TT in Model Railroader

TT in Model Railroader

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:44 am

Folks, I've gotten permission to post the excerpt from Model Railroader (thank you Eric and Neil). Here it is...

"Between O and HO is S scale, at 1:64. And below HO is TT scale, at 1:120 (not shown above). It still has some following in Europe and a few holdouts this side of the Atlantic. It's not hard to understand why: In a more logical world, we probably could have gotten by quite nicely with S and TT alone, but that's not how the cards were played."

An excerpt from "Everything's Relative" on page 98 from the December 2009 Model Railroader by Tony Koester
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: TT in Model Railroader

Postby scaro » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:16 am

Hi

This is the second mention of that article I've heard. Would you mind quoting the line on TT or giving the gist of what it says? I am unable to see it as MR is sold in the UK in a plastic bag . . . and it's one more magazine I don't need to buy . . . times are tight at the moment!

Cheers

Ben
scaro

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:37 pm

I will have to look and see if the local hobby shops still have that issue. I have the Jan 2010 and the November 2009 issues.

I can't recall an issue since the 1960's that made more than a passing mention of TT. I hope that this is more than just a passing mention....
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:05 pm

scaro wrote:Hi

This is the second mention of that article I've heard. Would you mind quoting the line on TT or giving the gist of what it says? I am unable to see it as MR is sold in the UK in a plastic bag . . . and it's one more magazine I don't need to buy . . . times are tight at the moment!

Cheers

Ben

I contacted Model Railroader to ask permission for the quote. I thought it may be a good idea as this is a pubic forum and I would not wish to cause problems for our noble administrators. I'll post it if I can.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Well now that my interested has been infinitely piqued, I'll go pick up a copy later.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:13 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Well now that my interested has been infinitely piqued, I'll go pick up a copy later.

CSD wrote:I contacted Model Railroader to ask permission for the quote. I thought it may be a good idea as this is a pubic forum and I would not wish to cause problems for our noble administrators. I'll post it if I can.

I think Mark meant trouble with copyright and stuff... ;)
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:27 pm

- Rant on -

I just went by Barnes and Nobles to pick up the mag (the only place that I know of that carries Model Railroader). They have the January issue which I picked up but did not have the December issue - even though it's December. Apparently as soon as a new issue comes in, they throw away the old ones. What the Haggis?

- Rant off -

@ CSD

Could you paraphrase for us? If MR has a problem with it, there are a million and one ways to contact me.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:33 pm

I picked up a copy.

TT scale is mentioned about 4 times over a paragraph.

Basically it starts off listing gauges and scales from Z to 1, and after it goes a little in depth into the more common scales like N, HO, and O, it goes on about the "between gauges" of TT and S, listing scales and where they fit in the size spectrum.

The author went on to say that S and TT were the two scales that should have made everyone happy, as they were the mid-points, but the introduction of more scales, and smaller scales messed that up due to more people flocking to smaller scales in order to stick more track into the same amount of space.

Nothing was mentioned of the scales below Z, and a great amount of the article covered the changes that the introduction of OOO (later N) and Z made to the hobby.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby jpachl » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:43 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:I can't recall an issue since the 1960's that made more than a passing mention of TT. I hope that this is more than just a passing mention....

More than a month ago, I offered MR to write a short article on my American TT layout. The pictures shown on my website, I could deliver in high resolution suitable for printing. I'm still waiting for an answer.

Joern
jpachl

Postby Richard-B » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:12 am

jpachl wrote:More than a month ago, I offered MR to write a short article on my American TT layout. The pictures shown on my website, I could deliver in high resolution suitable for printing. I'm still waiting for an answer.

Joern

Joern

IMHO... Bill Schaumburg, Editor at RMC (Railroad Model Craftsman) is -much- more likely to take kindly to a photo-essay on your outstanding layout.
You can contact him at <bills@rrmodelcraftsman.com>.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Next

Return to General Discussion