TT people

TT people

Postby dileTTante » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:17 pm

My trains look like ghost trains, no engineers in the cabs, no passengers in the passenger cars. Years ago I bought a few TT scale figures made by Auhagen. I had hoped to make molds from them to cast more figures. Now perhaps figures can be made by 3-D printing. Since I have no experience with 3-D work I thought making TT figures would be a good first project. In many cases a complete figure isn't needed and fine detail isn't needed either, since the figures would be inside the locomotive or car and seated. The TT people I have are very tiny, so can anyone say whether the detailing would be too fine for a Shapeways project? It's a lazy question because I think I could find out with research.
dileTTante

Re: TT people

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:34 pm

That ^^^ is one thing I won't spend any time on. Creating a "fluid" shape vs (mostly) flat surfaces and right angles is a completely different animal.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Well, would you order a set of figures if they were available from Shapeways?

Any art student's book breaks the human figure into basic solid shapes. I would try reducing photos of people and placing the images on a scale grid in order to get basic dimensions to use in sketchup. Or maybe go from the Auhagen figures in the photo. A TT person's head will be just under 2 millimeters. Can a head that size be printed by shapeways? Can any smaller details be added?

Other approaches are possible. For example the old BTTB locomotives have the motor in the cab and no room for a figure of an engineer or fireman. I have considered just a painted silhouette cut from paper card, slipped between the motor and the cab window. And in the passenger cars just head and shoulders would do if you're not a peeping tom, but there it would be better if they were 3 dimensional. Figures would include Amish and black people, the ones who ride trains in America.
Attachments
TT_pople.jpeg
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:36 pm

I have come across a few issues of Model Railroader that covered the production of figures. I will have to post what issues those were in. I think making a wire armatue with casing would work best.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:09 am

I suggest using Noch or Preiser TT figures. Here are a few that would be at home anywhere

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Noch-45959-TT-Le ... 581wt_1185
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:41 am

I use Noch or Preiser too. And Merten (some of them are sold under the trademark Faller)

There are a lot of engineers, passengers, workers etc. available.
Even pigs and gooses
a-pig-and-a-goose-t184.html

I used some people figures here:
railroad-crossing-t1253.html
cars-t1306.html
bus-stop-t1241.html

The only thing I need are policemen and firemen.

I am afraid that figures made by Shapeways will be too rough...

P.S. There are some unpainted people figures in TT (i don't remember - Noch or Preiser?). You can use them, and paint as black people, if you want...
Last edited by Arseny on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arseny

Postby Arseny » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:45 am

ConducTTor wrote:I suggest using Noch or Preiser TT figures. Here are a few that would be at home anywhere

Hmm... In Stalin's Moscow in 1940s... on the Red Square near Kremlin... I have a small doubt... :lol:
Arseny

Postby dileTTante » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:48 am

Thanks for the input, everyone.

If I put a minimum of 10-15 passengers in each car and have four cars per train, that's 40-60 figures. With the three trains I have that totals 120 to 180 passengers, and I expect to get another train of cars. Altogether, more than I can make individually and a lot to buy already manufactured.

I am afraid that figures made by Shapeways will be too rough...

This is what I wanted to know.
dileTTante

Postby Arseny » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:02 am

dileTTante wrote:Thanks for the input, everyone.

If I put a minimum of 10-15 passengers in each car and have four cars per train, that's 40-60 figures. With the three trains I have that totals 120 to 180 passengers, and I expect to get another train of cars. Altogether, more than I can make individually and a lot to buy already manufactured.

Try to use Preiser 75100 or 75101 unpainted figures
http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Preiser/75100.aspx
http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Preiser/75101.aspx

- they are cheap enough, $15-20 for 72 figures.
Last edited by Arseny on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arseny

Postby dileTTante » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:55 am

Thanks again. Looks good.
dileTTante

Next

Return to General Discussion