TT Nut PS2 2 Bay Covered Hopper

Re: TT Nut PS2 2 Bay Covered Hopper

Postby scaro » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:38 am

It seems from the limited info around that PS2s only came to SOO in 1957.

An online presentation about the last decade of the DSS&A says that steam ended in 1954 with the scrapping of their last two steam locos, the 91 and 92. All over locos including the 90, I assume, had been scrapped by 1953. There is an online colour pic of the 92 dated 1959 but I suspect that date is unlikely; more likely 1949.

I do not think DSS&A had any PS2s but leased six airslide hoppers in 1955 - which have been available in TT as an etch from Ingo Schwaetzer - though not sure the one offered is the same as the DSS&A ones.

Ben
scaro

Postby Arseny » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 am

Thank you for the info, Ben.
You are right, the 2-bay PS-2 hoppers appeared on the SOO Line only in 1957 (the grey ones - even in 1958).
I've found the Soo Line Historical and Technical Society's web site and found the H0 scale PS2 hoppers there:
http://www.sooline.org/models/hopper_ce ... ement.html

I've contacted with this society and they gave me some info and detailed painting scheme for these models.

Of course, it will be a little historical incorrectness to use them with a steam locomotive, but ...but what should I do?
To begin with, I've read at different forums and sites that the PS-2 covered hoppered appeared in the late 1940s. But I've read the "The model railroader's guide to freight cars" book by Jeff Wilson (at the Google Books), and he says that Pullman Standard introduced the PS-2 hoppers only in 1952! So I have a very short time-frame to use it with a steam locomotive...

In the second place - I can use only the painting scheme with black letters and white or light grey wagons (maybe yellow) - because I can print only black decals, not white.

In third place - I need some SOO Line wagons to model this railroad (and I want to model it because I have DSS&A locomotive).
I have not SOO Line boxcars (yet), so I want to use at least SOO Line hoppers!

As a result of the above, I decided that I can perform a little fiction ;) Let us assume that SOO got these hoppers a little bit earlier, or maybe they did not retire one steam locomotive until 1958...
I think it will not be a GREAT crime... :shifty:

But maybe you can recommend me any other railroad and painting scheme?
I need the white (or light grey) hopper and black letters, suitable for early 1950s...
Arseny

Postby scaro » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 pm

hi arseny

no, i was not meaning to suggest that the inaccuracy was a great crime. not at all. the DSS&A looks quite an interesting road.

as for a road with earlier PS2s in that region, M&StL had some and I think they had them in the 1940s in a black paint scheme possibly. possibly C&NW and MILW too, i don't know the build dates on theirs. i'd just do the SOO ones - no one will know.

ben
scaro

Postby Arseny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Some photos.

Jakob "J.R." (the same guy who made the trucks for me) painted my hopper...

hopper1.jpg
hopper2.jpg
hopper3.jpg

The decals are self-made; I've got the painting and lettering scheme for the SOO Line hoppers from the Soo Line historical society.
Gold Coast's trucks and Micro-Trains couplers were used.

The only thing that I am worrying about - it seems to me that it is too dark...
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:15 pm

I may be a little bias but it's great! Although I agree that it's a bit dark.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:28 am

I am afraid Jakob is specializing in military vehicles painting.
So it seems to me he used the same color and the same method of painting as for the German trucks of the 1940s... :)

tatra141.JPG
gruzoviki.JPG
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:06 am

Now updated for and available in FUD. http://www.shapeways.com/model/309433/p ... a5aac5e978
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 am

cool. one on the way.
scaro

Postby scaro » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:55 am

... and it's here. not got the wax washed off yet, but i do not think this will have lines or pitting and no furriness compared to WSF. it is also sturdy enough that that it looks unlikely to warp. in fact, the side thickness might even stand reducing a bit ... based on comparison with the covered U12 from bone valley, i think the roof should keep everything square?

good stuff.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:35 pm

scaro wrote:... and it's here. not got the wax washed off yet, but i do not think this will have lines or pitting and no furriness compared to WSF. it is also sturdy enough that that it looks unlikely to warp. in fact, the side thickness might even stand reducing a bit ... based on comparison with the covered U12 from bone valley, i think the roof should keep everything square?

good stuff.

Yay! :wave:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models