trucks from Czech suitable (maybe?) for NA

trucks from Czech suitable (maybe?) for NA

Postby j p » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:10 pm

I have heard about a maufacturer in Czech, who makes "diamond" trucks which might be suitable also for NA TT.
He makes 3 different trucks for freight cars:
1. cast, wheelbase of the prototype 1800 mm
2. rivetted, wheelbase of the prototype 2000 mm, with leaf spring
3. rivetted, wheelbase of the prototype 2000 mm, with coil spring
Would that be close to some of the NA trucks?
This is the only image I've found (so far)

He makes also 5 types of "pennsylvanian" trucks for passenger cars.
It is hard to guess if those could be used without their photos.
I found only this one. I don't know which of his 5 types it is.
j p

Re: trucks from Czech suitable (maybe?) for NA

Postby scaro » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:42 pm

hi JP do you have his details? i would like to order some ... pass trucks are of particular interest but the freight ones look interesting too.

2000 mm riveted trucks would be exactly what i need.
scaro

Postby j p » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:24 pm

No details. He doesn't have any www page or e-mail, but they can be ordered through his friend's www page or directly at one of the model-railroaders' exchange and trade "fairs" in Prague. But! According to the www page, the trucks are not produced anymore. He offers what is left... The quality of the plastics is not very good. OK for display models, but if used for trains on your layout, it might be a good idea to add German PeHo bearings.
Here is the descripion for the passenger trucks:
wheelbase of the prototype: 2500 mm
1. standard CSD type (1950's)
2. standard DR/DB type
3. central-european type (1920's)
4. type with straight yokes
5. newer version of DR/DB
Each of those can be either ordered as a simple kit or a kit with additional details.
I will ask for more details about the trucks and the additional details.
His flex-rails seem to be interesting too. The production of the flex-rails will be resumed soon (fall 2012)

The www page is http://www.litomysky.cz/
only part of it is available also in English
the trucks are here (in Czech), try google translator: http://www.litomysky.cz/BIX/cambalik.htm

Edit: I have found more pictures, they were hidden very well.
j p

Postby Marquette » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 pm

I don't recall having seen arch bars like those on NA equipment.

The cast sideframe one, however (the one above the arch bar in the last image) is fairly similar to a PSF truck, and with a minor bit of modification (some filing), it could be used to make an acceptable representation of a Pennsy 2D-F8 truck.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:15 pm

Marquette wrote:I don't recall having seen arch bars like those on NA equipment.

The cast sideframe one, however (the one above the arch bar in the last image) is fairly similar to a PSF truck, and with a minor bit of modification (some filing), it could be used to make an acceptable representation of a Pennsy 2D-F8 truck.

Arch bar trucks like the one on the bottom of the picture are similar to the type that was frequently used in freight cars (and some of the lower-end passenger (immigrant) cars of the 1800's.

Here is a refrigerator car from the late 1800's:
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:30 pm

Ah, cool - thanks for that, Sailor! Even though I may know a little about freight equipment between about 1914 and 1960, 19th century stuff I don't know aught about!
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:35 pm

Marquette wrote:Ah, cool - thanks for that, Sailor! Even though I may know a little about freight equipment between about 1914 and 1960, 19th century stuff I don't know aught about!

It's ok. I have been doing some looking into prototypes for 1800's rolling stock to go along with the still-on-hold-and-in-storage 4-2-4 project for some time now.

The main reason why the arch bar trucks went away was due to their weight limitations and tendencies to come apart and cause derailments. The concern for derailments at the time was not human safety, but the loss of cargo and profit. Effectively, those trucks had to be legislated out of service.
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:32 am

Yeah, I'm aware of their history, and also that there were nearly as many variants among arch bar trucks as there were amongst trucks with cast side frames... though I get the impression that the variance in arch bar trucks was more to do with how each railway's shops decided to build them, as opposed to standard designs from truck-makers.

It's interesting to note that though they were barred from interchange service in 193x, they not only continued in use on cars restricted to home road service (MoW, caboose, on-line LCL boxcars, etc.) , but on occasion did venture out in interchange by agreement between the railways in question - I'm thinking as one example of cars owned by the Potlatch Lumber Company, who had a number of cars with arch bar trucks in the 1950s that travelled on the Washington Idaho & Montana (this was the "home road" for them), but also over onto the Northern Pacific's Palouse & Lewiston branch... I seem to recall also an example of such arch bar-equipped boxcars in interchange service in the 1950s in Louisiana, but I can't recall the railways in question.
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:37 am

Also - perhaps this might be of interest to you, if you're after 19th century stuff:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/panamintmodels

He does a bunch of 19th/early 20th century stuff - a couple of freight cars, but trucks mostly. He already has a Fox truck available in TT (of which I intend to get a pair - the Pere Marquette had a caboose that had Fox trucks even in the early 1950s!), but he will on request resize his other stuff to TT scale.
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:33 am

I am interested in building some 1800's era cars, and trucks are the one thing that I cannot build myself right now - not with the tools and supplies I have on hand.
AstroGoat760

Return to Prototypes / Models