TT Nut GE U30B

Re: TT Nut GE U30B

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:19 am

I'll def have to come up with something. I just don't want to just rely on tape - I want a model that will keep its integrity for a long time. I'll throw a little oil in there and see if it helps.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:47 am

ConducTTor wrote:Off Ebay. I asked Trainmasters (the only RR hobby shop in the ATL area) and they said they can't sell me a bunch of motors - Atlas rules or something to that effect. I won't bother talking to Atlas. My conversations with all manufacturers of models regarding parts for this project have ended in something that roughly translates to "eff you".

Hi Alex,

Especially when it comes their parts service, I think you may be unfairly pre-judging Atlas based on the attitudes of other companies. I have found that they go out of their way to help with your parts needs, and I have had some pretty obscure, oddball requests, frequently for unlisted or non-cataloged parts. They haven't always had what I needed in stock, but they frequently have, and have always at least tried to help.

I think before you criticize them, you should give them a call and see if they can help. Their dealer discount on parts used to be 50% of the listed retail price, I'm not sure if it still is, or whether they would classify you as a dealer.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks Bill I may try them out.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Alex, what about talking to George at eurotrain hobby, maybe as a direct dealer for Tillig he might be able to place an order for you.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Tillig gets suspicious on bulk orders of a particular part and vetos it. Been there, done that. It'll either be Mashima or Atlas. I'm leaning towards Mashima but will wait until it gets here and I can play with it to decide.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Smoky Mtn Model Wks » Sat May 04, 2013 10:26 am

I just tested my web site email link and it works fine. There is no address typing required, just click on the link at the bottom of each page and go from there.

I have no interest in producing TT self-propelled engines (steam, diesel, railcar, etc.).

It appears that the post about a week ago inquiring if there was sufficient interest in downsizing my HO scale CAD files to TT and produce small runs of rolling stock has not generated much response. I'll let this offer simmer a little while longer but, so far, it looks like members of this list aren't very interested.

Jim King
Smoky Mountain Model Works Inc.
Smoky Mtn Model Wks

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Smoky Mtn Model Wks wrote:I just tested my web site email link and it works fine. There is no address typing required, just click on the link at the bottom of each page and go from there.

I have no interest in producing TT self-propelled engines (steam, diesel, railcar, etc.).

It appears that the post about a week ago inquiring if there was sufficient interest in downsizing my HO scale CAD files to TT and produce small runs of rolling stock has not generated much response. I'll let this offer simmer a little while longer but, so far, it looks like members of this list aren't very interested.

Jim King
Smoky Mountain Model Works Inc.

Hey Jim, welcome to the site! Did you mean to post this somewhere else? Let me know where you want it and I'll move it there.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:34 pm

No. The project is not dead. It's just been in a bit of hibernation :smile:

Does anyone know the axle spacing of the Blomberg trucks used on this loco? I'm digging through the webs but can't find anything.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Those aren't Bloombergs, they're AAR Type B, check this out-
http://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/ ... /i-V66H8w8

They were actually designed by the same guy I think, but a "Blomberg" is usually the name associated with a two axle EMD truck.
There was an AAR type A for switchers and the B was for road diesels. And there were actually two versions of that, a 9'4" wheelbase found on GE and Alco locomotives (and they actually wound up under a few EMD's, they were reused from trade ins),
and a 9'10 inch version that used different traction motors. It was only used by Baldwin on their diesels, if I remember correctly!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:46 pm

I read somewhere that there wasn't a specific version for GE locos. The railroads just replaced the GE trucks with used EMD trucks and vice versa. And I thought the type B is 9'?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models