TT chassis for conversion

Re: TT chassis for conversion

Postby HVT » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:53 am

Bernd wrote: :thumbup: I'll be watching with high interest.

Bernd

P.S. BTW, welcome to TT club.

Thanks Bernd. And a Happy Belated Birthday wish. BTW I always enjoy your projects as posted on MRH, you are a very skilled craftsman.
HVT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:55 pm

HVT wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote: If you need advice on restoring one, please let me know, I have brought 3 of them "back from the dead" thus far.

Thanks for the offer. Is the motor generally salvageable or do they need to be remotored?

I have not failed thus far at restoring a Tri-Ang 0-6-0, the main area of concern is the pickups, they are not necessarily the best out there, the motor itself is hard to get parts for, as the chassis literally is part of the motor assembly, and remotoring is hard, but not impossible.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:47 pm

HVT wrote:
Bernd wrote: :thumbup: I'll be watching with high interest.

Bernd

P.S. BTW, welcome to TT club.

Thanks Bernd. And a Happy Belated Birthday wish. BTW I always enjoy your projects as posted on MRH, you are a very skilled craftsman.

Thanks. Much appreciated. Flattery will get you anything you want. :lol:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby HVT » Tue May 17, 2016 9:26 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:
HVT wrote:FYI I have purchased a Tri-Ang 0-6-0 loco and am awaiting the shipment. I will be posting pictures of the project.

If you need advice on restoring one, please let me know, I have brought 3 of them "back from the dead" thus far.

AstroGoat (and other knowledgeable TT modelers)

I will take you up on the offer for advice. Today I ran the Tri-Ang T90 loco on a length of flex track using a Tomix N-scale power supply and an RRAmpMeter with the following results:
3.8 v .25 amp – very slow, smooth, quiet, both directions
5.2 v .35 amp – slow, smooth, quiet, both directions
7.3 v .42 amp – moderately fast, smooth in reverse, often growls about each wheel revolution going forward

The driven gear shows a bit of wear on the face of the gear but not visible looking at the edge of the tooth thru the Optivisor.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Dave

PS Concerning the conversion the T90 is a bit too long for the Ertl body, but the Thomas face fits nicely on the front of the loco. I picked up a couple of wagons as well and the frames are being modified to fit under the Ertl Annie and Clarabel bodies.
HVT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:21 pm

HVT wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote: If you need advice on restoring one, please let me know, I have brought 3 of them "back from the dead" thus far.

Thanks for the offer. Is the motor generally salvageable or do they need to be remotored?

Generally the motor on the Tri-Angs are salvageagble.If salvage is not feasible, re-motoring will be a bit of trial-and-error, as the motor is, well, different as the chassis forms part of the motor frame.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to General Discussion