TT at my place

Re: TT at my place

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:03 am

MaTT wrote: My thoughts were that the drive that Alex is creating might benefit from having the gear towers done in a stronger resin of the type that was used in the Possum Valley drive kits for the Lionel and SW-1200 kits.

My thoughts as well :thumbup:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:40 am

MaTT wrote:Arseny, the cab is not fixed yet and it has suffered a bit in being shipped from the UK, but that loco is unique in that it was one of the factory-built sales demonstration locos that were sent to the UK in the 1950s. John Fisher, the true guru of TT, sold it to me several years ago. It runs well, but needs some cosmetic rehabilitation.

Memorial locomotive? :) It needs a pedestal. :)

I have some old HP locomotives, and 1 or 2 had the cabins broken away too...

MaTT wrote:I did want to say that (a) Alex is doing some phenomenal work with the U-30B project. I had never seen the 3D-printing parts before so it was fascinating to actually look at the detail and what can be done. The surface detail standards are not even close to good resin castings, but the ease of creating complex shapes makes drive design much easier than using fabricated metal components.

I have the same opinion!
Maybe the surfaces are more rough than resin or plastic ones, but it's better than nothing!
Due to this technology we have 4 new wagons (and I hope - new locomotive); we could not get it in plastic or resin so fast!
And it's a good opportunity to produce more and more new wagons and locomotives, even if you need only 1!

BTW some Russian friends told me about some "photopolymer" material for the 3D-printing. Maybe it would be better:
http://vkontakte.ru/photo-5592422_26355 ... _263557590
http://vkontakte.ru/photo-5592422_26355 ... _263557592

Maybe in future we shall buy railway or auto models on the CD- or DVD-disks, like software or music; or maybe even download it via Internet... "Print it by your 3D-printer and put it on your layout!" "Download new ALCO RS-1 model now!" :)
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:22 am

Arseny wrote:BTW some Russian friends told me about some "photopolymer" material for the 3D-printing. Maybe it would be better

Well, there are many options for material and machines - it's all about cost. For example, one of the cars from Shapeways is roughly $20. It can easily be produced with super fine detail and smooth surface. For $150.
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:57 pm

arseny, the cab is not fixed yet and it has suffered a bit in being shipped from the UK, but that loco is unique in that it was one of the factory-built sales demonstration locos that were sent to the UK in the 1950s. John Fisher, the true guru of TT, sold it to me several years ago. It runs well, but needs some cosmetic rehabilitation.

Matt if that loco is Johns old Mikado then that is the thing that got me hooked on American TT all those years ago. The last time I saw that loco was on a restaurant table in Greenwich when my kid daughter was about five. If nothing else the TT has at least history behind it.
richardedmonds

Postby Arseny » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:16 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Well, there are many options for material and machines - it's all about cost. For example, one of the cars from Shapeways is roughly $20. It can easily be produced with super fine detail and smooth surface. For $150.

But I am sure the prices will fall down soon.
Remember, not so long ago the 3D-printer was something unimaginable, with the astronomical price...
Arseny

Postby MacG » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:47 pm

The price is today even astronomical, when you will buy one with minimal layer thickness.

Nice pics of many models. I have forgotten to make a pic at the exhibition from the painted und rolling SD45 from Lok-n-Roll.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:52 pm

MacG wrote:I have forgotten to make a pic at the exhibition from the painted und rolling SD45 from Lok-n-Roll.

I'd love to see pics of that. Does anyone have any?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:59 pm

MacG wrote:I have forgotten to make a pic at the exhibition from the painted und rolling SD45 from Lok-n-Roll.

Was it built from the Norkin's kit or not?
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Arseny wrote:

Was it built from the Norkin's kit or not?

I assume it was Norkin's with a Lok-n-Roll chassis?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Robert22 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:10 am

Looks like fun! :thumbup:
Robert22

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion