Trains 2014 in Vancouver BC

Re: Trains 2014 in Vancouver BC

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:56 pm

CN-TT wrote:@milwrd1: The double slip is Tilligs DKW 83300. I have not a single electric or mechanical problem with it. :thumbup:

Thanks for the update about the double slip switch. Also, thanks for the info and construction pictures in the GuiTTar case gallery :thumbup:
milwrd1

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:22 pm

CN-TT wrote:Thanks for the compliments on my GuiTTar Case display!!!Bjoern

It is a very interesting display!Nicely done and runs very well.

Thank you for the video. Nice to see a track level view. gives me an idea where I need to add more detail and scenery.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:13 pm

I'm alive and recovering from the events of the last week.

As Terry mentioned in a previous post, my wife had a medical emergency last Wednesday night and I had to call an ambulance to get her to the local hospital. Her gall bladder decided to flare up and cause extreme pain. She came home last night and is much better. She will have to watch her diet for a while.
For those of you wondering about possible horrendous medical bills, our subsidized medicare covered most of it. We pay $ 125.50 a month of both of us to cover most medical things. The last few days will cost us $ 50.00 for the ambulance ride, $10.00 a day for the TV and $ 31.00 for the prescription for pain killers. The Hospital room, CAT scan, Ultrasound, IV meds and everything else is covered.

As Kat was supposed to work with me at the show and was in the hospital, I did not have much time to be at the display. I was able to make time for setup and tear down and to talk to a few people but the rest of the time I was working.

Happily Terry, Graeme, Bjorn, Xenia and Voytek did a great job running things.

Setup went late on Friday. The hall was released late to the show and we did not get (we had to go get them and set them up) our tables until 8:30PM. I had hoped to be out by 9 PM but left after 10. After cleaning the track Saturday everything ran well. They did have to remove my hand laid #6 crossover module on Sunday to allow some European equipment to run.
A few pieces of equipment had problems. They have been marked for service. My on again, off again noisy CN SW1200 acted up again. Time to send it back to SAZ Model to be checked. The sound equipped SW1200 ran well. I have a decoder on hand for the next model.

The buildings on one module are all cardboard laser printed models I have designed from CPR plans. The octagonal water tower is the latest model and has more correct colours for CPR. The roof has a bit too shallow a pitch. I have corrected that. The other buildings need to have their colours changed to match. The drawing were made in CorelDraw and Laser colour printed on card stock. I tried to Inkjet print them but my printer is crap! I have a few other files coming from another modeler and hope to have more buildings next show.

With three displays in one, Terry on the left with a set track display, the TT-Tracks modules in the center and Bjorn with his GuiTTar display on the right, we had a very interesting display. Many people stopped to talk and watch. I don't know how many brochures we went through Saturday but the 20 I brought Sunday were gone by the end of the show.

Speaking of the brochure I am thinking about redesigning the brochure to fit on legal sized paper with four panels a side. I think we have too much information crammed into too small a space. Spreading the information out with more white space and pictures might make a better handout.

I am happy with how well the display runs with no maintenance other than track cleaning. It has had no attention since the Chilliwack display a few weeks ago and was stored unused for half a year before that.
The problems we had running European equipment through my hand laid turnouts indicate that we may need two different displays in the future: TT-Tracks to run anything and a US only TT-Free-Mo setup. Of course if some manufacturer comes out with a good #6 turnout (or larger) at a reasonable price that will run anything, the TT-Free-mo could handle anything.

Despite not being able to be at the display much, I still had a good time. Nothing like a show to get the creative juices flowing again. Cars to fix, kits to make for customers, buildings to design and make, a bridge module to finish, modules to add details to.
LoTTs to do.
Much fun ahead!
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:01 pm

As Bill mentioned, we had a lot of interest in our TT. We are the major TT event in North America. This was our tenth train show display in Vancouver over the last five years. Xenia and I have been at every one of them.

Bill Dixon owns a discontinued TT scale starter set from Tillig. We had it on display and I think we could have sold three or four of them because several people asked how much it cost.

There are people who see our trains and want to try TT scale. All I can do is urge them to take the brochure about TT scale and to visit TTNut. I wish someone could help us make it easier for people to get into TT scale modeling. Opportunity awaits at these shows - here are enthusiastic TT modelers, a receptive public, and right beside us is a hobby shop selling model trains.

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:00 am

You guys rock. I always wish I was there.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:43 am

Bill Dixon wrote:For those of you wondering about possible horrendous medical bills
$10.00 a day for the TV

Best wishes to your wife, Bill!
My wife have some problems with her gall bladder and gall-ducts too. So she has to watch her diet all the time. No fat, no fried food, no spicy food, no smoked food, no salt...
I am afraid that according to the latest researches it is harmful to eat at all! :lol:

But what do you mean - "$10.00 a day for the TV" ? Do you mean television in the hospital room or something else?

Bill Dixon wrote:The buildings on one module are all cardboard laser printed models I have designed from CPR plans.

Very nice buildings; but it seems to me that they need some more detalisation.

But why didn't you use water tower from Sazmodel?
Arseny

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:46 pm

Arseny wrote:But what do you mean - "$10.00 a day for the TV" ? Do you mean television in the hospital room or something else?

To get a TV for her cost $10.00 a a day.

Arseny wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:The buildings on one module are all cardboard laser printed models I have designed from CPR plans.

Very nice buildings; but it seems to me that they need some more detalisation.

But why didn't you use water tower from Sazmodel?

The more time I put into designing the buildings the more detail I can add however I am looking for filler models for now. Some day I may build proper models out of Styrene but for now these will do. Have to decide where to spend my limited time.

I wanted an enclosed water tank as they were used a lot in Canada. Open ones like the Saz model tended to freeze solid in the winter.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Previous

Return to Events