tt model track

tt model track

Postby jmass » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:47 pm

has anyone here used the track from TT MODEL on their layouts? looking at the pictures of their turnouts they look so much better than tilligs. joe
jmass

Re: tt model track

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:15 pm

I thought about using them previously but if I remember correctly it wasn't convenient to get a hold of it.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:46 pm

kuehn offers a super starter set that comes with three turnouts that i might look into. im really not into the tillig turnouts especially after the starter set.
jmass

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:41 pm

In the photo from their site the turnouts look like the ones I got in the early 1990's with an order of Pilz flex track, only the turnouts are marked 'Bing', Western Germany. I have four of them which I was planning to use in a storage yard for low speed movement. That's because the points rails sit a bit higher than the other rails. I've had a chance to try them in operation recently and they'd work okay on mainline track at higher speeds. They have cast metal frogs, and the point rail pivots are pins welded to the rails. Electrical continuity is good, too. I have dressed the points so that there is a better transition between the rail heights. If the TTModel turnouts are like these then they are worthwhile. I'd like to get more. My experience is very limited but I hope these comments help.

After seeing the Tillig bedding track turnouts I appreciate that the old ones are better quality. I'm not impressed with Tillig flex track either. 70 cm track has 64 cm of ties -6cm bare rail.
Attachments
5061.jpg
TT MODEL
DSC02766R.jpg
'Bing'
DSC02773R.jpg
'Bing'
dileTTante

Postby Biased turkey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:36 am

What about the Peco HOm track ?
Being 12mm gauge, couldn't it technically be considered a TT model track ?

Jacques
Biased turkey

Postby CSD » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:10 am

Biased turkey wrote:What about the Peco HOm track ?...

The spacing of the ties tends to be a bit over sized for TT. Good for a staging yard, however.

In terms of the Tillig track, I don't think that it should be dismissed so easily. The flex track is advertised as being 66 cm not 70. The additional track gives some flexibility for installation. The EW1 switch, frankly, is a toy. I have found most switches that have a pivot point rather than "bending the rail" tend to be unreliable. Try the EW 2 or 3. At present Tillig still offers the most complete selection of TT track. I have been using it for years without issue and there is no magic or time travel involved in getting your hands on it.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby dileTTante » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:51 am

CSD wrote:The flex track is advertised as being 66 cm not 70. ---- Try the EW 2 or 3.
My mistake for not noticing advertised length. And I said the flex track I had got years ago was Pilz when it is actually marked Kruger. Photo shows Kruger (50 cm) on left and Tillig (66 cm) on right. Many of the oddly angled ties on the Tillig track are permanently that way. How do you get them straightened out?

And it's hard to tell from the EW 2 photo shown at Eurotrains, are the point rails flexing instead of pivoting?
Attachments
DSC02775R.jpg
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:36 pm

For my flex tack I typically eyeball the spacing. Sticking a rigid piece of track tie between the flex ties can help to space them.

The EW2 is flexing style. Do you want me to bring one with me to Vancouver?
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby dileTTante » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Sure, if it's not any trouble. I need to learn about whatever is available.

I don't want to belabor a minor issue but my complaint about Tillig flex track is that you shouldn't have to deal with the tie spacing at all. When the ties are spaced apart properly many are still bent permanently off right angle and need individual attention when laying the track. Compared to hand laying track this is not a big inconvenience, but compared to better flex track it's disappointing.
dileTTante

Postby j p » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:23 pm

dileTTante wrote:
CSD wrote:The flex track is advertised as being 66 cm not 70. ---- Try the EW 2 or 3.
My mistake for not noticing advertised length. And I said the flex track I had got years ago was Pilz when it is actually marked Kruger. Photo shows Kruger (50 cm) on left and Tillig (66 cm) on right. Many of the oddly angled ties on the Tillig track are permanently that way. How do you get them straightened out?

And it's hard to tell from the EW 2 photo shown at Eurotrains, are the point rails flexing instead of pivoting?

The ties are oddly angled because they are pressed in. Try to stretch the tie segments.
I have got several generations of Pilz/Tillig flex tracks. Oddly angled ties are only on the newest ones. They tried to give more flexibility to the track, so the gap is wider and allows for more deformation. Stretching each of the segmnts to the correct length reduces or solves the problem.
No problems with Tillig tracks here. The only important rule you have to remember when using Tillig's track is: AVOID EW1 ! It is too short anyway (unless you want to make a layout for streetcars)
EW3 is good, EW2 is OK for sidings or acceptable if yor space is very limited.
The EW3/EW2 flex kits are also fine, but slighly tricky to assemble because the individual rails have to be shortened and bended. On the other hand, it is possible to make an asymetrical curved turnout out of the kits. (fx. 4 degrees to left and 8 degrees to right)
And yes, the point rails are flexing on EW2 and EW3. They are thinned for easier flexing. They work even better if more of the rail is thinned.

I searched for some pictures and found this:
EW2:

Thinning. The arrows indicate suggested extension of the thinning

Frog

Soldering from the back side
j p

Next

Return to General Discussion