TT flex track?

Re: TT flex track?

Postby Arseny » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:05 am

j p wrote:I would not recommend EW1.
The largest HP Products' engines do not like "streetcar" turnouts (like EW1)

Yes, yes, you are right - I have HP Mountain and it does not take sharp radiuses.
So I am planning to use it only on the "outer" circle on my layout, without EW1s.

I could not test my HP cars with the EW2 turnouts quickly because they need switching machine.

j p wrote:Regarding changing the wheelsets:
I do not agree with Arseny. HP Products' models have much better wheel profile than any Zeuke or BTTB. Modern European models do not have so huge flanges anymore and can run on Code 60. It is always easier to make the flanges smaller than the other way around.
HP Products' wheels are much more suitable for modern turnouts than Zeuke/BTTB wheels :grin:
The problem is rather with the HP Products' trucks, not the wheelsets. The HP trucks run very well, but they do not look so good. I replaced them with GoldCoast trucks.

I do not try to convince you to use BTTB wheels. :)

But ctxmf74 wanted to use BTTB's locomotive. So he needs suitable tracks. As I understood, it is obligatory, indispensable condition. If so, he is to use Tillig's tracks and turnouts. Maybe EW2 or EW3, not EW1. Ok, maybe Kuehn.
I am sure, in this situation it's better to modify/change wheelsets, not rails.
There are European 7mm wheels available, or maybe it's better to use Gold Coast's ones - at your option.
Arseny

Postby j p » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:47 am

It is possible to make any BTTB locomotive flanges into HP flanges by turning them (=reducing their size)
New wheelsets are not needed (unless you destroy some during turning). It has to be done very carefully.
The BTTB locomotive would run on Code60 (or at least Filigran claims that), so it does not need much turning for Code55.
j p

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:17 pm

"But ctxmf74 wanted to use BTTB's locomotive." I plan to use the BTTB to test my turnout because it's the only TT scale loco I have . I plan to get one of the Saz model switchers if I can build turnouts that can handle my HP cars along with the larger flanged locos. I guess no one has bought one of the Saz model locos yet to run with HP stuff? It's good to hear that the HP cars ran thru the Tillig frogs with no problems on the table top test so maybe I'll be able to make it work. I couldn't find a link to the NEM turnout standards, does anyone know where to read them? Does anyone make smaller flange wheels that will fit the new Saz model switcher? that would solve my problem for sure.......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Arseny » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:I guess no one has bought one of the Saz model locos yet to run with HP stuff?

Why not. I've purchased SW1200 (in SOO Line livery), and I have some HP (or Gandy Dancer?) old cars, so maybe I'll use them with new loco. Some of them are looking good.

pic-022.jpg
pic-024.jpg

ctxmf74 wrote:Does anyone make smaller flange wheels that will fit the new Saz model switcher? that would solve my problem for sure.......DaveB

I do not know about the flanges exactly, but try Modmueller; they offer 7mm wheels for TT:

http://www.modmueller.de/
http://stores.ebay.com/muellerradsatz1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230616922321
http://www.ebay.de/itm/20-TT-Radsatze-b ... 0938624857
Arseny

Postby areibel » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:59 pm

The overall diameter of the flange is .393, the tread is .336 so the flanges are about .029 deep. The width of the flange at the tread is about .026, so they're not excessively thick like the older BTTB style wheels.
The wheels are just pressed onto the axles, the bore looks like 2.8mm if my math is right. I don't know if NWSL has a wheel to that spec, but these ones look good-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-TT-RP25-Rads ... 7b6e455dc0
I don't know what the bore size is to fit the insulators, but maybe one of our German friends might know? They're RP-25, so if you could find a 2.8mm reamer it wouldn't take much. But I've tested mine on our club layout and it performed beautifully over Tillig and Pilz track and turnouts. I didn't pull anything with it (I didn't have the couplers on yet), but I don't see any problem.
areibel

Postby sd80mac » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Getting back to the original question, the two primary solutions I see are using PC ties with individual or laser-cut tie inserts, or laser-cut tie strips with holes or slits cut to facilitate spiking. For spikes, I would recommend Proto87 Stores "scale" or "150% scale" photoetched spikes with code 55 rail. Code 55 rail scales up to about 6 5/8" tall, which makes it just about right for 130# - 136# rail.

Donnell
sd80mac

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:56 pm

Getting closer to a test. I cut out some roadbed for a short straight section and a #6 turnout and glued ties to it last night so maybe I can lay some rails tonight. I'll start by soldering code 55 on there and see how the little BTTB locos runs thru it. I'd still like to hear from anyone using the Krueger TT/TT code 70 flextrack, especially those who have successfully gotten it sent to the USA, because I'm not looking forward to handlaying a complete layout. Turnouts are allright but the rest of the track gets depressing very fast :>) ....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:34 pm

"so the flanges are about .029 deep" Then the loco should run on soldered code 55 track. The code 55 railjoiners extend up about .020 above the rail base so there's approximately .035 of clear rail height for flanges. My little German loco has about .040 flanges so will bump over the joiners but should run ok on the normal track( I 'm hoping) ....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Arseny » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:36 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:I'd still like to hear from anyone using the Krueger TT/TT code 70 flextrack, especially those who have successfully gotten it sent to the USA

Try to contacr Euro Train Hobby:
http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/track-accessories-tt/c251

TT Model = Krueger.
Arseny

Postby TiTan downunder » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:51 am

May I suggest an alternative for flex track. My small European exhibition layout ( 2.1m x .9m ) was built using the Tillig sleeper base and then inserting Railcraft code 83 rail into the sleeperbase. For the curved sections I used a combination of pre-set curved bases as well as the flexi base and the flexi base for the long straight runs. The advantage to using the railcraft rail is the 36" length giving a lot less joins as opposed to the Tillig / Kuehn flexi being only 600mm ( 24" length ).

The next exhibition layout will be built to showcase my American items but, I will use Railcraft code 70 rail in the Tillig sleeperbase. It fits perfectly and will accommodate Tillig, Modmueller & Gold Coast wheelsets.

Ian
TiTan downunder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion