TT Bone Valley (Florida) U15 phosphate hopper

TT Bone Valley (Florida) U15 phosphate hopper

Postby scaro » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:45 pm

this is the best i can do by way of photographing this wagon, which along with two other phosphate hoppers, is offered by bone valley models on shapeways. i have not seen a shapeways model this good and aside from a light sanding, a brake wheel, paint job and pair of trucks, it's ready to go.
DSC01127.JPG
DSC01131.JPG
scaro

Re: TT Bone Valley (Florida) U15 phosphate hopper

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:18 am

Have you measured if coupler and truck mounting points are the correct height by chance?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:51 am

what would correct be in this instance?

sorry, i don't know much about 'standard' TT.
scaro

Postby j p » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:30 am

It would be "nice to know".
It is not a big deal if those two measures are wrong. Both of them are easy to adjust.
j p

Postby scaro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:20 pm

yeah, fair enough. an issue too, that i didn't think of. since these hoppers are upsized from N, they don't have specific provision for body mounting of couplers, as in N the coupler is typically truck mounted. that said, there is space for a coupler. however, if the coupler needed to be raised in position, it might be an issue as you'd have to cut away a thin horizontal piece that two of the end posts connect to, and those end posts are all rather delicate.

let me stick an assembled MT coupler on the end and measure. that's if i can find one. i'm not a fan of MT couplers and may use one of the types developed by the 3mm Society which seem altogther simpler and less fiddly.
scaro

Postby j p » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:03 pm

scaro wrote:yeah, fair enough. an issue too, that i didn't think of. since these hoppers are upsized from N, they don't have specific provision for body mounting of couplers, as in N the coupler is typically truck mounted. that said, there is space for a coupler. however, if the coupler needed to be raised in position, it might be an issue as you'd have to cut away a thin horizontal piece that two of the end posts connect to, and those end posts are all rather delicate.

let me stick an assembled MT coupler on the end and measure. that's if i can find one. i'm not a fan of MT couplers and may use one of the types developed by the 3mm Society which seem altogther simpler and less fiddly.

If the coupler has to be raised in position, you just add washer(s) between the truck and the bolster :)
j p

Postby scaro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:32 am

he's going to do the U8 and U12 next:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/667265/u ... Box-search

not sure if this style is appropriate for more roads than just the ACL and SAL. i've seen one image of an overland HO model in wabash colours.
scaro

Postby j p » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:31 am

scaro wrote:he's going to do the U8 and U12 next:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/667265/u ... Box-search

not sure if this style is appropriate for more roads than just the ACL and SAL. i've seen one image of an overland HO model in wabash colours.

Some contant to his N-scale customers would help a lot.
1. for alternative paint schemes - they have probably searched for more roads already.
2. for artwork (or decals)
j p

Postby MacG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 am

Here some pictures from mine. A really nice and stable model, because of the geometry of the side walls.

I think the right trucks for it would be the trucks from Art&Detail for the pulpwood car. An etched metal could be make for the high floors at the ends of the car.

Decals would also nice ;)
Attachments
U15_Hopper_1.jpg
U15_Hopper_2.jpg
U15_Hopper_3.jpg
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models