TT in Model Railroader

Re: TT in Model Railroader

Postby Marquette » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:26 pm

I'll second that - write to Bill Schaumburg and talk to him about it - he's a great guy, and expresses interest towards TT scale developments. An article on your layout would be fabulous. MR won't go near it (and the feeling is mutual, I won't go near MR that's newer than 1990).
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:27 pm

One thing that I noticed about this issue is the ad for the MRC Tech 6 power pack, which by the way, is for those who want sound, but do not want to get into DCC.

The ad lists TT scale as one of the scales the Tech 6 can be used for. It listed "HO, N, TT, Z, and other DC scales".

Hey, it's more visibility.....
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:20 pm

I've edited the first post in this thread to include the quote from Model Railroader. Enjoy.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:43 pm

CSD wrote:Folks, I've gotten permission to post the excerpt from Model Railroader (thank you Eric and Neil). Here it is...

"Between O and HO is S scale, at 1:64. And below HO is TT scale, at 1:120 (not shown above). It still has some following in Europe and a few holdouts this side of the Atlantic. It's not hard to understand why: In a more logical world, we probably could have gotten by quite nicely with S and TT alone, but that's not how the cards were played."

An excerpt from "Everything's Relative" on page 98 from the December 2009 Model Railroader by Tony Koester

This should be taken as a great compliment coming from Koester. Tony is super serious about model trains.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jpachl » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:45 pm

Richard-B wrote:
jpachl wrote:IMHO... Bill Schaumburg, Editor at RMC (Railroad Model Craftsman) is -much- more likely to take kindly to a photo-essay on your outstanding layout.
You can contact him at <bills@rrmodelcraftsman.com>.

Thank you very much! I will definitely contact RMC.

Joern
jpachl

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:41 am

I recently picked up the new issue of MR, and the ad on the back (for a sound control equipped transformer), and it listed it as being compatible with HO, N, TT, Z, and all other DC scales.

Definitely nice to see that TT is actually listed and not just one of the "other" scales.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:33 am

Is the ad for a European company?
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:13 am

ConducTTor wrote:Is the ad for a European company?

No, it's for MRC (Model Rectifier Corporation), out of Edison, New Jersey; and it is an ad for their Tech 6 power pack.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:51 am

:thumbup:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConnRiver » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:52 pm

In spring 2010 on the Proto-Layouts yahoo group, TT scale was the subject of some discussion when I asked a few questions related to the scale. Tony Koester made an interesting comment or two in response. (BTW, I mentioned the TT scale list but not TT_Nut because, at the time, I don't believe I knew about this list).

-Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa

-----------------------------------

Aug 8, 2010
Re: Hobby dollars

> In my case, I switched to S scale to model the Illinois Central's Hickman District in the early 1960s. Reason? S Helper had the best SW-1 (the critical model) available in any scale. Add to that the self-imposed discipline of modeling in a "minority scale" and the fact that I can get all kinds of scratchbuilding supplies at the local art store and S scale became a no-brainer. -Rhett Graves <

I was asked to give the after-dinner talk at the National Assoc. of S Gaugers 50th anniversary national convention in Duluth, Minn., a couple of weeks ago. I told them that in a perfect world, we could get by with TT and S, but this isn't that world. I then suggested that S scale's main advantage is that it isn't "plain vanilla" or a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. You don't see the same cars and locos and structures on every layout you visit, mainly because it is a minority scale. I'd celebrate that, pointing out that S scale today has enough variety for almost anyway yet fosters individuality, a sense of accomplishing and "contributing to the literature."

Compare that to modeling, say, Cajon Pass or the Rio Grande Southern. It's going to be very hard to do something that countless others before you haven't done and done and done. To some, that doesn't matter. To others, it does, and in my view that's the market S scale should be seeking rather than trying to say "Hey, we have lots of stuff too." -Tony Koester

April 5, 2010
Re: Being Tom Johnsonized

> TT scale question: I've read something about HO commercial scenery items, such as trees, perhaps being a bit undersized so as not to overwhelm the models. It seems to me, then, that HO scenery items -- electrostatic grass, too? -- will be a fine fit for we few TTers. Anyone here agree or disagree with this thought? <

"HO" scenic materials would be ideal for TT. . . . -Tony Koester

March 4, 2010
TT scale modeling

> Since I work in 1:120 scale (TT . . . yeah, I know), I'm experimenting with track hand-laying methods to speed my way with layout construction. . . . -Brian Chapman <

I think the hobby could have done very well if we had originally "standardized" on TT and S, but that didn't happen.

How's the availability of equipment, structures, and rolling stock in TT these days? I know the scale is popular in Europe, but you're modeling U.S. railroading. -Tony Koester

March 6, 2010
Re: TT scale modeling

> I think the hobby could have done very well if we had originally "standardized" on TT and S, but that didn't happen. <

Tony, which scale would you have chosen had S scale and TT scale been the hobby's chief choices?

> How's the availability of equipment, structures, and rolling stock in TT these days? <

Pathetic, for North American prototypes. Nearly non-existent. There are 109 members of the TT_IMS Yahoo group and far fewer (23) who have joined the dues paying TT_Scale_Society, the purpose of which is to save this species of scale from extinction. From what I can tell, the common denominator that binds together we Society members in common purpose is
the belief that 1:120 scale is the ideal size for our modeling desires. But, maybe, we just need to be different. Maybe we relish quixotic pursuits. (smile)

There is a bit of motion (slow motion, for sure) in direction: A track-and-tie strip system using a jig to aid hand-laying; a variety of freight and passenger rolling stock trucks; a 1st gen diesel locomotive (with NWSL's cooperation in developing a power chassis); fine scale wheel sets. . . . Most all of this is in the talking stage, a bit of it in the design stage.

Among we fanatical few TTers, we have 2D and 3D CAD draftsmen (the latter making 3D printing an option), a CAD-CAM operator of CNC equipment, resin casters (one member owns a spincasting machine that can handle resin or metal and also owns a laser-cutter), and so on.

Our mutual goal, I think, is to save North American TT scale as a builder's scale by updating it using today's best resin reproduction methods before the scale goes the way of the dodo (maybe it has and we just refuse to recognize that it is already gone). . . .

-Brian / Brian Chapman / Evansdale, Iowa

March 6, 2010
Re: TT scale modeling

> Tony, which scale would you have chosen had S scale and TT scale been the hobby's chief choices? <

I probably can't be very objective here, as I was a Lionel guy who didn't much care for Flyer. But that's like Ford and Chevrolet -- lots of heat with little light.

But I did buy some TT stuff when I was a kid, and I still think it is a very viable scale. I'm also in timetable and train-order operations, and you gain "mileage" as the scale gets smaller. -Tony K.
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion