TT Nut kits at Shapeways

Re: TT Nut kits at Shapeways

Postby richardedmonds » Mon May 14, 2012 8:37 am

Alex I do agree with Jorg --- I feel sort of comfortable knowing that there is some TT available even if the finish is not what we really want. When you first produced them it was a major advance in available TT products and are good models in my opinion, and even more so since Elmer stopped producing kits. What does everybody else think about this, Alex made huge strides forward with these cars tell him we think about them
richardedmonds

Postby jmass » Mon May 14, 2012 9:04 am

Dude! i dont see the point of this. the cars may not be injection molding but there not that bad. with paint and a decent [not like mine] decal job the look pretty good. when i watch videos that ive taken these cars look fantastic along side the gold coast boxcars. again, nothing to do with my butcher decal job! i feel pulling the plug on these cars would be a giant step backwards. i must of missed something, what is the reason for wanting to pull these cars off. joe
jmass

Postby Arseny » Mon May 14, 2012 11:16 am

First of all: Alex, your Shapeways kits/models were the great idea, and, I am sure, started a new age in American TT!
Maybe they are a little bit rough, but it is a thing that can be bought by anybody, without any search and/or scratchbuilding.

My opinion: for the progress of the American TT it is necessary for any novice to go and buy some rolling stock.
Imagine: if you yesterday decided to test the TT - what should you buy and use? Only Gold Coast's boxcars? It is not enough!
(Remember: PVM stopped the production of their cars)
Of course, there are some stuff available occasionally - Rob's gondolas, RailTT's boxcars, Ingo's cars... but I am afraid they will not be available anywhen in future...
And don't forget - there are no more covered hoppers available!

So, I think it would be a good idea to leave them available - for somebody who want to start in American TT.

P.S. But Alex, if you still want to cancel your cars on Shapeways, please, leave 1 or 2 2-bay covered hoppers for me.
I wanted to order them a little bit later...
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 14, 2012 11:49 am

Well, ok. No one had ordered any for some time and the surface roughness bugs me so I figured they'd done their job and it's time to move on. Apparently I was wrong. They'll stay.

In this case, I'll make them unavailable for a little bit so I can redo the truck mounting heights to conform to NMRA standards (the trucks will change accordingly).
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Mon May 14, 2012 12:29 pm

in my case, ive been holding off on any purchases until i find out about are bid on the house. i definately intend on buying at least two or three more of each. also, it would be a major disincentive for anyone new to the scale to take away four different styles of freight car. i think we need to remind folks now and then whats available in tt scale and that would also include mention of tt scale societys gp 38 project. alot of new members might not even know these things exist.
jmass

Postby Richard-B » Mon May 14, 2012 1:30 pm

jmass wrote:in my case, ive been holding off on any purchases until i find out about our bid on the house

Where are your priorities???

A roof over your head... or more TT-scale?!?!

Just make sure you reserve an appropriate space for TT objects of desire...
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby jmass » Mon May 14, 2012 1:32 pm

case in point. would be a mighty boring train without conduters cars.
jmass

Postby Richard-B » Mon May 14, 2012 1:34 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Well, ok. No one had ordered any for some time and the surface roughness bugs me so I figured they'd done their job and it's time to move on. Apparently I was wrong. They'll stay.

Many thanks!

NO: They are not "perfect"
YES: They are the best choice we have today!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby MacG » Mon May 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Even if the cars are not allowed to be produced in FUD, I would order some cars in WSF.

You can't have everything. A revision takes time - sometimes you just don't have one.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:09 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Well, ok. No one had ordered any for some time and the surface roughness bugs me so I figured they'd done their job and it's time to move on. Apparently I was wrong. They'll stay.

In this case, I'll make them unavailable for a little bit so I can redo the truck mounting heights to conform to NMRA standards (the trucks will change accordingly).

I have one of the gondolas and a few trucks. The surface roughness is not so bad at a distance, and besides, you've seen some of the things I've put out by hand. Getting better...but it takes time and practice.

The only reason I have not bought more is having to deal with my present medical status, and being stuck at home on VA disability, which limits what I can do right now, as nobody wants a vet with major pain control issues working for them. If things were better, I would likely have about a dozen of the Shapeways kits right now, and would not be focused so heavily on building cars and buildings on the cheap.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models