New To TT!! ...and 1:120 scale GP35

Re: New To TT!! ...and 1:120 scale GP35

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 18, 2011 6:55 pm

sd80mac, any news of progress on this model?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:17 pm

just a bump up as I'd also like to know what if anything has happened with this one ... the artwork looked so nice.

cheers, ben
scaro

Postby sd80mac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Not much has happen since my posts earlier this year. I been kind of waiting to see what innovations might come from the RP world. So far, I'm pretty impressed with the Objet and Projet processes, and I've actually found a couple of firms that can both print in high resolution, and generate urethane castings from those prints. The only thing I am leary of is being able to recreate some of the smallest details that I have included in my drawing.

I have also be rethinking how I have created this locomotive in terms ease of manufacturing. Injection molding would be the most ideal method, but we all know that its the most expensive up front. Soft tooling methods such as resin casting can still be up there in price depending on complexity of the master. i could cast things myself, but then I would have to consume myself with perfecting my casting methods and finding the vesy best of resins and rubbers to use for production, hence my desire to go with someone who already has perfected this process. I have actually, very successfully cast a few resing parts for my HO models, and still may consider doing it myself. I just want to ensure the best quality possible!

I'm thinking of redesigning the walkway and pilot areas to be built from photo-etched parts. It's just a thought, but I'm thinking It might be more cost effective for short-run production, and will have a more consistant yield throughout production. The main shell, including cab, db hatch, nose, and long hood can still be cast in resin, and the two would be joined by some type of indexing system yet to be designed. Other parts that could be included as etchings would be fan grilles, exhaust flange, handrail stanchions, steps (possibly with see-thru holes), windshield wipers, lift rings, and possibly others that I may have missed

Behind the scenes, I have been sourcing motors, as well as developing truck, gearing, and driveline designs. Nothing is concrete yet, but I'm leaning toward a simple hex drive design, patterned after Athearn and Kato HO designs, rather than the split-frame chassis used my most N-scale manufacturers. The frames themselves, I haven't decided if they're going to be die-cast, CNC-cut, etched, or created manually by me. Wheels can be sourced from NWSL, but having them made isn't as much as I thought it woud be.

So there it is, in all it's limbo! The shell design is about 75% complete. All I really need to do with it is fill in a lot of the small details. I have not even considered how to design DCC into the thing, let alone lighting and sound. However, LokSound does make small enough sound decoders that would easily work.

Donnell
sd80mac

Postby scaro » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:06 pm

thank you for this. sounds a pretty encouraging kind of limbo! i think the technology for getting wheels done is slowly getting cheaper and a few people make them for P87, for example.
scaro

Postby MacG » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:02 pm

There are some news about this model?
MacG

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models