Track...

Re: Track...

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Richard-B wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:Does anyone have advice on how to reduce the flanges on BTTB motive power?
Some discussion on similar issues here:
http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.as ... C_ID=11060

Thanks for the link.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby dileTTante » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm sorry to have alarmed you with my caution about Kuehn track. I regret having posted that because it seems I was wrong.

My memory is often unreliable but I had trouble running BTTB on the Kuehn track and through the turnouts and I remember being disappointed by this. However, just now I took out some Kuehn track and turnouts and tried running a BTTB E94 and a BTTB VT171 taxi. There seems to be no problem with flanges hitting the ties. I tore up my show layout recently. For the tests just now I used the Kuehn track and turnouts loosely laid on a table.

I'm used to being wrong and don't mind it, unless someone is going to try grinding wheel flanges. It would be good if someone else could confirm that running BTTB on Kuehn track is okay. I plan to keep on using Kuehn track anyway.

For my show layout (40inches X 80 inches) seen in the photos the inner track is the Kuehn starter set and the outer oval is Tillig flex. The Kuehn starter set was extended by using old flex bought in the '90s from DNS in Indiana. It's marked made by Bing. I had some Tillig flex and used it to get the larger curves for passenger cars. The Kuehn and the Bing are the same code and the Tillig track is definitely larger code. (Photos show old BTTB cars on the Kuehn track but their wheels were exchanged for modern Modmueller wheels.)

At the Chilliwack train show in 2015 we didn't have TT Tracks. Tibi and I used small layouts. Tibi's was made with all Tillig track. He ran old BTTB trains. It worked well and looked great. The problem with our layouts is that with so many tracks it's difficult to join up the modules.

Once again I apologize for raising this issue, and for posting TMI now.
-Terry C
Attachments
DSC02851R.JPG
DSC03307R.JPG
DSC03308R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby MacG » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:48 pm

The distance from railhead to spikes vary between 1.15mm and 1.35mm. I asked a friend and he said his BTTB BR92, T334 and rolling stock with metals wheels runs great on Kuehn Track.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:50 pm

dileTTante wrote:I'm sorry to have alarmed you with my caution about Kuehn track.

My memory is often unreliable but I had trouble running BTTB on the Kuehn track and through the turnouts and I remember being disappointed by this. However, just now I took out some Kuehn track and turnouts and tried running a BTTB E94 and a BTTB VT171 taxi. There seems to be no problem with flanges hitting the ties. I tore up my show layout recently. For the tests just now I used the Kuehn track and turnouts loosely laid on a table.

I'm used to being wrong and don't mind it, unless someone is going to try grinding wheel flanges. It would be good if someone else could confirm that running BTTB on Kuehn track is okay. I plan to keep on using Kuehn track anyway.

No problem at all, I am going to try Kuehn track regardless.

I have some BTTB based conversion projects that I will simply figure out a way around to use if I need to (namely, a class 107 diesel, four BR 81 0-8-0s and a BR 86 2-8-2 for conversion projects).

dileTTante wrote:For my show layout (40inches X 80 inches) seen in the photos the inner track is the Kuehn starter set and the outer oval is Tillig flex. The Kuehn starter set was extended by using old flex bought in the '90s from DNS in Indiana. It's marked made by Bing. I had some Tillig flex and used it to get the larger curves for passenger cars. The Kuehn and the Bing are the same code and the Tillig track is definitely larger code. (Photos show old BTTB cars on the Kuehn track but their wheels were exchanged for modern Modmueller wheels.)

At the Chilliwack train show in 2015 we didn't have TT Tracks. Tibi and I used small layouts. Tibi's was made with all Tillig track. He ran old BTTB trains. It worked well and looked great. The problem with our layouts is that with so many tracks it's difficult to join up the modules.

Once again I apologize for raising this issue, and for posting TMI now.
-Terry C

Don't worry about it, I have a predilection to posting TMI now and again, and that is unlikely to change.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:52 pm

MacG wrote:The distance from railhead to spikes vary between 1.15mm and 1.35mm. I asked a friend and he said his BTTB BR92, T334 and rolling stock with metals wheels runs great on Kuehn Track.

Excellent. As soon as the wider turnouts get to be available, I expect to be building my large TT layout as soon as I can. Four of my current North American conversion projects are BTTB BR81/BR92 chassis based, so that makes me feel very good right now.
AstroGoat760

Postby Surovi » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:03 am

Are the problems with kuehn points resolved?
Radius is not the problem because I will use R2 and the train can drive on R1.
But:

C/P from new-tt-track-system-by-kuehn-modell-t1539.html

"Oh yes, the turn outs. Some people found problems while driving through the branch line; my ‘blanket’-waggon sometimes suddenly decides to prefer the straight way (bad boy!). This happens because Kühn constructed the guide rail too low – well, well. But most times it works. And it isn’t all gold at Tilligs track, hm?
The frog can be energized; unfortuneately only the rails, not the frogs bottom (...sounds strange, doesn't it? the frogs bottom can be energized. Mhkay...). RocoLine does it better in H0, they follow the NEM and all wheels slighty touch the frogs bottom (again), so they get power all the way through. But with Kühn it's but better than nothing: Short locomotives can get power here; a test with a 'Köf' will follow."
Surovi

Postby Surovi » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:32 pm

No one?
Kuehn points are still not for recommendation?
Or...?
I don’t think that there is enough experience to really give a yay or nay just yet.
Surovi

Postby MacG » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Here isn't is enough experience. I think because of the difficult way to get some. At www.tt-board.de isn't to read, that they are bad. Some people have minor issues with the curved Kuehn turnouts. But they have they solved, with an additional polarization of the frog.

I'm waiting for the long turnouts WL10 and WR10. Because of their geometry.
MacG

Postby j p » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Surovi wrote:No one?
Kuehn points are still not for recommendation?
Or...?

Kuehn turnouts are not available yet. Even German Elriwa or MBS do not have them yet. Then it is hard to recommend or not recommend.
Their geometry is prototypically correct for nr.6, which means that with the usual shortening of track lengths in TT they can be used as nr.9.
I want to buy some of those and compare to the competitor's (TT Filigran) product. TT Filigran makes turnouts of the same geometry. Kuehn is cheaper.

Filigran's frog looks like this:

If you have problems with Kuehn's older "streetcar" turnout, the reason could be that those do not follow the NEM standards for trains, their radius is smaller than the minimum recommended by NEM. You can use them for short engines and short cars. Longer cars and engines (manufactured according to NEM or NMRA) can have problems. NMRA RP-11 standard for curves is similar. (Tillig's EW1 does not follow the standards either)

Your comment about all wheels touching the frog bottom in HO seems hard to believe. How could that be possible when the flange height varies? How about the wheels without any flanges?
j p

Postby MacG » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Only the WL10 or WR10 aren't available. Kuehn hasn't they yet.

But the WL20, WR20, BWL and BWR are available, the first ones since six years.
MacG

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models