Trucks & Couplers

Trucks & Couplers

Postby trknapp » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:57 pm

What coupler is used for North American TT standard gauge models? What mounting height? (NMRA?)
What coupler is used for North American TTn3 models? What mounting height? (NMRA?)
What truck is most commonly used for North American TTn3?
Thanks.....

Tom K.
trknapp

Re: Trucks & Couplers

Postby Marquette » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:21 am

For standard gauge it'd be either Microtrains N scale couplers or Kadee HOn3 couplers. I prefer the N scale because I think they're closer to scale.

For TTn3? Dunno... Maybe Nn3 couplers? Does anyone (Microtrains?) make Z scale couplers?
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby dwyaneward » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:34 pm

For TTn3? Dunno... Maybe Nn3 couplers? Does anyone (Microtrains?) make Z scale couplers?[/quote]

Yes, Microtrains makes Z couplers 903/905 series
Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
------------------------------------
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:17 am

Most current TT modelers appear to use Micro trains N scale couplers, for the last couple of years I've been using N scale McHenry couplers because I like their design better. My TT scale coupler mounting gauge measures 0.35" from railhead to mounting pad on bottom of car. That was calculated to give a center of coupler height near the prototype distance. I don't know if there are any commercial TT coupler gauges available and if so what dimension they use.
I don't know if TTn3 is common but I've seen guys use N track and trucks to model TTn3.5 ( 42 inch gauge) , MTL makes Z scale couplers that are like their N scale couplers but smaller so they might be a possibility although for easier operation N scale MTL couplers could also be used I guess( When modeling in N scale I found the Z scale couplers a fit fussy to mount and use, their knuckle size is kinda small)......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby oldtrainguy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Found this on my computer.

If you search for couplers on the forum you should be able to find this and several other entries.

There should also be a thread on adapting the micro trains coupler height tool to work for TT scale.

MT-1023 TT-scale.pdf
(129.22 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby Richard-B » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:51 am

oldtrainguy wrote:Found this on my computer.
MT-1023 TT-scale.pdf
I drew this up in 2009...
merging information from the MT coupler diagram and the NMRA TT standards.

Here is the companion Standards summary... covering TT, TT-fine and TTn3...
NMRA TT-scale.pdf
NMRA TT Summary
(82.64 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby WillYart » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:01 am

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this and the other coupler threads. I decided on the Micro-Trains 1015 coupler to start with. They came in today; 10 pair (20x) unassembled; they include gear boxes, screws and shims, which factored into my decision. It's quite economical. The instructions recommend carefully burnishing the parts so I have my work set out for me LOL. I've never seen springs so tiny... I have my work set out for me. Feel like I'm being pushed into becoming a Swiss Watchmaker or something!

A side note - I don't want to buy the Micro-Trains lubricant; can't I just use a little white grease or graphite or something?
WillYart

Postby areibel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:29 am

I use regular lock graphite from the hardware store, I think that's pretty much what the MT stuff is. Personally I wouldn't use grease, I'd be afraid of it either getting hard or collecting dust, dirt and cat hairs around here!
areibel

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:36 pm

" I've never seen springs so tiny."

Yeah, they can be hard to assemble till you work out a plan. I'd recommend getting some nice sharp watch makers tweezers for handling and inserting the springs. Also a Micro Trains coupler assemble fixture is nice, it helps to hold the little parts in place. The Mc Henry couplers I've recently been using come assembled and ready to drop into the coupler box so that's one reason I've switched. As for lubrication I've never needed it in the MTL couplers, they are a fairly slippery plastic so seem to work fine dry.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby areibel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:13 pm

I use an Exacto knife for the springs, I'm not sure if the instructions that show it are on the MT site but I saw it in some Kadee literature. Basically take the tip of the knife and slide it into the tighter coiled section on one end, like you're trying to cut a couple turns off. That will hold it on the knife, then you can use that to push the spring into the pocket and put your finger or a dental pick over it to hold it in while you're removing the knife. It doesn't take long to get the hang of, now I only launch about 1 in 20 springs instead of every other one!
areibel

Next

Return to General Discussion