TT Free-mo

Re: TT Free-mo

Postby oldtrainguy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:28 pm

The Calgary Fre-Mo guy's have a nice Whole Train Turntable.
Attachments
IMG_2239 small.jpg
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:46 pm

Bill in FtL, you're not too far from me. I'll build a module or two and maybe we meet again some day!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:04 am

Bernd wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Bill in FtL, you're not too far from me. I'll build a module or two and maybe we meet again some day!

You've got a guy north of you be a days travel or so, me. So that makes three of us.

Bernd

:thumbup: :wave:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby oldtrainguy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Have we come to a consensus on the module width?
People have been suggesting sizes from 16” to 24”.
What is the preference?
I personally am leaning towards 20”.
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:24 pm

I don't have a preference.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gerhard_k » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:24 am

Bernd wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Bill in FtL, you're not too far from me. I'll build a module or two and maybe we meet again some day!

You've got a guy north of you be a days travel or so, me. So that makes three of us.

Bernd

And I'm in between, in Annapolis MD - although Rochester seems like a long day's drive North, even from here.
I guess I would have to come through and show up with a module, too, to save face :wink:
Hey, with now 4 people, we might be able to get something going!
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Re: TT Free-mo (Bus Wire Connector Suggestions)

Postby gerhard_k » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:42 am

(Dredging up a topic from page 4 of this thread)
railtwister wrote:I am a big fan of the Anderson PowerPole connectors and much prefer them over the Molex and boat trailer light connectors used by many module groups.
Thanks to the unisex nature of the Anderson PowerPole connectors, our Florida On30 Renegades modular group modules are also intended to be reversible, with no worries about male and female connectors. To make it easy to maintain the rail polarity when a module is put into the layout in a "reversed" position, all modules have a designated "A" side, which is the side that has the red bus wire connected to the rail (the "B" side rail is attached to the black bus wire). To make it easier to spot the "A" side during set up, a red dot (usually a 3/4" Avery label from the office supply store) is placed on both ends of the "A" fascia. When it is time to connect the bus cables together, a quick look at the joints between modules tells you the polarity on the connectors. If there are two red dots showing, the connectors are plugged together red/red, and black/black. If there is only one dot showing at the joint, then the connectors are red/black and black/red.

Bill in FtL

You may in the meantime have realized already: If you look at Bill Dixon's proposed wiring diagram on page 3 of this thread - resources/image/7660 - you can see that, after flipping a module, the wiring connections go together exactly the same way, and thus no marking of the "A" or "B" end of a module is needed. Looks pretty foolproof to me...
gerhard_k

Postby railtwister » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:40 am

Regarding module width, both the 16", 24" or 32" will allow the use of plywood with no waste of material. Usually, module standards recommend "minimums" but usually allow for deviations in special instances, and FreeMo specifically does not state that modules should be regular or symmetrical forms, such as rectangles or squares.

As to wiring and reversing the modules, it's true that the simplest double tracked modules can be reversed without a problem if you use some types of connectors (like a 2 wire trailer plug or CJ connector), but when using the PowerPole connectors and/or single track main lines, it is possible to cross the "+" and "-" bus wires, resulting in a dead short. Color coding eliminates some of the potential confusion, but then the colors must be reversed when the module is flipped. Having the module end marked makes it easier to spot such accidents.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby railtwister » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:11 am

Looking at the drawing again, just for reference, I see that it doesn't actually show how the plugs/wires are connected to the rails, nor does it show more than bus, even on a module with double tracks (most module specs call for a bus for each track). It does show the plugs on either end to be reversed, both in color code as well as position, which on a simple one track module would have each rail connected to a different color wire/plug at either end. Seems to me that this style of color coding would be pretty confusing when you are underneath the module trying to track down a problem...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby gerhard_k » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:56 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:I have always liked the yard in John Armstrong's "Track Planning for Realistic Operation", third edition, figure 9-7 on page 84: Efficient multiple use of trackage in stub terminals.
A shortened yard would fit on two four foot modules but it works better on three modules.
TT Free-Mo Starter Set Yard.jpg

I had thought about making the third module (on the left) the start of a curve but decided against it.
Having three identical modules that with two end plates would pack into a two-foot by two-foot by four-foot block that just fits between the wheel wells of my Dodge Caravan makes an easy to transport set. Making the modules an inch or two shorter would make it fit better. 48" plus end plates and bolts heads is a tight fit!
There is room on the modules for a few additions(red lines), another yard track, a new RH crossover on the left and a LH crossover on the right. The yard and passenger tracks can be a foot longer. Running the two mainline track to the eight edge allows it to be a run through station in a larger set.
The number of tracks crossing the boundary between the center and right hand modules calls out for tracks that run right to the edge of the module. I am tempted to try that there but still use 2' rails on the mainline. That way if anything gets damaged the main lines will still be in service.
This can be built with #6 turnouts but it would be nice if the two new crossovers and the turnouts leading to the passenger station tracks (13, 15 and 19) were #8s.

Bill - I presume you haven't started on this project yet, in any case, I hope you realize that this is a schematic and not a track plan, the turnouts as drawn are about #3.5!!
So if you use #5 (=EW2) turnouts in the yard, the length ratio would go up by about 50%, or for #6's (EW3), by 80%. Specifically, for a #5 turnout and curve back to parallel (to the "clearance point"), it takes about 12 inches for a #5 or 14in for a #6 with 1.5in track spacing; if using the Tillig-standard 43mm (1.7in), it's 13in or 15in, respectively. Then for each additional parallel track or in-line turnout, add 6in (#5) or 7in (#6) for 1.5in spacing, 7in (#5) or 8in (#6) for 43mm spacing. That will eat up length fast!
As an example, I figured that the much simpler station plan in Armstrong's Fig. 2-9 (which I am considering) would barely fit onto 2 4-foot modules, with acceptable track lengths.
It's so easy to be over-optimistic in the early stages of track planning...
gerhard_k

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans