Track...

Track...

Postby Marquette » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Does Tillig not have a 90 degree crossing? How stupid is that?
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: Track...

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:31 pm

Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Kuehn of course doesn't... blech, only option appears to hand lay... :<
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Arseny » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:28 am

Marquette wrote:Does Tillig not have a 90 degree crossing? How stupid is that?

No 90 degree crossings. Only 15-degree (art.83160) and 30-degree (art.83170).

...The situation becomes better... when I was 10-years old, there was only 15-degree crossing available from BTTB... :grin:
Arseny

Postby j p » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:49 am

Tillig doesn't have even 24 degree crossing, which is really needed for their track system, for double crossover.
j p

Postby LVG1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:21 am

That's not stupid. That's European.
In Europe 90° crossings are only used on streetcar lines but not on proper railroads.
(The only exception that I know is Spain.)
From the beginning the European Railroads crossed each other on bridges. So they didn't have to take care of the other railroads traffic. So you won't find a 90° crossing on European railroads. And that's why you won't find it in the assortment of a modell track manufacturer producing for the European market only.

Arseny wrote:when I was 10-years old, there was only 15-degree crossing available from BTTB... :grin:

I don't know how old you are. But when I was 10, they didn't have a 15° system at all. That time they had 22.5° and 45° crossings.

j p wrote:Tillig doesn't have even 24 degree crossing, which is really needed for their track system, for double crossover.

Double crossovers have been out-of-date for decades (too expensive). Only in very few cases they are still built (on Berlin S-Bahn, for instance—but only with 40-km/h-switches).
"Slim" switches for higher speeds are modern. So you will hardly find a double crossover with "slim" switches in Europe.

But I would agree that 24° crossings for modell railroads would sell, although.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Arseny » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:38 am

LVG1 wrote:
Arseny wrote:when I was 10-years old, there was only 15-degree crossing available from BTTB... :grin:

I don't know how old you are. But when I was 10, they didn't have a 15° system at all. That time they had 22.5° and 45° crossings.

Hmm, maybe I was wrong and they were 22.5-degree?..

I was born in 1969, but I never saw 45-degree crossings...
Arseny

Postby LVG1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:46 am

Arseny wrote:Hmm, maybe I was wrong and they were 22.5-degree?..

I was born in 1969, but I never saw 45-degree crossings...

They started with their 15° system in the early 1990's after they were taken over by Mr. Tillig.
Until then they only had their hollow profile tracks with 22.5° switches only.
I'm not sure, but it's possible that they launched their 45° crossing after 1979.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Arseny » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:20 am

LVG1 wrote:That's not stupid. That's European.
In Europe 90° crossings are only used on streetcar lines but not on proper railroads.
From the beginning the European Railroads crossed each other on bridges.

Make bridges, not crossings! :smile:

TripleCrossing.jpg
Arseny

Postby j p » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:48 am

LVG1 wrote:

That's not stupid. That's European.
From the beginning the European Railroads crossed each other on bridges. So they didn't have to take care of the other railroads traffic. So you won't find a 90° crossing on European railroads. And that's why you won't find it in the assortment of a modell track manufacturer producing for the European market only.

j p wrote:Tillig doesn't have even 24 degree crossing, which is really needed for their track system, for double crossover.

Double crossovers have been out-of-date for decades (too expensive). Only in very few cases they are still built (on Berlin S-Bahn, for instance—but only with 40-km/h-switches).
"Slim" switches for higher speeds are modern. So you will hardly find a double crossover with "slim" switches in Europe.

But I would agree that 24° crossings for modell railroads would sell, although.

EW3 is not a slim turnout. Tillig does not make any slim turnouts, only Filigran does.
Max. speed into the curve would be 40 km/h or less for EW3 (even when applying shortening to 2/3). Double crossovers were used all around Europe, with turnouts similar to EW3 geometry or better. They are not used on new high speed railways, but the turnouts used there are very far from anything like EW3. The double crossovers are still used even now either on old tracks or on new tracks where the space does not allow for two single crossovers.
(Anyway, I need it for 1950's. :)

A slim turnout looks like this - and even that is an old "Reichsbahn" turnout, shortened to 2/3 of the correct length.
http://www.ttfiligran.de/images/Art/gross/ew1855-echtholz-li.jpg
j p

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models