TT Nut GE U30B

Re: TT Nut GE U30B

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:28 am

BTW, I'll be using the MTB trucks and a modified version of my U Boat chassis to put the GP38 shells on.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Well, this is super cool! Great video. Looks like it runs pretty smooth.

Are you going to make a squished AAR side frame as an option? I think I can get over the 0.8 millimetres.

I'll stand by for one (or more) of those GP38-2 chassis' too.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:13 pm

CSD wrote:Are you going to make a squished AAR side frame as an option? I think I can get over the 0.8 millimetres.

Haven't thought about it. Maybe?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:54 am

So, as i won GE U30B body shell :wave: I wonder what should I do to get complete locomotive, what chassis/power unit should I use, and some other questions:

1) I would like to use it as U25B, not U30B, because I want to model late 1950s. Is it possible? Were there any visual differences between them? I've read about some "minor differences", but what particularly?

2) I've noticed two different types of trucks for the U30Bs (or were they U28Bs?) - one of them looks like MTB's 9' trucks,

3a67ba4c7351e4278d603930e731ff4e.jpg
wp3051a.jpg

but another looks like old T.435/BR107/ChME-2 "Pennsylvanian" type trucks

600px-Hugh_llewelyn_2879_(5961577726).jpg
1011_LN2503BHAM1970_1.jpg

- any comments? What trucks should I use?
(There were no any U25Bs or U30Bs on "my" SOO Line, so I suppose I should use it as some other Midwestern railroad. Maybe Milwaukee Road?)

3) In the upshot, what chassis/power unit should I use?
a) MTBs 9' trucks? But which motor?
b) Power unit from Lok-n-Roll?.. ( http://lok-n-roll.de/product/antriebfah ... -9-copy-2/ ) ?
c) Maybe Tillig BR218?
d) T.435 or BR.107 with "old style" trucks? Maybe it's possible to "stretch" it?
...something else?..
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:11 am

The shell is designed as phase IIf1. You can do some research and see what the differences are with other phases and also the U25B. I'll send you truck frames that fit on MTB trucks. For motor and chassis you will have to figure something out. The chassis I'm designing for it is actually ready but I'm still working on manufacturing possibilities.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:12 am

Hi Arseny,
Those first two pictures you posted were U30's with Bloomberg trucks that were reused from traded in EMD (General Motors) units, the last two are what most of the U boats came with. They're the AAR Type B used by by GE and Alco. If you want to model a trade in version you could use the MTB 9' trucks or even the Lok N Roll GP38 chassis, but it would be a little short in wheelbase (about 2 feet).
If you want the GE style trucks they're a little longer wheelbase (9 feet 4 inches vs. 9 feet) but sideframes are available. They're the same as used on the old Kemtron FA, I can send you a set if you need them. You can ignore the 4 inch difference and mount them on a 9' truck (it is hard to see the difference unless you look closely) or use a Bull Ant.
The body is different between the U30 and U25. If you look at the U30 you can see the bulge at the end of the long hood (it shows up on the pictures of the Western Pacific units), The U25 had smooth sides all the way back.
You'd have to do some surgery to remove the bulge and add in the grilles for the U25, but I think the overall length and wheelbase is the same. If you go for the Milwaukee Road they had U30B's, and here is a roster of others-
http://www.trainweb.org/jaydeet/u30b.htm
And I think someone might have decals already for the Milwaukee and Frisco (SLSF)
It's good to see your railroad is entering the modern era, but don't start scrapping all your steamers!
areibel

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models