TT Nut PS2 2 Bay Covered Hopper

Re: TT Nut PS2 2 Bay Covered Hopper

Postby Zs12 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:08 am

When I read Dandruff's blog, I wondered, wouldn't that an approach for NA-TT detail parts or complete models? The results seem to look much better than shapeway's, apparently for affordable prices.
Zs12

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:41 am

JBr wrote:I'd like to use Shapeways to print master models for resin casting.
I would suggest you use someone else to produce a master. I will likely resin cast the U Boat shell and the master will NOT be done by Shapeways.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:57 am

lüTTe wrote:When I read Dandruff's blog, I wondered, wouldn't that an approach for NA-TT detail parts or complete models? The results seem to look much better than shapeway's, apparently for affordable prices.

I can't figure out what type of manufacturing process they used. Laser cutting????
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:54 pm

ConducTTor wrote: I would suggest you use someone else to produce a master. I will likely resin cast the U Boat shell and the master will NOT be done by Shapeways.

Have you found anyone who can print the cars with SLA or other finer method? What would they cost with a finer finish? At some point they would probably be cheaper per unit to have them resin casted from one nice master but then you become a manufacturer instead of a hobbyist.....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:01 pm

JBr wrote:I'm wondering if the surface of the object can be sanded to be smooth? I'd like to use Shapeways to print master models for resin casting.

Sanding them smooth would probably be easier if a coat of primer was applied to fill the grain of the plastic then sanded smooth. The, problem would be sanding around the details like ribs, rivets, etc.
If you want to resin cast parts you can probably find a smoother way to print the master than shapeways, apparently other methods offer better print resolution. The Smokey Mountain kits come out quite smooth so it's possible....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm currently shopping for a better RP method. It will only be used for a master for the U Boat due to the cost. I'm also contemplating resin casting the shell myself. Yeah I guess would venture into the territory of manufacturer then but cost wise it may be the only way. Having to come up with cash up front for 30+ pieces is a strain. I'm determined to get the process right - once that happens I may switch all models to resin cast but that's some ways off and there is a lot to do before that.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Zs12 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:08 am

ConducTTor wrote:I can't figure out what type of manufacturing process they used. Laser cutting????

No, they spoke about RP resin and the noted prices are in NZ dollars, so cheaper for us (excluding shipment): http://motoriseddandruff.blogspot.com/2 ... icles.html

... oooh, it seems they're made by the same guy, who's making the TT Scale Society's EMD GP38-2, Mark Gasson. :thumbup: Perfect!
Zs12

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am

Ah - cool. I'm leaning more and more toward casting my own resin. Smokey Mountain hasn't bothered responding to me anyway.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby sd80mac » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Not to put them in a bad light, but I contacted Smokey Mountain a few years ago about having some short-run injection molds cut and the guy on the phone was very short and kind of snippy with his answers. So, I basically withdrew them as a potential source for any future product development or manufacturing endeavors. There are plenty of companies that will happily do the work, and they are just as good, if not better.

Donnell

ConducTTor wrote:Ah - cool. I'm leaning more and more toward casting my own resin. Smokey Mountain hasn't bothered responding to me anyway.
sd80mac

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:51 pm

I've pretty much written them off. It's been 3 business days since I contacted them. If they wanted my business, they would have replied by now - with the economy being what it is you'd figure people wouldn't be lazy about making $$$. Apparently, you'd figure wrong.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models