TT available

TT available

Postby Islanderh93 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:01 am

Hello, my name is Harrison, I'm from Long Island and I have a bit of a predicament.
My good friend Ed Hermans has a tt scale railroad in his basement and we're not sure what to do with it. Ed is about to move to an assisted living home because he lives alone, and the layout must leave the basement before he does. The question is what to do with it.

This link will take you to a website which features only 2 photos of the layout, but I have many more than that.
http://www.ttscale.com/Frame-top.html
On the LAYOUTS tab to the left, select BEDFORD AND EASTPORT.

The Bedford and Eastport is a medium sized layout with the capacity to run multiple trains at once. Currently Ed has 6 HP locomotives that run this system, which actually comprises 3 railroad companies. It has 7 passenger stations named for Ed's children and family, composing a typical class 2 railroad of the Appilachian mountains. It has elements of the New York Ontario & Western, the Deleware and Ulster, and the coal hauling railroads of Pennsylvania that met in Jersey City.

The Bedford and Eastport is a fine system, but it needs a new home to avoid the fate of the above mentioned railroads. Is anyone interested in a railroad? Whomever wants it would need to come help us get it out of the basement, and be able to take it before Christmas, I think. Price is not my issue, that is Ed's choice, I'm just helping him advertise.

I will post another set of entries to describe the layout. If I did't already have HO, I would take it instantly. I might take it if noone else does.

--Edit by mod--
Here is the exact link to the layout: http://www.ttscale.com/layouts/eh/Bedfo ... rt_RR.html
Islanderh93

Re: TT available

Postby Islanderh93 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:07 am

The B&E described for you, pictures to come when I figure out how to post them.

The Lehigh Valley interchanges at a junction to the Bedford and Eastport. I don't have the name of the Junction, so I call it "Bedford". Bedford is a division point of the Lehigh Valley, where it splits into 2 lines that meet at a wye. Beside teh junction is the runaround for the Bedford and Eastport, who uses this as a terminal for passengers, interchange for freight, and the LV wye is used to turn their locomotives. There are 3 industries, a lumber yard on the LV main, and a cattle complex (dairy and stock yard) on the BE main.

Climbing out of 'Bedford' the line passes through a tunnel to the next town (name unclear to me). There is a passing siding, a wood platform and an oil distributor here. Though the line is 10-20 feet from Bedford, the station is physically 9" away! Still looks cool.

Moving along, the grade levels out. A city is entered called Clairmont, named for Ed's late wife. There is a platform here, but trians stay shortly to clear the 1 track main. A spur adjacent to the depot delivers REA shipments to the city freight station. Engineers must be weary of the trolley crossing near the station, though the trolley line is yet unfinished (track+trolley+wires exist, but not electrically powered yet). Out of the city, is another tunnel.

On the rear side of teh city, after the tunnel, is a coal spur to the coal depot. There once was an interchange to the trolley barn next door, but the trolley line decided to opt out of freight.
Islanderh93

Postby Islanderh93 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:18 am

Moving along, the train makes a long, uneventful trip accross the layout, then comes the fun. In order to span a valley, two woodend trestles were built, reducing the speed limit to 20 passenger/ 10 freight. Between the two trestles is a whistlestop called Walton. Villagers in Walton wanted a station, so they got once, in an old shanty. The ledge is only coach long, so passengers are careful. Onward, the third tunnel.

The next station is a junction to the coal branch, built as a seperate company, but soon bought out by the B&E. There is a siding to assemble branch line trains, and a small industry.
Taking the branch line, (backwards from our former direction) we carve through a steep cut into the mining town. There is a station for the miners, and a small depot for freight. There are 3 tracks: the station, the siding, and an escape track of short length. All lead to the turntable, because engines can't run downhill in reverse safely. The mine feeds the first two tracks with coal, which powers the cities in this region.
back to junction
Moving along the main, we cross the table and pass through tunnel 4 into the city of Eastport. There is a passenger terminal, a 4 track yard, industrial district, engines services and a 2 track carfloat. The roundhouse is 3 track with full services, with an adjacent carshop, freight depot and RIP track. An 0-4-0T works the float with it's reach car, while an 0-6-0 runs the yards.
Islanderh93

Postby Islanderh93 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:27 am

I love the B&E, and I'm sure you would too.
YOu can run point to point, from Bedford to Eastport, transfering cars from the Lehigh Valley to the carfloat. You can set one engine running, then use the electric switch boards to navigate a second train past the first. When mainlining is not enough, a branch coal manifest can travel to the mines. Wayfreights can run the industries, while passing the morning milk train. The Lehigh Main's loop to loop could allow trains to connect to "faraway". You can run point to point, loop to point, switching and wayfreight. WIth TLC, all major aspects of railroading can be made to run.

If operations get tiresome, Ed has another innovation: bent reality. Eastport is supposed to be the end of the line. The double ended yard has a lead that goes right back to Bedford Jct. If you want, you can run trains in a continuos loop!

On top of all that, there's the trolley line!. Once finished, the trolley will loop the city, merge to cross the BE main, and take a narrow loop in the Clairmont Fairground. The switches are autosprung, so the trolley would just keep going loop to loop, no electronics required! Electronics of course, could make a trolley that would stop periodically.

If this was in my scale, this would have been everything I could ever ask for in model railroading. I intend to build an HO replica, because the track plan is that brillinat. If you're a TTer in the northeast looking for a railroad, this 30's era system is the layout for you!
Islanderh93

Postby Islanderh93 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:28 am

To contact me:

hgb1of4@aol.com please leave message as "Bedford and EAstport", because I get alot of mail.
Islanderh93

Postby Islanderh93 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:37 pm

Feel free to contact me at any time. I currently can't figure out how to follow instructions on posting pictures, and have uncessesfully tried to post more B&E photos on other web sites. I've only got until the end of this month to find the layout a new home, so please help me by allowing me to help you!
Islanderh93

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:37 pm

If I had the ability to move the layout to North Dakota, I would. Is the trolley for sale?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Islanderh93 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:44 pm

Are serious about moving the B&E to North Dakota? If you came over in a ryder truck, we would be more than happy to help you get the layout on its way. I am too young to drive, so I can't bring the layout to you.

Ed and I would rather see the layout go to one person, but yes I could get you just the trolley. By trolley, do you mean the trolley car, or the trolley line? The trolley line is built into the layout itself, and I can't see any practical way to give that away.

The trolley currently is an unfinished proeject, and I don't think it would work without completion. There is a whole drawer of parts I need to sort through, because I know there was more than one trolley car in there.
Islanderh93

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:55 am

I wish I could afford to do the move now, although I do need to go back to connecticut to get my truck, that will not happen until next spring at the soonest.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Arseny » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:04 am

If wou some superfluous steam locomotives, maybe I'll buy one or two.
Arseny

Next

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade