New To TT!! ...and 1:120 scale GP35

New To TT!! ...and 1:120 scale GP35

Postby sd80mac » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Hello Group,

I am primarily a late 70's to mid 90's BN and SP modeler, sprinkled with a bit of CNW (though I do own several post-war streamliners, as well as modern GE and EMD locomotives and freight cars). I also model Amtrak in this time period, but not model anything after Phase III. The F40PH, F40C, SDP40F, SDP45, and GP40P-2 are among my favorite passenger locomotives, and my favorite freight locomoitves are EMD's 60 series, both GPs and SDs. I have a soft spot for EMD four-axle units including most of the switchers, the GP9, GP38-2, GP40/40-2s, GP50, and the ubiquitous GP35 (the main point of this post).

I knew about TT scale/gauge back in the late 80s, but since I was so used to O, HO, and N scales, the two in-between scales/gauges know as S and TT seemed obscure to me. Fast-foward to 2010, and I now see a whole new world of possibilities for TT. To be honest, I've never really considered anything other than HO and N, but for some reason TT is extremely appealing. The models are large enough to add detail to, yet small enough to run in a relatively small area, essentially the best of both HO and N.

I found the TT_Society on Yahoo!Groups, which lead me here. I've been ingesting and digesting TT-based information for the last three days, and have really found a new excitement in the hobby. I am coming to TT with about five years of self-taught solid-modeling experience, and wanted to ask a couple question about potential projects.

Over the past day and a half, Ive been working on a drawing for a 1:120 scale GP35. It's just a rough draft, but I do see much potential. This is a new venture and I am trying to see if I can design the locomotive from the ground up. I have included a picture of the drawing in its infancy to see if there is even any interest in such a project. The method of product will most likely be resin copies of RP masters. The drive will be developed from scratch, and I haven't decided if will will be a split-frame similar to N-scale, or more traditional like current HO production. Any input would be great.

Sincerely,
Donnell Wells
Attachments
TT_GP35.jpg
TT_GP35 rough draft
Last edited by sd80mac on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sd80mac

Re: TT_GP35

Postby areibel » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi Donnell,
Welcome! And it sounds great, we can use any new diesels we can get!
The TT Scale Society is close to getting our own resin shell out, it's a GP38-2 from Mark 4 Design in NZ. I'm really glad you chose the GP35 though, I'm an Erie Lackawanna fan and they had GP35's (but never got GP38-2's).

The chassis was actually the hardest part, trying to find a suitable power truck was a real challenge. Elmer McKay came up with a chassis for the Lionel GP9's that used Tillig parts, they run really well. The wheelbase is off a bit, and the wheel flanges are pretty large compared to an RP-25 but they'll run on Code 70 rail.
Mark (Mark 4) came up with an etch that will use trucks from Hollywood Foundry, the Bull Ants in line style bogies, more infor can be found on his website http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com (Edit- That's Geoff from Hollywood's site, not Marks!)
But a really promising development was the Lok_n_Roll chassis. They started with one for the GP9, these are built similar to an split (N scale) chassis so they have some decent weight.
There are several other projects brewing, so we're moving forward faster than we have in a while- Check out the ConducTTor's TT models through Shapeways, along with a new Gold Coast model in the works and some new American prototype TT that is being developed in Germany- But right now, it's wide open! I really welcome your efforts!
Al
Last edited by areibel on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
areibel

Postby Marquette » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Welcome, Donnell!

The drawing looks good! And, it originating from the mid 1960s, I could happily go for one to get into CP colours!

What a droolworthy thought - the four roads on my 1969 project, without duplication of loco types: Canadian Pacific GP35, BC Hydro SW900, Northern Pacific F-unit ABBA set, Milwaukee U30B and SD45!

I look forward to seeing the progress on this model!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:52 pm

This is good. This is very good. Do it!

And welcome aboard the TT train :wave:

Curious to see what you come up with chassis and drive wise. I'm flirting with a few ideas right now but nothing concrete.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:02 pm

sd80mac wrote:, but for some reason TT is extremely appealing.

(missed this earlier, Sorry!)
Oh oh, you've got it now- you won't be able to escape!
And if I'm not mistaken, aren't you on the D- list? I think I might have seen some pics of your work there?
If I'm right, I'm even happier now!
Al
areibel

Postby Marquette » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:14 am

I've only heard tell about the D-List, but it sounds like something I've long been hoping for might be happening... getting RPM types interested in/involved with TT!
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:17 am

Whatsa D-List?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:37 am

A Yahoo group afaik... The Diesel List
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:39 am

Ah, ok.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby sd80mac » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:40 am

Yeah, I'm on there, but I only post when absolutely necessary. There's a lot more commentary that goes on than modeling (no offense to any other D-List members present). TT just seems right, and another thing is we now have a chance to include all of the things we wanted in HO and N scale, but really couldn't without challenging the status quo. We are at the onset of TT's rebirth, and that make this a golden opportunity to do something new!

I'm thinking scale draft gear, Kadee-style couplers with a "beefier" knuckle OR Sergent-style coupler (though I'm not sure of the practicality in this size). I'm picturing semi-scale wheels on code 55 track detailed with joint bars every 39 feet. Maybe Fast-tracks, or better yet, someone in the US, can have fixtures created to produce hand-laid #6 through #12 turnouts. As I mentioned earlier, there's a world of possibilities!!!

Donnell

PS - Imagine if I showed up at WPM next year with highly detailed 1:120 scale equipment. People would have to do a double-take just to realize what they are seeing!

areibel wrote:
sd80mac wrote:, but for some reason TT is extremely appealing.

(missed this earlier, Sorry!)
Oh oh, you've got it now- you won't be able to escape!
And if I'm not mistaken, aren't you on the D- list? I think I might have seen some pics of your work there?
If I'm right, I'm even happier now!
Al
sd80mac

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models