Triang TT on Tillig Bettungsgleis and Advanced-Gleis

Triang TT on Tillig Bettungsgleis and Advanced-Gleis

Postby tfc49 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:15 pm

As a newcomer top the forum, I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before (apologies if that's the case), but can anyone here tell me please if I can run my Triang TT locomotives & wagons on either Tillig's Bettungsgleis (plastic roadbed track) or their modern Advanced Track?

I have successfully operated Triang TT on old BTTB Standard track (hollow profile rail) but I want to build the new layout with modern track.

Thanks in anticipation,

tfc49
tfc49

Re: Triang TT on Tillig Bettungsgleis and Advanced-Gleis

Postby CSD » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:31 pm

Welcome aboard, tfc49!

It should work fine. The only thing to keep in mind is that the new Tillig track is finer than the old BTTB. If you have any unusually large wheel flanges or thicknesses there will be trouble. I have an old BTTB lok that has such fat wheels that it just won't go.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Arseny » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:08 am

Are you sure you have just BTTB lok ?!
All my BTTB loks go ideal on the Tillig tracks. And the HP too, BTW.
Maybe it was ROKAL?

ROKAL loks and wagons, truly, have thick wheel flanges and can not go through Tillig's turnouts (and BTTB's turnouts too)
rokal-br24-2-6-0-t1035.html
Arseny

Postby CSD » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:45 pm

^^^ My bad. It is actually a very old Zeuke loco.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:56 am

I have a fairly large Tri-Ang fleet, and some Tillig Bedding Track, and so far no issues noted, other than the fact that the Tri-Ang equipment goes in the opposite direction of everything else (that is how the motors are wired).
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby The Fish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:17 am

It is very simple to change direction.
1. change polarity of motor ie swap leads
2. the best is to turn magnet through 180 deg ie swap po;larity north to south. this what you will have to do with rail motor and A-1-A diesel
regards
Ted
The Fish

Postby ozman2009 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:36 pm

The Fish wrote:It is very simple to change direction.
1. change polarity of motor ie swap leads
2. the best is to turn magnet through 180 deg ie swap po;larity north to south. this what you will have to do with rail motor and A-1-A diesel
regards
Ted

I wonder if it might be simpler than that, for diesels and electric locos with two trucks anyway. I have Marklin Z scale and all you need to do is reverse the two trucks. Of course for rigid frame locos - eg steam or something like Br260s - that won't work.
Gary
Sydney, Australia
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout".
ozman2009

Postby tfc49 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Dear TTnutters,
thanks to all of you for your advice on using Tri-Ang TT trains on Tillig Bettungsgleis (plastic roadbed track). I finally ordered some track and turnouts from Conrad UK last week and have spent this weekend testing my Tri-Ang locos and rolling stock on it. I am pleased to confirm what AngrySailor302 wrote - Tri-Ang TT is quite compatible with Tilling Bettungsgleis (though on a couple of 4-wheel wagons where the back-to-back measurement of the wheels & axles is at the lower limit of the Tri-Ang standard I found it necessary to increase the back-to-back by roughly 1/4 of a millimetre to ensure consistent running).

As an aside, although the Tillig Bettingsgleis track is correct for international TT scale (1:120, i.e. 2.5mm to the foot)), the size and spacing of the sleepers (ties) is also just about right for modern British concrete sleeper track at the British TT scale (1:101, i.e. 3mm to the foot).
Thanks again for the helpful advice.

Best wishes,
Melvyn
tfc49

Postby railtwister » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:14 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:I have a fairly large Tri-Ang fleet, and some Tillig Bedding Track, and so far no issues noted, other than the fact that the Tri-Ang equipment goes in the opposite direction of everything else (that is how the motors are wired).

Not that surprising, since where Triang comes from, they also drive on the other side of the road! :lol:

British cars also used to be wired with positive grounds rather than the more commonly found negative ground. I had a friend who had a late forties-early fiftie's Bentley, and also still has a late 50's Triumph TR, and he referred to their electrical systems as coming from "Lucas, the prince of darkness"!

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Petercat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:10 am

railtwister wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:I have a fairly large Tri-Ang fleet, and some Tillig Bedding Track, and so far no issues noted, other than the fact that the Tri-Ang equipment goes in the opposite direction of everything else (that is how the motors are wired).

Not that surprising, since where Triang comes from, they also drive on the other side of the road! :lol:

British cars also used to be wired with positive grounds rather than the more commonly found negative ground. I had a friend who had a late forties-early fiftie's Bentley, and also still has a late 50's Triumph TR, and he referred to their electrical systems as coming from "Lucas, the prince of darkness"!

Bill in FtL

Why do the British like warm beer?
Because Lucas also makes refrigerators.
"It's Peter, not Pete. Pete sounds like a bird fart.
Petercat

Return to Layouts / Track Plans