TT find of the day

Re: TT find of the day

Postby j p » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Bernd, have you actually measured the gauge? That could answer your question much better!
My guess: H0n3
It does not look like TT, although some cars and the engine were based on TT models.
The two 19th century hoppers are TT, but lettered for narrow gauge - so I guess the intention was H0 narrow gauge. Lettering may be a fobie, NCNGRR does not have them in their roster. Those hoppers exist also in TT narrow gauge version http://www.ttnut.com/resources/image/7357
The wheels do not look like TT at all. The boxcar is also lettered for narrow gauge.
The engine looks like kitbashed out of Kemtron 0-4-0 dockside.
The hoppers can be returned to TT scale, they need only TT couplers, trucks and paint. I would leave the rest as it is - in H0n3.
If you decide for saving the hoppers and find the correct prototype, please let me know. I'd make decals. I have found some very similar hoppers but not exactly the same. See also http://www.ttnut.com/jp-s-questions-t1697-30.html
j p

Postby areibel » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:42 pm

It's still mostly TT! The locomotive is an easy swap, the hardest thing to find is a running Lindsay motor in one so that's easy! Pull off those goofy couplers and add some MTL or 714's, a couple of TT drivers and you're in business- Good Catch!
areibel

Postby Richard-B » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Bernd wrote:Boy did I get fooled.
Not really...
Kemtron sold the same Dockside in BOTH HOn3 and TT...
The ex-Lindsay, then Kemtron, and later John Harmon Dockside engine -IS- actually TT scale...
which is why the marker lights (HO-size) look so enormous.

Dockside Kemtron_Cat1-p27.jpg
Kemtron Dockside

Just take a scale rule and see if the engine itself is actually TT-Scale...
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Arseny » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:25 am

It seems to me that locomotive is TT nevertheless.
Kemtron's 0-4-0 "Tiny Tim":
kemtron-tiny-tim-0-4-0-t336.html

Nice cars!
Arseny

Postby gerhard_k » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:53 am

Bernd wrote:
Arseny wrote:
Nice cars!

It sure looks like that is what it is, except for the gauge.

Cars aren't too bad. I think the guy got carried away with the tube of glue on some parts though. I'll have to see if they are worth the time to make something decent out of them.

That brings up a question that occurred to me when Bill Laidlaw sells his car sides as "TT or HOn3", and might help Bernd decide about these cars - and of course I could do the dimension-checking myself, but I'm sure others have done this already :whistle: :
How close is a, say, D&RGW HOn3 box or stock car body in dimensions to a TT body? It would of course just be a foobie, and things like grab irons and other details may be oversize, but it might be useable as a background/just-running-trains model. Then again, there aren't many affordable r-t-r HOn3 models on the market either...
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby areibel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:37 am

Bernd wrote:
It sure looks like that is what it is, except for the gauge.

If you've ever seen Kemtron's HOn3 little switcher (a Plymouth, I think?), it has the same chassis and drivers, only with a shorter axle for the narrower gauge. I can't tell if they actually did any surgery on the cab, or if they just added "improvements"? I've got TT axles for it if you need them, and I probably have a shell if that's cut up. The motor is the hard part, that's why you see them complete except for the motor going for $30 on Ebay.
And the cars, if you don't want to do HOn3 just put them up on an auction. I bought a box lot on Ebay several years ago that was a mix of TT and HOn3, I sorted it out and listed the regular HOn3 and got more for that lot than I paid for the mixed lot.
Gotta love getting stuff for free!
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:16 am

Richard-B wrote:
Bernd wrote:Boy did I get fooled.
Not really...
Kemtron sold the same Dockside in BOTH HOn3 and TT...
The ex-Lindsay, then Kemtron, and later John Harmon Dockside engine -IS- actually TT scale...
which is why the marker lights (HO-size) look so enormous.

Dockside Kemtron_Cat1-p27.jpg

Just take a scale rule and see if the engine itself is actually TT-Scale...

That would explain a lot for me.

One of my Docksiders (the one I have been calling "Lindsey", as part of my photogenic TTraveling fleet), does not sit well on 12mm track.

The motor works just fine, but I do not have any HOn3 track, nor do I want to branch off into that at this time (I deal with enough scales/gauges as it is...). I always thought that somebody messed the axles up on it.

That said, does anyone have any recommendations as how to best regauge a HOn3 docksider to 12mm?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby j p » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:06 am

Bernd, the wheels are not the same, you need new wheelsets, not only axles. You don't need to do any changes to the crank rod drives, they look the same as TT. TT wheelsets have broader gauge than H0n3, but TT wheels are thinner than H0.
The easiest would be to buy a new Kemtron 0-4-0 (without motor) from John Harmon.
j p

Postby areibel » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:28 am

j p wrote:Bernd, the wheels are not the same, you need new wheelsets, not only axles. You don't need to do any changes to the crank rod drives, they look the same as TT. TT wheelsets have broader gauge than H0n3, but TT wheels are thinner than H0.
The easiest would be to buy a new Kemtron 0-4-0 (without motor) from John Harmon.

??
The drivers are the same, it's just the HOn3 axle is .060 shorter than the TT one. I don't know why you'd need to buy new wheelsets?
And if it were me, I'd just try to slide each side out .030 or so and use a dab of epoxy or Locktite to secure them. As long as you can keep them in quarter when you move them they should work great.
areibel

Postby j p » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:25 pm

areibel wrote:
j p wrote:Bernd, the wheels are not the same, you need new wheelsets, not only axles. You don't need to do any changes to the crank rod drives, they look the same as TT. TT wheelsets have broader gauge than H0n3, but TT wheels are thinner than H0.

??
The drivers are the same, it's just the HOn3 axle is .060 shorter than the TT one. I don't know why you'd need to buy new wheelsets?
And if it were me, I'd just try to slide each side out .030 or so and use a dab of epoxy or Locktite to secure them. As long as you can keep them in quarter when you move them they should work great.

Why? Because they are not the same. H0 wheel is wider than TT wheel.
I measured the TT wheels and their width is 2.25 mm, or 0.088".
Anyway, I forgot that Bernd has a well equipped workshop, he can turn the wheels.
0_4_0_side.jpg

0_4_0_bottom.jpg
j p

Next

Return to General Discussion