TT Free-mo

Re: TT Free-mo

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 am

railtwister wrote:Interesting idea. I think if I were to build it though, I would use three legs on the larger section, two along the hinge line and one at the middle of the right side (your sketch actually shows 4 on this section).
Bill in FtL

I should have colored the leg sockets. There is one leg set at the extreme left and one on each side of the 30" x 36" section.
railtwister wrote:When set up using my modifications, you would have an irregularly shaped octagon for the end loop, rather than two different sizes of rectangles. Bill in FtL

I am not sure that the reduction in weight will be worth the increase in complexity of building the modules.
My limited woodworking abilities can handle rectangular boxes or trapezoidal modules OK.

One thing that I am worried about is how much space the #6 crossover will take on the module. I may have to reduce the radius of the loop to make them fit OK.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:23 am

ConducTTor wrote:I would make that module utilitarian and add a couple (or more) storage tracks in the middle of the loop. Although, you can still scenic around the tracks.

Whether I add storage tracks will depend on how much space the #6 crossover takes up. I won't know for sure until I have track in hand.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:31 am

So based on my doodles and the size of my van how much TT-Free-mo can I carry?
20140831 TT-Free-Mo End Loop Setup.jpg

This will just fit with no room for a passenger because the passenger seat will be full of equipment boxes.
One problem is the number of legs needed, 18 total; three per end loop, two per four foot module, and one per corner.
They are a bit awkward to carry. Still I could strap a bundle of legs to the roof, I did that once before. I will look into stowing legs inside the four foot modules, that would save space.
As well I am limiting the height inside the van to 36" so I can still see out the back window. There is another 8" of space if I ignore that. Just requires more careful driving.
The van is a bit too old to consider pulling a trailer. That would probably require a new transmission and a trailer. A bit too much $$.

The four foot modules, actually only 47" may be too short to develop an effective station scene. Five or six feet long would be better. That might mean two piece modules. More to think about.

It will be a long time before I get anywhere near this size so I have lots of time to plan and figure out what actually works. I expect to find a more than a few dead ends along the way.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby j p » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:09 am

How about making the loops double track too? It would look more realistic + you'd get one storage track at each end of the line.
You'd not need the crossovers and the transition from the straight line into the loop could be much smoother.
j p

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:16 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:The four foot modules, actually only 47" may be too short to develop an effective station scene. Five or six feet long would be better. That might mean two piece modules. More to think about.

I'm sure in playing "cut-out dolls" with your modules, you have already come up with an option of ganging all the curved modules together, those could make for nice running scenery, and that would then give you (2) 4-foot straight modules together near each end loop, 8 feet is a good length for a modest station scene. Or just do this on one side. Should make for a prettier display. Plus the overall floor space for set-up would be narrower.

I am doodling with including a removable 2-module station scene in my planned layout, which is otherwise fixed, but it's probably too much to expect to join up with you on the other coast. Still, someone in the East may in future build some modules that we might display together.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby CN-TT » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:35 pm

j p wrote:How about making the loops double track too? It would look more realistic + you'd get one storage track at each end of the line.

Or even more tracks! A loop is not realistic at all. So, why not maximize the space for staging? It also means no hight restrictions with the landscaping.
http://www.unsere-rasselbande.net/Model ... MT%202.jpg

Bjoern
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:46 pm

More tracks at the end loop would be nice but right now I am more concerned about getting Something up and running that I will be building and transporting.
If the interest is there then replacing an end loop with a bigger end loop with more tracks can be done in the future.
I would be very happy if someone else took on the task of building an end loop, I could then consider building the yard that I discussed earlier.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:23 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:I would be very happy if someone else took on the task of building an end loop, I could then consider building the yard that I discussed earlier.

I'd be happy to do so....if you weren't 3000 miles away.

Will probably build a module or two though just in case I run across one of the east coasters at some point.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:21 am

CN-TT wrote:
j p wrote:How about making the loops double track too? It would look more realistic + you'd get one storage track at each end of the line.

Or even more tracks! A loop is not realistic at all. So, why not maximize the space for staging? It also means no hight restrictions with the landscaping.
http://www.unsere-rasselbande.net/Model ... MT%202.jpg

Bjoern

San Francisco terminal had a loop and several tracks. The railroad is no more and the terminal is used by buses now.
https://www.google.dk/maps/@37.7880001,-122.3948507,846m/data=!3m1!1e3
j p

Postby railtwister » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:I should have colored the leg sockets. There is one leg set at the extreme left and one on each side of the 30" x 36" section.

OK, I now see what you mean, you are using "legs" that are actually a pair of 2x2's connected with two cross-braces. When I was talking about legs, I was referring to single 2x2's, rather than leg pairs. My most recent modules have seen the 2x2 legs mounted in each corner, and secured with a set screw (actually a 1/4-20 x 2" long eyebolt) & tee nut mounted in the 45 degree corner brace. Very simple, very light, and very easy to store/transport/set-up. I have used paired legs in the past and found them awkward to transport, difficult to make fit properly, and rather wobbly when set up. I can provide some more details of the legs if you want.

Bill Dixon wrote:I am not sure that the reduction in weight will be worth the increase in complexity of building the modules.
My limited woodworking abilities can handle rectangular boxes or trapezoidal modules OK.

One thing that I am worried about is how much space the #6 crossover will take on the module. I may have to reduce the radius of the loop to make them fit OK.

Lopping the 2 corners off the right side of the large module wouldn't be a big deal, and could be done after the basic box is framed out (in fact it might be easier to do it then). The weight savings isn't the big advantage, but not having those 6" corners sticking out may well be, because there's less to bump into. Too bad we're at opposite corners of the continent, otherwise, I'd be tempted to build an end loop with you...

Bill in FtL
Last edited by railtwister on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
railtwister

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans