TT Nut Module Standards

TT Nut Module Standards

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:24 pm

The TT Nut module standards have been developed by members of this board.

The standards are meant to facilitate easily connectible modules within the constraints of NMRA or similar shows / exhibitions.
The modules are designed for two separate continuous loops to allow simultaneous running of DC and DCC engines. Therefore if there are cross-overs between the inside and outside lines, they must be able to be deactivated both mechanically and electrically.
All modules must adhere to track separation of 43mm / 1.69 inches. Minimum curves allowed have a radius of 353mm / 13.89 inches. Modules are connected together via use of Tillig 83mm / 3.26 inch G2 straight track.
Track height is 40 inches / 1016 mm from the floor and level at all module ends. Track slope at any point is a maximum of 4 percent.

There are three basic modules (click on pictures for full size versions):

1. The mainline module

TT_Nut_mainline_module.jpg

2. The corner module

TT_Nut_corner_module.jpg

3. The staging module

TT_Nut_staging_module.jpg

Together the 3 basic types of modules are combined to form the following:

TT_Nut_basic_modules_combined.jpg

The 90deg corner module is 2 feet by 2 feet / 609.6mm X 609.6mm. Two corner modules may be combined into a single 180deg module which is 4 feet by 2 feet / 1219.2mm X 609.6mm. The module would look like this:

TT_Nut_double_corner_module.jpg

The mainline and staging modules are each 2 feet / 609.6mm deep and a minimum of 2 feet / 609.6mm long. Mainline and staging modules must be the same length. The above examples are each 4 feet long.

The staging modules are designed to allow for multiple tracks using a single or multiple modules such as this:

multiple_staging_module.jpg

The staging module may be expanded for more lines such as this:

staging_module_2.jpg

Corner and mainline modules must include an 8" / 203.2mm backdrop. The backdrop must fall within the 2 foot depth.
The following example of a module is taken from the NMRA's TT standards (with small edits):

module_standards.jpg

This topic is meant as a reference and not a discussion therefore it is locked. For comments, questions, suggestions please see the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=171
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: TT Nut Module Standards

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:22 pm

For wiring the wiring standards, please take a look at the following document (thanks CSD for getting this done!):

- Attachment removed temporarily for fixes. -
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:49 pm

We're thinking of retiring the TT Nut module standards since they're not quite complete and no one is currently using them. I would like to have SOMETHING as a standard but maybe we're not at that point in our growth yet. So the question is: use the AKTT standrads, the FKTT standards, or nothing - let's see what people actually produce in real life and maybe create some standard around it. Or maybe there is some other standard we should look at (the NMRA)?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:24 am

Hey guys, it's been brought to my attention that this topic is locked but we have no standards in place. So, can we decide on something? It doesn't need to stand the test of time. But it does need to get us all on the same page for at least the near future. Comments are appreciated.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CN-TT » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:28 am

I'm with Bill Dixon's TT-Tracks, though I'm not against any other standard.
Here are my reasons:
1) I have good wood working skills but no tools here in Canada.
2.1) If I had tools, I would need at least a small workshop instead of a bed room in a rental apartment.
2.2) If someone offers a module kit that would only need assembling I'd buy one or two.
3) This brings me to my next problem. I'm planing on 1 or 2 modules that I can carry in a suitcase with public transportation. Foam is very light.
4) Handeling the foamboard is easy. Only a sharp knife and some glue requiered to build a simple module.
5) I would love to see modules put together from all over this continent! But unfortunately, I don't see this happen :cry:

This said, I'm going with what's already here. I'm going with the flow!

PS: Who is comming to the NMRA Train Show in Portland, OR in August! This is a good chance to represent the TTnutters!?
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby Zs12 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:01 pm

After some discussion about an appropiate US-TT module standard on tt-board.de, I opted for a non-standard design though, because I don't have enough space for half metre deep modules. But I will build an adapter piece of L=200 mm x W=300/500 mm for TT meetings.
It would be great, if we could define one standard at least for NA-based modular layouts, so that those modules eventually could be connected with each others, no matter where you come from, Canada, USA, Denmark or elsewhere. I would prefer such a standard to every other!
Zs12

Postby Richard-B » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:22 pm

I have been involved with a travelling 'sectional' On30 layout for over 12 years... We have been as far as Seattle, and just did O-Scale West 2015. http://roninengineer.com/index.php/the-gang
Here are some thoughts:

There are -very- few locations in North America that can muster even a handful (i.e. ~5) of TT modelers within a 90-minute drive of each other. This limits the viability of any traditional modular layout using typical 4-foot sections plus corner modules, as there will rarely be a critical mass available locally to set up. A smaller group (2 or 3) may choose this path... but will seldom see visiting modules.

So... if you can't drive to get together for a meet... the next most obvious option is to be able to fly.

Most of the TT-tracks http://tt-tracks.org/ sections have the advantage that the basic sections are transportable as airline luggage. The YSL has proven that blue-foam and plywood skin -built sections/modules are both light and VERY sturdy. Three of the TT-Tracks straight sections can be stacked together with spacers (<3in each) along with their thin backdrops, and would fit within the airline carry-on dimensions of 221n by 14 in by 9in.

A matched set of three T-Tracks end-to-end gives an almost 5 foot run of similarly finished layout... which is as good most other systems with a larger form factor.

There is a good chance that I could do Portland at the end of August this year... and I would be interested in supporting this approach; even if I did choose the California thing and go for the 12-hour non-stop drive!
Last edited by Richard-B on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby MacG » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:10 pm

Zs12 wrote:After some discussion about an appropiate US-TT module standard on tt-board.de, I opted for a non-standard design though, because I don't have enough space for half metre deep modules. But I will build an adapter piece of L=200 mm x W=300/500 mm for TT meetings.
It would be great, if we could define one standard at least for NA-based modular layouts, so that those modules eventually could be connected with each others, no matter where you come from, Canada, USA, Denmark or elsewhere. I would prefer such a standard to every other!

There is no standard width at FKTT modules. We build currently US-TT modules with 300, 400 and 500mm depth.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:17 pm

Ok, so Bill's TT-Tracks standard will be what we adopt as the NA TT standard. Unless someone has a reason NOT to.

I will delete all these posts in a few days and will just post the TTT standard and lock the topic.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Bill Dixon hasn't posted much lately but I know he intends to take his TT-Tracks layout to the show in Portland. That means there will be a layout for running your TT scale trains in front of the public. If other TT nuts attend the show then it will be an opportunity to see the strengths and shortcomings of TT Tracks. I intend to be there to help Bill, along with my friend Graeme who helps us at the shows in Vancouver.

I hope that during our next show here in a few weeks we can get a better idea of who will be going down to the show in Portland.

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans