tt nz 120

tt nz 120

Postby jmass » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:29 pm

i see some items on ebay marked tt nz 120. the cars look nice and measure out at four and a half inches in lenght. someone had posted a comparison of tt and tt nz 120. was just wondering how compatible they would be with true tt.
jmass

Re: tt nz 120

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:55 pm

I think they are correct except for the wheel width which is for N scale track (9mm).
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:29 am

I am sure, these items are simply TT scale, they are old HP or Gandy Dancer cars.
Look, they are not narrow gauge. And also the seller says - they are "strange scale" :), not N.

But as for me, I want 0-6-0 locomotive, mind you! :)
Arseny

Postby scaro » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 am

NZ120 is true TT. these models aren't NZ120 because they aren't from New Zealand, but they are certainly TT, as any 1:120 model is.

the difference is only track gauge, but a huge % of the world's railways are 3', metre gauge or 3'6", and for those lines, 9mm track is close to the right gauge at 1:120. i think narrow gauge is TT's future, so it's interesting that the seller wrongly uses the term NZ120.

there's a common misconception that NZ120, TTn3.5, TTn3 etc 'aren't real TT'. as someone who makes his own, let me assure you they are. i have a narrow gauge aussie grain wagon on my work desk at the moment and i'm using jim o'brien's TT scale rule, just as any TTer would in america. 1:120 is merely a proportion; wherever you live, it's the same :wink:

real life narrow gauge wagons are commonly 75% the size of standard gauge ones. in fact, this one: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/asmay2002/vh_wagon.htm is even described a 'miniature' of an american boxcar.

so in 1:120 they tend to be close to N in physical size. for example, a model 36' boxvan in TT - a common size on australian 3'6" railways - is the same physical size as a 50' N model boxcar.

this is an advantage, as you can have a TT layout in an N scale space.

however, while narrow gauge TT may be similar to N in actual size of models, you quickly appreciate the scale difference if you scratchbuild.

the larger scale allows for greater fidelity when doing details like planking, side bracing, bolts and rivets. In N this is something for the master modeller, and fine detail is usually etched. in TT an average joe like me can do it by hand.

ben
scaro

Return to General Discussion