New To TT!! ...and 1:120 scale GP35

Re: New To TT!! ...and a possible 1:120 scale GP35

Postby sd80mac » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:56 pm

I have some ideas about wheels and freight cars trucks, but I guess the question is would you rather have needle point axles or rotating bearing caps? I don't know what the costs for and injection molded truck is, but I got a couple of friends that may lend some advice regarding their production.

Donnell

ctxmf74 wrote:
Marquette wrote:The economies of scale allow injection moulded trucks in HO and N to be affordable; those economies of scale don't exist for TT, so they'd probably not be much more affordable than the A&D trucks

Aren't the Gold Coast trucks injection molded? A roller bearing truck with HP or other semi scale wheels sets in the gold coast price range would be acceptable. I don't know how A&D plans to produce those trucks but I doubt they will be near the Gold Coast price ?..........dave
sd80mac

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:29 pm

sd80mac wrote:I have some ideas about wheels and freight cars trucks, but I guess the question is would you rather have needle point axles or rotating bearing caps?

Well ideally some of each. A cheap nice reliable smooth rolling basic truck for the cost conscious or beginner and a more deluxe spinning bearing truck for the more experienced modeler or more detailed cars. If I had to choose I'd take rolling ability and structural reliability over the finer details since this is a pretty small scale. Something equivalent to N scale micro trains trucks with fox valley metal wheels would suit my needs just fine. ...dave
ctxmf74

Postby sd80mac » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:34 pm

I can definitely agree with a reliable, smooth rolling truck. Honestly, the standard truck to accept pointed axle ends seems most practical, and that what my goals are in enetering TT scale. I would like to include as much precision and detail as possible while maintaining practicality.

For example, we discussed couplers. Having a Sergent-style couple would be nice, but it really isn't practical in such a small size. HO is about the limit I'd want to go personally. What I would like to have is a coupler similar to the Kadee, with a wider knuckle. Even if it has the (at times controversial) srpring on the side, a wider (or thicker) knuckle will reduce slack action, and look better.

Donnell

ctxmf74 wrote:
Well ideally some of each. A cheap nice reliable smooth rolling basic truck for the cost conscious or beginner and a more deluxe spinning bearing truck for the more experienced modeler or more detailed cars. If I had to choose I'd take rolling ability and structural reliability over the finer details since this is a pretty small scale. Something equivalent to N scale micro trains trucks with fox valley metal wheels would suit my needs just fine. ...dave
sd80mac

Re: New To TT!! ...and potential 1:120 scale products

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:42 pm

I agree fully with the "standard reliable" direction. My aim in my models is to be as close to an RTR as possible. This allows the "throw it on the rails and go" crowd to enjoy them. The "modelers" will always modify to their heart's content. I'm a bit of both and I think the close to RTR route is the best.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Well, I may have found something that might help: there is a custom plastic model kit maker here in North Dakota, I am going to see what their hours are, and how much getting a model would cost.

ConducTTor, if it would be fine with you, I would like to bring in the gondola I have as an example to see if I can get an estimate.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:08 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:ConducTTor, if it would be fine with you, I would like to bring in the gondola I have as an example to see if I can get an estimate.

No problemo. If the cost vs quality makes sense I have no problem making a change.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:30 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:ConducTTor, if it would be fine with you, I would like to bring in the gondola I have as an example to see if I can get an estimate.

No problemo. If the cost vs quality makes sense I have no problem making a change.

I need to find the hours of the place, and it looks like the next day I would have off during the week and not be filled with exams and other appointments will be in late October. (My schedule is rather busy during the day from 10 in the morning to 11 at night most of the week).

I found out about the place while talking to an HOn3 modeler at work, and since the size is close, it might be possible to get plastic and resin models made relatively quickly by professionals... One can only hope.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:25 pm

Here's another place that looks interesting-
http://www.smokymountainmodelworks.com/ ... strial.pdf
Resin models plus small runs of injection molding, and he's a model railroader too. Maybe an S scaler would be a little sympathetic to the "other" orphan scale?
areibel

Postby sd80mac » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:16 pm

Here's a few shots of some of the roof detail. There are dimples for locating the lift rings, which will eventually be etched, as well as a pair of dimples for the curved grab iron behind the last radiator fan.
Attachments
TT_GP35a.jpg
TT_GP35_roof_a.jpg
TT_GP35_roof_b.jpg
TT_GP35_roof_c.jpg
sd80mac

Postby Marquette » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:57 pm

That's looking very encouraging!! Great work so far!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models