Trains 2014 in Vancouver BC

Re: Trains 2014 in Vancouver BC

Postby dileTTante » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:19 am

We began the train show early Saturday with very little sleep and I came home exhausted at the end of the day. Many things went wrong and I was very frustrated at times, but then at other times it was smooth running. The show was well attended and we had lots of interest in TT. The trains themselves attract attention but some people were more than curious about TT. One fellow very likely will get to know us better because he already has lots of old BTTB.

Instead of the usual zoom lens I'm trying a fixed focus 28mm lens from a film camera. I got the 28mm at a swap meet last weekend and am still learning its limitations. I'll try to concentrate on structures Sunday for Arseny. It was difficult to leave the display because things often went wrong. Bill says the structures are cardboard. It may be a while before he writes anything here, being very busy these days.

In one photo of Bjoern and his TT in a guitar case (which is extremely cool!) you can see further back Bill Dixon's TT Tracks setup, and beyond that a bare green table. That's where my new display would have been if it were completed. When we arrived we put together the Kuhn starter set of track. I had brought some lengths of flex track to hold trains as static display. The track is old Krueger and the pieces are each half a meter long. The rail height exactly matches the Kuhn sectional track, so I used a piece of flex on each side to make a large square instead of the basic oval. The table surface is uneven and I predicted we would have problems with the track sagging at the joins every time a train passed. So we taped the track to the table at some of the rail joints.

First I ran just a little Roco BR80 and a few cars and that ran perfectly for about two hours. Problems began and afterwards I think it must have been our tape working loose and the track flexing more. Even my Rheingold set would run well on the layout except the flexing up and down caused the cars to uncouple constantly. We'll try harder Sunday.

I like the Kuhn track and turnouts. I was impressed with the turnouts when Rob Dikken was using them at the Cleveland NMRA show. They look ugly, but Bjoern put Kuehn turnouts in his GuiTTar Case and transformed their appearance, ugly duckling into swan, so to speak. They operate WAY better than the Tillig bedding track turnouts. I'm not one to judge tie spacing and other fine features of appearance, but they work well and I only wish there were some with more gradual curves available.

That's all for now. Bjoern eventually will post some photos and maybe video. Marquette arrived worse for wear after a night out. VoyTTek arrived late in the day. Sunday we'll try to get a decoder in his BR50 for him. I think with winter approaching he is only now resuming work on his TT layout.
- Terry the Tired
Attachments
DSC02600R.JPG
DSC02602R.JPG
DSC02603R.JPG
DSC02604R.JPG
DSC02610R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:23 am

More photos.

We recite in our prayers - 'Bigger than N, smaller than HO.'
-T
Attachments
DSC02611R.JPG
DSC02615R.JPG
DSC02616R.JPG
DSC02618R.JPG
DSC02619R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:17 am

That guitar case is great! More than just a gimmick, it seems to be a pretty good little switching puzzle too.

Thanks, Terry. I always enjoy these show reports.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby milwrd1 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:31 am

Wonderful idea with the guitar case and the switching layout!! A unique idea I haven't seen before.

Much thanks for the pictures!!
milwrd1

Postby CN-TT » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:35 am

Thank you Terry,

I was too tired for doing anything else. I'm getting ready for todays show. More footage to come!!!
"The GuiTTar Case" is still a work in progress.

Like everyday, I went to bed with ONE thing in mind: 'Bigger than N, smaller than HO.'

Bjoern
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:41 am

WOW, WOW, WOW! The guitar is fantastic!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:02 am

Bjoern is full of ideas. Conversations with him are fun. Here are more photos.
-Terry
Attachments
DSC02640R.JPG
DSC02641R.JPG
DSC02654R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby voyttek » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:10 pm

I am so happy I managed to go to The Vancouver Show and it was so nice to meet our TT crowd - all FOUR of YOU again!
Such an inspiration to see some of the new equipment and great ideas. Now that I am back home all that energy will be transferred to my layout (wife and weather permitting).
Attachments
IMG_6768.jpg
Terry - the most dedicated member of TT nut
IMG_6773.jpg
Bill's layout with the most important sign !
IMG_6770.jpg
North Korean train on friendly Canadian track
IMG_6776.jpg
The longest train assembly on TT track
voyttek

Postby MacG » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:55 pm

@CN-TT: This is a nice idea with the "The GuiTTar Case". Perhaps a little bit deep, but a good layout for switching. Can you install it in the lid of the case?
MacG

Postby CN-TT » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:41 pm

Thanks for the compliments on my GuiTTar Case display!!!
It was a very good show and nice to see you TT guys again. I think we’ve created some interest in TT.
Between us TT Nuts, we bought and sold some goodies, installed and programmed a couple of DCC decoders and talked “TT”.
It was nice to see the “Rheingold” from Terry in TT-real. I made a camera ride on Bills TT-Tracks and inside my “GuiTTar Case”.
OK, “The GuiTTar Case” kept me kinda busy but not because of some issues with it. The people were really interested but mostly amazed :wtf: by this display. Even a guy said it’s “cute”! A guy!!! I told him, that’s what most of the girls say. :lol: A lot of people can imagine a gun in a case like this but not really a model railroad. As pacifist I’ve chosen TT. I just finished it to this stage a few days before the show. I’m very happy how well everything worked with the servo turnout motors and my remote uncouplers. On the last day I even told a few interested people to give me a challenge for switching the cars from where they were spotted to a different place. I should have done it for some money. :doh:
Terry always said “It’s bigger than ‘N’, smaller than ‘H0’!” I suggested to make a big banner with our new slogan!?

@MacG: I first thought of installing it into the lid but it would make for a bad name "The GuiTTare Case Lid"??? :think: :lol: Then I decided to put it inside the case. I wanted it inside to be seen from above. There will be some industrial structures and pictures on the sides.

Bjoern
Attachments
DSCF2529.JPG
DSCF2534.JPG
PICT0297.JPG
PICT0302.JPG
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

PreviousNext

Return to Events