TT curved track and derailing of locomotive

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

TT curved track and derailing of locomotive

Postby alexsmith17131 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:26 pm

Next newbie question.
The starter set curved track sections are about 12.5 inches radius.
I can’t figure out from the vendors what larger radius curved track is available.
My immediate issue is that I also purchased a steam locomotive engine, Roco BR 18 201 [36025]. There are the front and back wheels that pivot; and three large wheels in-between, under the locomotive body, that do not pivot. I don’t know how else to describe them.
When I run the locomotive, it derails on the curve – the turning radius, I guess, is too small. So I need a larger radius track. But even with a larger radius, on inspection it seems to me that the engine would derail on any curve. Undoubtably an incorrect conclusion, but that’s how it looks to me.
The solution might be flexible track for a very gentle curve. Is TT flexible track available for purchase somewhere?
alexsmith17131

Re: TT curved track and derailing of locomotive

Postby krokodil » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:24 pm

There must be something wrong on your tracks or locomotive. I have several BR18 engines and I use also 310 mm radius (12,5 inch) as many turnouts do, and there is no problem with the BR18.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby dileTTante » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Look at the driver wheels of the locomotive from the bottom, and check to see whether the flange of the driver has caught on the electrical pick-up strip of metal. That prevents the wheel from moving side to side. I had the same problem. The locomotive should run well after that is fixed.
-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby alexsmith17131 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Thank you. I really don't know what I did, but anyway, the problem seems to have fixed itself.
alexsmith17131

Return to TT Scale Models