TT Car Weight "Standards"

Re: TT Car Weight "Standards"

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:31 pm

WillYart wrote:Like the operational results.

Can you expound on that? For me the main advantage (I haven't done a test) to adding weight is less rocking of the cars as they roll along.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby WillYart » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:32 am

Huh. Maybe I'm just saying that because 20 years ago I ran my trains way too fast (I was just a kid) and my track work left something to be desired. My heavier cars jumped the tracks less often. I think heavier cars are more tolerant of adverse conditions. Also I have a feeling they push the loco past bad spots on switches and stuff if the tracks are oxidized or corroded.

EDIT *(more momentum)*
WillYart

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:32 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
WillYart wrote:Like the operational results.

Can you expound on that? For me the main advantage (I haven't done a test) to adding weight is less rocking of the cars as they roll along.

If you actually *operate* your trains, rather than just run them around in circles :whistle: higher weight has several advantages:

1) Coupling the cars, the force needed to engage the couplers will tend to push the cars down the track, heavier cars will be smoother to couple.
2) Manually un-coupling the cars, with some rod or pick (assuming Kadee couplers), heavier cars are less likely to be derailed by the force exerted on the coupler - this is really obvious if you ever operate US-style on an N-gauge layout, it's just too often that I de-rail a freight car there.
3) as Alex said, heavier cars are less likely to bobble down the track - smoother rolling looks better.
4) if you run very long trains, having underweight cars up front near the locomotive may cause "string-lining", that is, on long sharp curves, the train may fall over towards the inside of the curve. This can also be made worse if the engine is not running smoothly, as jerky traction will pull trains over.
4a) this is also a good argument against using too much (or any?) super-elevation on the track - trains leaning into curves look sexy, but not if they topple over to the inside of the curve :roll:

As discussed previously in this thread, I plan to use the NMRA recommendations for consistency, even though, compared to the other scales, they may seem somewhat heavy for TT.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby WillYart » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:12 pm

Since weights are placed below the vertical center of a car, I'd assume they lower the center of gravity which seems like a good thing in the case of superelevation
WillYart

Postby taoskid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:37 pm

My experience in TT is TT weight standards are too light. I have trouble with anything over 45 foot cars staying on 18 radius track. Built a craftsman 50 foot box car as per NMRA weight. I have revised my weight standards up by a 1/4 oz starting weight. NMRA standards worked great in HO. A 50 ft car in HO is 4 oz. That is a 70 ft car in TT and the TT weight is aprox 3.3 oz, almost 3/4 oz less and the TT car has a narrower gauge by at least 4mm. So I would think the center of gravity would by different. I model modern, so the long cars on 18 radius could also be a factor. Theorectically it should all work out, but heavier seems better for me. I did increase the weight in HO as well and that helped. I also model Hon3, which has the same weights as TT. Those standards worked great, on my own layout as well as club situations. But Hon3 cars are mostly under 5 and 1/2 inches and low slung, so there was not a problem. A 30ft Hon3 box car is wider and lower than a 40 foot TT car. Should TT standards be the same as Hon3?
taoskid

Postby RodTT » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:06 am

Aside from the question how much weight, where do people actually put their weights on the Zeuke tank cars? Of the ones I have, these are the cars that need it most.
RodTT

Postby MacG » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:26 am

I have only problems on small radius track with cars that weights that are far from reaching the standards, like MTB tank and hopper cars. Most of my cars are under the standard weight.

Perhaps do you have too long and/or too heavy trains? I let run at smaller radii (<18") the trains with 2m or 7ft length.

@RodTT: I haven't tried yet, but there is a hole underneath in which you could fill a resin with small lead balls. Then close the hole and put the tank car upright. I have a fill height of one third to half in mind.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby krokodil » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:57 am

WillYart wrote:Since weights are placed below the vertical center of a car, I'd assume they lower the center of gravity which seems like a good thing in the case of superelevation

I would not recommend any superelevation, the models are not running that fast that the superelevation shall compensate the centrifugal forces. In models we have another challenge; in tight curves the cars tend to fall into the circle ie a superelevation will increase this danger.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

TT Car Weight "Standards"

Postby CFRiad » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:45 am

gerhard_k wrote:If you actually *operate* your trains, rather than just run them around in circles :whistle: higher weight has several advantages:
1)
2)
3)
4)
4a)

You are spot on, Gerhard.

I operate on one of my friend's layout. He models 1930's North American steam era in HO with TT&TO operation. In five years I did not have to touch any piece of rolling stock. Everything runs perfectly, never a derailment. He uses Kadee Magnematic couplers with delayed uncoupling. No skewers or toothpicks.

When I asked him what the secret is for the smooth running, second after the perfect trackwork he mentioned car weights. He runs only brass locos and all his cars adhere to the NMRA RP. That's my empirical observation regarding the importance of car weights.

Recently I weighted my BTTB YB70 passenger cars to NMRA standards and they ran perfectly in SLC (I used steel BBs glued with FoamTack. So now I am slowly adding weights to all my cars, European and North American. Tank cars are a problem though.
CFRiad

Previous

Return to General Discussion