Arseny » Fri May 04, 2012 6:00 am

One Russian modeller asked me, if there are any places (shops, clubs, etc) useful for TTers in USA?
He is planning to visit New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, maybe also Toronto.
Any ideas?..
Arseny

Re: TT-places in USA?

Postby scaro » Fri May 04, 2012 6:30 am

well, certainly not in NYC, so far as i know and i did visit a lot of hobby shops when i was there. TT hasn't really been present generally on the retail scene in any way since the 60s, according to the proprietors of red caboose who did engage me on the topic in a humorous but abusive way ;-)
scaro

Postby Murad » Fri May 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Ebay )))
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Murad wrote:Ebay )))

:lol: :lol:
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:40 pm

On occasion Charles Ro in Malden, MA has some TT stuff in. I have bought some Lionel TT engines from that store, as well as some HP freight cars and parts. Some of the older guys that work there are very knowledgeable about TT. (One guy has a lot to share about EM gauge, which was a niche scale.)

Be aware though, that getting there involves a maze of one way streets and roads that date back to the days of the horse-and-buggy.

I have only known 3 people that have even dabbled in EM scale, all scratchbuilds or English imports.

EDIT: typo, as far as mainstream EM was concerned, it never caught on in the US. I do recall reading about EM Gauge in an early issue of Model Railroader, wherein a US reader lamented the loss of the gauge here in the 40's.
Last edited by AstroGoat760 on Sat May 05, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Arseny » Sat May 05, 2012 2:08 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:On occasion Charles Ro in Malden, MA has some TT stuff in. I have bought some Lionel TT engines from that store, as well as some HP freight cars and parts. Some of the older guys that work there are very knowledgeable about TT. (One guy has a lot to share about EM gauge, which was a niche scale and fell out of favor in the early 1940's.)

Be aware though, that getting there involves a maze of one way streets and roads that date back to the days of the horse-and-buggy.

Is it their web site?

http://www.charlesro.com/
Arseny

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:17 am

Arseny wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:On occasion Charles Ro in Malden, MA has some TT stuff in. I have bought some Lionel TT engines from that store, as well as some HP freight cars and parts. Some of the older guys that work there are very knowledgeable about TT. (One guy has a lot to share about EM gauge, which was a niche scale and fell out of favor in the early 1940's.)

Is it their web site?

http://www.charlesro.com/

Yes, that is it. There is a lot of older stuff that they have that is not on the web site though, and the last few times I was there, I had to ask for some items specifically.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby scaro » Sat May 05, 2012 1:14 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote: (One guy has a lot to share about EM gauge, which was a niche scale and fell out of favor in the early 1940's.)

i thought 'EM' started in the war in the UK when model track was scarce and modellers, forced to make their own, decided they may as well opt for 18mm as a more accurate gauge for 4mm scale. a society started to promote it in the 50s and it has never looked back.

further, i thought american OO -which did vanish in the 40s- actually used 19mm track?

or was there a different 'EM' in the US too?

ben
scaro

Postby areibel » Sat May 05, 2012 1:22 pm

[/quote]

further, i thought american OO -which did vanish in the 40s- actually used 19mm track?
ben[/quote]

American OO did use 19mm track, there are still a few that work in it. They actually use On3 track, NMRA gaiges, etc.. Lionel produced both two and three rail stuff, there were other pre war companies that did either two rail or two rail with and outside pick up rail. There was actually some pretty neat stuff done in American OO up until the early 60's, I have a Kemtron OO GP7 kit I should build someday. It's nice, but I wish Kemtron would have tried a TT one instead!
areibel

Return to General Discussion