Train show in Chilliwack BC 19 October

Train show in Chilliwack BC 19 October

Postby dileTTante » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:50 am

Sunday 19 October Bill Dixon and I exhibited TT at the train show in Chilliwack British Columbia, a community just over an hour's drive east of Vancouver. The show is a two day event. People said attendance was better Saturday, but we were there only Sunday. There were fewer exhibitors than last year, although there was enough variety for entertainment. Bill brought his TT Tracks layout. My friend Graeme drove me there and helped us through the day.

I didn't take many photos. Bill intends to post a video and photos soon. He ran two SW1200's, one with sound. I had the opportunity to try out some trains acquired just this year, especially the Tillig set of the Rheingold. Hope to have the last two cars of the set lighted in time for the next show in November.

Despite the modest attendance and even though we were located well back in the venue, we had many people interested in our display. Some serious inquiries, and hopefully we'll see a few of the folks again at the upcoming show in Vancouver.

-Terry C.
Attachments
DSC02474R.JPG
DSC02476R.JPG
DSC02480R.JPG
DSC02490R.JPG
DSC02497R.JPG
dileTTante

Re: Train show in Chilliwack BC 19 October

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks for the pix :thumbup: looks like it was fun.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gerhard_k » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 am

dileTTante wrote:Sunday 19 October Bill Dixon and I exhibited TT at the train show in Chilliwack British Columbia.
I had the opportunity to try out some trains acquired just this year, especially the Tillig set of the Rheingold.

-Terry C.

Wow, Terry - I never knew they had dome cars in Germany (photo #4) - or is that a bit of modeler's license?
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 am

gerhard_k wrote:
dileTTante wrote:Sunday 19 October Bill Dixon and I exhibited TT at the train show in Chilliwack British Columbia.
I had the opportunity to try out some trains acquired just this year, especially the Tillig set of the Rheingold.

-Terry C.

Wow, Terry - I never knew they had dome cars in Germany (photo #4) - or is that a bit of modeler's license?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheingold_(train)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby LVG1 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 pm

gerhard_k wrote:

-Terry C.

http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/TEE/

There were five dome cars in Europe.
Three of them were made for Rheingold train (two for regular service + one back-up) in 1962. It connected Netherland's North Sea coast with Swiss Alps via German Rhine railway.
Two further cars were made in 1963 for Rheinpfeil train (Netherlands—Munich) which was a portion working arrangement with Rheingold train.
You can tell the first three from the last two cars by their domes' window arrangements. The first three cars had eight rows of small windows while the last two cars had four rows of long windows.
Because of their height, these cars could initially not be used in Netherlands. So they had to be added and taken out, respectively, at the German-Dutch border.
All cars were delivered in Rheingold's distinctive dark blue and off-white livery. Around 1965, they were recolored into red and off-white TEE livery.
In the early 1970's, they got permission on Dutch tracks. But in the mid-1970's Deutsche Bundesbahn (DB) abandoned them.
They were sold and have changed between various Swiss, German and Swedish (I'm not sure if also Dutch) charter-train operators since. Eventually, their domes were lowered; so they can be used all over Europe now. One of them got back its original color few years ago.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby dileTTante » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:10 pm

This page --
http://www.rheingold-zug.com/bilder_fah ... _2012.html
--shows the Rheingold as in the set from Tillig. On the web site there are many pages of photos of variations in the train.

The model looks impressive and got attention at the show. It runs well but the cars need large radius curved track. It's difficult to add lighting because the dome and dining cars are bi-level, and because the other three cars have no electrical connection between the top of the car and the wheel pickups under the floor. Design flaw, I think, as the openings in the floors are in the wrong place. The cars have to be dismantled and modified a bit to add the wiring.

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby Arseny » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:29 am

Did you do any photos of the buildings on your layout? It will be very interesting...
Arseny

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:12 pm

dileTTante wrote:Sunday 19 October Bill Dixon and I exhibited TT at the train show in Chilliwack British Columbia, a community just over an hour's drive east of Vancouver. The show is a two day event. People said attendance was better Saturday, but we were there only Sunday. There were fewer exhibitors than last year, although there was enough variety for entertainment. Bill brought his TT Tracks layout. My friend Graeme drove me there and helped us through the day.-Terry C.

As Terry has noted it was a good display. After some initial setup issues, didn't get the rail in the rail joiner when joining the module and the track needed cleaning, things ran well. Pretty good for a display that has not been used since March.
My #6 crossover module performed well. We did notice one issue with power. When we broke apart the display on the left side to fix the rail in rail joiner issue, the train stopped working on the layout. It looks like there is a good power feed clockwise around the layout but not so good counter clockwise. Time to add a set of feeders to the station corner.
Terry posted a few good pictures. Here are a few from my not so good camera.
20141020 Cwk CN.jpg
This train, mostly, is made up of equipment I worked on the night before the show.
The CNR SW1200 had couplers and handrials installed. I also drilled out the spark arrestors.
The CNR Box car had couplers installed.
The next two box cars were already done.
Just visible in the back are two Maisto tank cars, a four bay hopper and a caboose.
I have been staring at these cars for a while wondering what to do with them.
Finally I dug out some tools and went at it. Unscrew the trucks and discard. Cut off the coupler boxes. With a large power drill, drill out the bolsters to fit a small piece of plastic rod. Drill and tap the rod for the truck screws. Drill the frame for the couplers.
Install trucks and couplers and run them. The caboose couplers ended up a bit high but worked. All the others were fine.
Since the show I have done four more cars. They all need Dullcoat and weathering but are good enough to use.
20141019longdisplay.jpg
Here is the display from the staging yard end. Terry has the yard ful of European equipment.
The just visible headlight is the CB SW1200 with its train on the inner main. The CPR SW1200 is parked with its train on the long spur that ends on the station module. A steam powered passenger train is just passing in front of the station.
20141019chwk_display.jpg
The CPR SW1200 is pulling a train of (mostly) resin cars, sadly not all lettered yet. Not much happening on the resin model front. Too much life going on and not enough get up and go. Working on it.

With the exception of coupler issues, one Joma tank car had low couplers, fixed, and my first Maisto caboose conversion had high couplers - not fixed yet and the bumps in the module joints cause a few uncouplings with Terrys European equipment, everything ran well after the track was cleaned.

At the Trains 2014 setup in a few short days I will spend more time leveling the tables and the modules on the tables.
That should reduce the coupler issues.

You may have noticed the two different color green table covers. I went to the Dollar store to buy covers and they only had two for sale so I purchased them. Then I went to another dollar store and they only had two of a slightly different color, so I purchased those as well. Been going back to the two stores weekly to see if either have restocked. No luck yet.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:17 pm

Arseny wrote:Did you do any photos of the buildings on your layout? It will be very interesting...

The station is an Auhagen model with most of the gingerbread left off to make it look less European.
I an working on printed cardboard line side structures to populate the layout.
I have the Tool Shed house on one corner.
I am working on an enclosed water tank. I am having problems getting good colour out of my inkjet printer. Going to try the colour laser at work. I should have the basic shell ready for Trains 2014.
I have a line on images for other CPR structures. When I get them I will convert them to Corel Draw images and colour print them. They will do until I scratch build replacements.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:18 pm

:thumbup:
ConducTTor
Site Admin