Tri-Ang 0-6-0 "Jinty" Steam Locomotive

Tri-Ang 0-6-0 "Jinty" Steam Locomotive

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:57 pm

Here is my trio of Tri-Ang 0-6-0 "Jinty" Locomotives.

They use the generic 3 axle steam locomotive sub assembly, which is reused in all other Tri-Ang steam locomotives, with some variences, of course.

One thing of note: the wiring for Tri-Ang engines is the opposite of all other TT manufacturers, which means that with polarity aligned for clockwise operation with all other makes of TT trains, the Tri-Ang locomotives will run counter-clockwise.
ImageImage
Jinty next to a Tri-Ang class 08 Shunter (Switcher), showing the common lineage of the power unit. The Jinty and the Class 08 were the locomotives used to debut Tri-Ang TT scale, hence their commonality.
ImageImage
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Tri-Ang 0-6-0 "Jinty" Steam Locomotive

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:23 am

Here is a look "under the hood" of a Tri-Ang T.90 "Jinty" 0-6-0. The shell is held in place via a pair of tabs at the rear of the loco, just above the buffer bar, and a single screw that is inside of the smoke stack. The coupling rods are held in place by a single center screw, and connect to the outer wheels via a pin. Like all Tri-Ang locomotives, the T.90 is simple and complex at the same time.

Here is a port side profile of the chassis and shell: (Note that the motor is assembled around the frame)

Here is a dorsal profile:

Here is an underside profile:

This actually is the worst-off Tri-Ang engine I have, as far as corrosion is concerned, which will be a non-issue this coming week, as I remediate the corrosion. Aside from a case of the squeaks, it actually runs fairly nice.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:37 am

Here is what a Tri-Ang T.90 looks like when disassembled to the maximum extent that does not involve cutting rivets apart:
(Note that the innards of all Tri-Ang locomotives aside from the A1A diesel and the DMU are very close to this, in fact the T.95 Class 08 Diesel shunter uses the exact same chassis.)

Here is the motor, mostly assembled. Note the tabs used to connect the motor to the frame, and the screw used to hold the field section together to the upper bearing.

Here is the centre wheel set, which has the worm gear. Note that the connecting rods have pins on the ends that fit in holes in the outer drive wheels. Only the center drive wheels have screws to hold the connecting rods in place.

Here is the (mostly) assembled chassis. Compare to the chassis photos in the above post. All that is left is to re-solder the pickup wire to the isolated side of the motor.

I did take a full sequence of photos of the tear-down and rebuild to document the process for those that might need some pointers in overhauling and/or repairing Tri-Ang steamers (and the Class 08 shunter).
AstroGoat760

Postby rerapa » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:44 am

Hello,

I am looking for a suitable screw to hold the boiler of my Jinty to the motor frame. This looks like a 1-72, fillister head screw that is 3/4 inch long. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ralph
rerapa

Postby RodTT » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:22 pm

rerapa wrote:Hello,

I am looking for a suitable screw to hold the boiler of my Jinty to the motor frame. This looks like a 1-72, fillister head screw that is 3/4 inch long. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ralph

The spares dept. of the 3mm Society will almost certainly have one but you need to be a member.
RodTT

Postby TiTan downunder » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:51 am

You can use a English thread BA screw - 10BA x 3/4" counter sunk head. It will probably need to be shortened by 3 or 4 threads. Wind a nut 1/2 way down the screw before filing shorter and when you remove the nut it will help re-set the starting thread on the screw.

Easiest source I know of is " Eileens Emporium " in the UK. https://eileensemporium.com/

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby rerapa » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Excellent, thanks!
rerapa

Postby Rich1853 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi Ralph, I did a search for that screw, the following store has them
Grainger
POMPANO BEACH Branch #481
2131 SW 2nd St. Bldg 8
POMPANO BEACH, FL, 33069-3100
USA
6.93 miles
EDIT 08/17/18 the longest they have listed is a 1/2 inch
BUT
Microfasteners.com
has a Philips PAN Head in that size 1-72x3/4 inch
Stainless Steel
$6.85 for 100 pieces
SKU MSPPSU112

definition: fillister has a greater side head height than a pan head and is the preferred head style for use in counterbore holes.

Regards
Rich1853
Melbourne, Florida
Last edited by Rich1853 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby The Fish » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:13 pm

send me your address and I will send you one
Ted
down under
The Fish

Return to Tri-Ang and GEM TT3 Scale Models