Trucks...

Trucks...

Postby Marquette » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:21 am

Found today Grandt Line part number 5145 - Andrews trucks for HOn3. Pretty nice castings. They scale out to 6'6" in TT - a full foot longer than proto... BUT until such time as we have a proper TT scale Andrews truck I can live with the difference. A little off is better than a hole in the head!

They're one-piece castings, can't really tell if Delrin or ABS - but Cyanopoxy works for gluing delrin. In any case, carefully removing the sideframes and mounting them on the centre crosspiece from Gold Coast trucks should do the job! So with this I'll have "looks right" trucks for my USRA hoppers!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: Trucks...

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:03 pm

TTQuebec wrote: A little off is better than a hole in the head!
carefully removing the sideframes and mounting them on the centre crosspiece from Gold Coast trucks should do the job! So with this I'll have "looks right" trucks for my USRA hoppers!

Sounds like a good plan. Post a photo of them when you get some assembled. Who makes those USRA hopper models anyway? Might as well add a photo of them while you are at it?? ....dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Nobody makes them... CER made an N&W hopper - can't remember what class offhand as I'm not an N&W person, but these are somewhat similar to the USRA design. The biggest eye-catching difference is that the N&W cars - and the CER kit (available through PVM) - have a bit of a fishbelly to the side sill, whereas the USRA car has a straight sill there.

I'm going to be ordering a couple of those kits in a bit, and I'm going to first try and see what kind of result I get from modifying the side casting. If good, good. If not, then I'll just build sides to replace the ones in the kit, and just use the ends/slopes and hopper bottoms from the kit. Though in either case it's most likely that I'll replace the resin-cast end braces etc with ones built up from styrene. April 1982 Mainline Modeler has an article on doing a USRA hopper out of an Athearn car, which includes the same process of building new end bracing and ladders - I'll adapt the techniques from that article.

The biggest issue that I can foresee at the moment is that I might have to move the truck centres in by 6" or so to make up for the extra length of the trucks. However, I'll probably *only* do this if the extra length of the truck makes the truck hang out past the end of the car.
Marquette

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:09 pm

I think you can sneak in oversize things generally by making sure things around them are either right on scale or a bit over as well. As long as things look proportionate to those things around them, the eye will be kinder. With trucks it's often the reverse problem, they tend to be undersize.

I'm looking at some of my dabblings in N broad gauge right now (apparently at one stage I was the only broad gauge N modeller in the world). I've got 2mm Association 6mm dia wheels in some Microtrains trucks, which are undersize; the combination of slightly too big and slightly too small looks rubbish. However the Athearn N archbar is a bit bigger than it ought to be, 5'10" w/b, and the 2mm Haggis'n wheels look seriously nice in them.

BTW, on trucks, the 5146 Grandt Line H0n30 truck is a 4' archbar. That ought to be 5'6" in TT . . . but they say it's discontinued.

http://www.upbids.net/asp/detail.asp?id=14483&bigpic=0

Don't know whether archbars would be right for your USRA hopper?

Ben
scaro

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:33 pm

No - the USRA hoppers came delivered with Andrews trucks. Most kept them to the end.
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:12 am

TTQuebec wrote: it's most likely that I'll replace the resin-cast end braces etc with ones built up from styrene. April 1982 Mainline Modeler has an article on doing a USRA hopper out of an Athearn car, which includes the same process of building new end bracing and ladders - I'll adapt the techniques from that article.

It seems like building a hopper with resin cast sides and brass etched end braces, steps and ladders might be a good approach? I think that would give nice thin end parts with not much work. Someone who knows how to make etching might comment on the feasibility? .......dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:08 am

It might be.

I don't yet know aught about etching, but I want to learn sooner rather than later, to do things like metal running boards, various handbrake wheels, Carmer cut levers, and boxcar door hardware, amongst other things.

Something else I think etching might be useful for is the different styles of hopper bottoms - the Yost door arrangement for example was used on a CP hopper series or two, which can be modelled from the Kemtron/PVM panel side car. (There's another CP series for which that kit is very close, including the bottoms).
Marquette

Return to Prototypes / Models