New To TT!! ...and 1:120 scale GP35

Re: New To TT!! ...and a possible 1:120 scale GP35

Postby sd80mac » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:49 pm

Phase 1a1 is what I was thinking as well. And yes, it is the phase that was used by the most roads, including the major Eastern and Western roads.

Molded on detail is fine with me. I also was thinking of adding locating dimples rather than molded-on grabs. Etched parts could include all fan grilles and blades, steps (optional), and handrail stanchions similar to what Kaslo and Gold Medal Models offer. Glazing would likely be laser-cut.

As the drawing stands, the shell is broken down into separate parts much like current model production.

Separate parts include:

cab
number board
body
walkway/sill
dynamic hatch (non-dynamic hatch to follow)

Regarding the walkway/sill, I have not figured a way to address the pilots. Should the be an etched add-on like Railflyer? Or molded to the sill? I wouldn't want them to break during the casting process. If the are molded on, then the step wells will be separate add-on, as well as the coupler buffers.

I am pretty new to the manufacturing game so please forgive the barrage of questions.
Last edited by sd80mac on Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
sd80mac

Postby Marquette » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:17 pm

I'm kinda torn how to answer the pilot question. While personally I'd prefer the etched add-on (it'd make it easier to model road-specific pilots if necessary), but perhaps it would be a good idea to use the most common style of pilot and have that moulded on - it'd be one less thing to do for those who'd prefer to get their unit operational ahead of getting specific-unit accurate.

DEFINITELY PLEASE do use locating dimples for grabs!

And I'd be totally in favour of the other detail parts you mention being etched parts.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:20 am

sd80mac wrote:Hello Group,

I've been ingesting and digesting TT-based information for the last three days, and wanted to ask a couple question about potential projects.

How about starting with some nice molded 100 ton roller bearing trucks with HP size wheels sets to see if you can actually market successfully something in TT? A loco is a pretty big project to invest in without some manufacturing experience. There's about 3 or 4 new diesel projects in various stages already but no ready to roll trucks that I know about? and I'm getting tired of de-flashing and gluing up PVM trucks or trying to find old HP wheels sets....dave
ctxmf74

Postby sd80mac » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 am

The thing about the pilot is finding a practical thickness. Maybe the stepwells and pilot can be cast as one piece and then glued/epoxied to the main sill unit. I could design them as separate parts and use some method of tabbed indexing to align them to the front and rear of the sill. Another "not-fully-thought-out" option would be a completely etched walkway/sill to which you can solder pilots and steps, but then there's the jacking pads and small anticlimber (I told you it wasn't thought out :doh: )

Donnell
Still thinking... :think:

Marquette wrote:I'm kinda torn how to answer the pilot question. While personally I'd prefer the etched add-on (it'd make it easier to model road-specific pilots if necessary), but perhaps it would be a good idea to use the most common style of pilot and have that moulded on - it'd be one less thing to do for those who'd prefer to get their unit operational ahead of getting specific-unit accurate.

DEFINITELY PLEASE do use locating dimples for grabs!

And I'd be totally in favour of the other detail parts you mention being etched parts.
sd80mac

Postby sd80mac » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:35 am

When you say, "molded", do you mean injection molded? Or resin? Also, have you seen this thread?

a-d-pulpwood-flatcar-t840.html?hilit=trucks#p7008

Donnell

ctxmf74 wrote: How about starting with some nice molded 100 ton roller bearing trucks with HP size wheels sets to see if you can actually market successfully something in TT? A loco is a pretty big project to invest in without some manufacturing experience. There's about 3 or 4 new diesel projects in various stages already but no ready to roll trucks that I know about? and I'm getting tired of de-flashing and gluing up PVM trucks or trying to find old HP wheels sets....dave
sd80mac

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:16 am

sd80mac wrote:When you say, "molded", do you mean injection molded? Or resin? Also, have you seen this thread?

Injection molded like common HO or N scale trucks with semi scale wheels sets included.
Yes I've seen that thread but those look like they are more suitable for expensive brass cars instead of daily runner plastic cars, I doubt that I could afford a hundred pair of them? ....dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:37 am

The economies of scale allow injection moulded trucks in HO and N to be affordable; those economies of scale don't exist for TT, so they'd probably not be much more affordable than the A&D trucks - which, btw, I look forward to using; the rolling caps will look great next to cars with friction-bearing trucks!
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:17 am

ctxmf74 wrote:
sd80mac wrote:When you say, "molded", do you mean injection molded? Or resin? Also, have you seen this thread?

Injection molded like common HO or N scale trucks with semi scale wheels sets included.
Yes I've seen that thread but those look like they are more suitable for expensive brass cars instead of daily runner plastic cars, I doubt that I could afford a hundred pair of them? ....dave

Was there a price posted somewhere for those trucks?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:19 am

Alex: not that I saw...
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:28 pm

Marquette wrote:The economies of scale allow injection moulded trucks in HO and N to be affordable; those economies of scale don't exist for TT, so they'd probably not be much more affordable than the A&D trucks

Aren't the Gold Coast trucks injection molded? A roller bearing truck with HP or other semi scale wheels sets in the gold coast price range would be acceptable. I don't know how A&D plans to produce those trucks but I doubt they will be near the Gold Coast price ?..........dave
ctxmf74

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models