TT A Fine Gauge

Re: TT A Fine Gauge

Postby Arseny » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:06 pm

BTW do you know that TT Empire is looking for a new Editor/Publisher ?
Maybe somebody want to try?..
Arseny

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Arseny wrote:BTW do you know that TT Empire is looking for a new Editor/Publisher ?

No, I did not know that. I have no experience with publishing, but I do have some editorial experience, and too much time on my hands.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Petercat » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:22 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:
Arseny wrote:BTW do you know that TT Empire is looking for a new Editor/Publisher ?

No, I did not know that. I have no experience with publishing, but I do have some editorial experience, and too much time on my hands.

Go for it! You might get rich, editing a magazine for TT models! (heh-heh)
"It's Peter, not Pete. Pete sounds like a bird fart.
Petercat

Postby dileTTante » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:22 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:Speaking of the old slogan "TT a fine gauge", who owns that?

I am contemplating setting up a booth the only hobby show in North Dakota next month, and if I do that, I will setup a basic oval with some of my "home" fleet, and would like to make some of those tri-panel displays with pictures of TT stuff, and I was wondering who I should talk to about using the slogan and image.

I'm not sure what 'tri-panel display' is, however we have been handing out a brochure which is printed on standard 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper and folds into thirds. Whether or not this is what is meant, it is a useful handout about TT. The PDF which I got from Bill Dixon uses the logo which says 'a fine gauge'. I can provide the PDF as is but it would be better coming from Bill who I think has the original document and can make changes.
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:35 am

dileTTante wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:Speaking of the old slogan "TT a fine gauge", who owns that?

I am contemplating setting up a booth the only hobby show in North Dakota next month, and if I do that, I will setup a basic oval with some of my "home" fleet, and would like to make some of those tri-panel displays with pictures of TT stuff, and I was wondering who I should talk to about using the slogan and image.

I'm not sure what 'tri-panel display' is, however we have been handing out a brochure which is printed on standard 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper and folds into thirds. Whether or not this is what is meant, it is a useful handout about TT. The PDF which I got from Bill Dixon uses the logo which says 'a fine gauge'. I can provide the PDF as is but it would be better coming from Bill who I think has the original document and can make changes.

I think I will change the logo on the handout to 'A Fine Scale'.
Any other suggestions for improvements are welcome.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:53 am

dileTTante wrote:I'm not sure what 'tri-panel display' is, however we have been handing out a brochure which is printed on standard 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper and folds into thirds. Whether or not this is what is meant, it is a useful handout about TT.

This is what I am referring to. This is the old display from when we had our own booth at the Greenwich, CT fall model train show.Image

We have the pamphlets that we made that all we need to do is to print and fold more of them.
AstroGoat760

Postby scaro » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:07 am

Marquette wrote:Well, yes. But it seems to me that back then, there was little distinction made between "scale" and "gauge".

Similarly in German, BTTB used the slogan "Die ideale Spur" - "The Ideal Gauge", like in English, failing to make the important distinction.

in that era, the issue was the gauge since what they were trying to do was come up with something that would assemble into a train set in the smallest space, and this depended on curves, and curves depended on gauge.

and electric motors were big and affected the ability to use smaller gauges. so gauge, in this case 12mm, was their concern.

right from the word go, as far as scale went, 'TT' could mean anything from 1:100 (early UK or Triaing) to 1:110 (Wesa) to 1:120 (everything else), depending in part on whether you were in the UK or somewhere where trains were a more normal size.

so it was for trains of about 'this' size that would run on track of 12mm. as near as i can work out, anyway.
scaro

Postby j p » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:20 am

scaro wrote:
Marquette wrote:Well, yes. But it seems to me that back then, there was little distinction made between "scale" and "gauge".

Similarly in German, BTTB used the slogan "Die ideale Spur" - "The Ideal Gauge", like in English, failing to make the important distinction.

in that era, the issue was the gauge since what they were trying to do was come up with something that would assemble into a train set in the smallest space, and this depended on curves, and curves depended on gauge.

and electric motors were big and affected the ability to use smaller gauges. so gauge, in this case 12mm, was their concern.

right from the word go, as far as scale went, 'TT' could mean anything from 1:100 (early UK or Triaing) to 1:110 (Wesa) to 1:120 (everything else), depending in part on whether you were in the UK or somewhere where trains were a more normal size.

so it was for trains of about 'this' size that would run on track of 12mm. as near as i can work out, anyway.

Smaller motors were also available and smaller gauge too - the original Swedish Micro Trains, 1:152 scale (H00), 10 mm gauge. Carl Nordstrand started his Micro Trains in 1944 or 1945 and focused mainly on NA prototypes. The export possibilities were somehow limited because of the war. See Model Railroader, March 1956 issue or Model Craftsman, September 1947 issue.
j p

Postby scaro » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:38 am

did H00 run reliably though?

i think that may have been the issue with all small motors i've heard of from back then ... lone star, etc. they were far more erratic and not up to the standard of reliability you'd need for a child's train set. many of the 2mm modellers in the UK made their own motors for this reason.
scaro

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:48 am

j p wrote:Smaller motors were also available and smaller gauge too - the original Swedish Micro Trains, 1:152 scale (H00), 10 mm gauge. Carl Nordstrand started his Micro Trains in 1944 or 1945 and focused mainly on NA prototypes. The export possibilities were somehow limited because of the war. See Model Railroader, March 1956 issue or Model Craftsman, September 1947 issue.

Just because the smaller motors were available, did not mean that they were commercially feasible. In general, smaller motors that have as much power as larger ones tend to be up there in price, which would raise the cost of production and reduce the number of units sold (as well as make it hard to compete).
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion